Turn on thread page Beta

contains spoilers-Saddest moments in literature watch

ReputationRep:
    Definitely the end of Of Mice and Men.

ReputationRep:
    I forgot one... the end of the Buddy trilogy, by Nigel Hinton (some people might have studied the original 'Buddy' in school in Yr 9, that's when I first read it. I was hooked from the first page and read the two sequels) the ending is very, very sad, and it made me cry.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be pathetic and be the first to say Harry Potter, when you found out the truth about Snape and Lily Potter in book 7.
    Not the saddest, but sad. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm a hard one. Anna Karenina?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashes_to_Ashes)
    I'm going to be pathetic and be the first to say Harry Potter, when you found out the truth about Snape and Lily Potter in book 7.
    Not the saddest, but sad. :sad:
    You're not the first to say Harry Potter, i said it too and someone before me also said it. But i mentioned a different bit.

ReputationRep:
    When Snapey died :cry:

That and Wuthering Heights, Lolita, Return of the Native, 1984... who am I kidding? I cry at everything. My friend thinks it's all my repressed emotion at real-life events. Hah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kater Murr)
    When Snapey died :cry:

That and Wuthering Heights, Lolita, Return of the Native, 1984... who am I kidding? I cry at everything. My friend thinks it's all my repressed emotion at real-life events. Hah.
    Phew, I do not feel like such a weirdo, although I found it more upsetting when you found out the background with him and Lily. :sad:
    And 1984! I agree, I think that book disturbed me a bit actually.

ReputationRep:
    Birdsong :sad: that book was so sad!

ReputationRep:
    The Book Thief is possibly the saddest book ever written and I cried every five seconds through it. I cried reading Goodnight Mister Tom, when Zach dies. Aslan's sacrifice was horrific as well. To Kill a Mockingbird when Dill says about his parents 'They just wasn't interested in me.' The Nightingale and the Rose, by Oscar Wilde along with The Happy Prince. Oh and the scene in The Northern Lights where they find the little boy without his daemon and I cried after what happened to Lee.

ReputationRep:
    For me reading Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas almost got me weeping buckets.

And also Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix after Sirius dies and Harry finds the mirror..

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter, when Sirius, Dumbledore, Snape, Mad eye, Hedwig, Dobby, Tonks and Lupin die

ReputationRep:
    Sirius dying.

Will and Lyra having to split up.

The end of Of Mice and Men.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this thread has spoilt so many potential reads for me.... Knew I shouldn't have looked at it....

When Jesus got crucified in The Bible.... that was a real bummer....
    (sorry if I've spoilt that for anyone....)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, maybe the OP should add a spoilers warning in the thread title!

ReputationRep:
    Lucas by Kevin Brooks. Beautifully written book, vast descriptive writing and characterisation and then that happens. He, the most innocent,simple, beautiful boy who lived, an inspiration, is accused of touching up a girl, and you know in your heart of hearts he didn't.

The Time Travellers Wife made me cry too but I don't really remember which bit.

Glad my thread inspired yours!

ReputationRep:
    Lol. I thought i would be the only one reffering to Harry Potter :p:

I've never cried whilst reading a book but i just wasn't 'right' for several days after Sirius died. I'm still not sure i've fully recovered

ReputationRep:
    Definatly the end of "of mice and men"...I dont think it quite compares to harry potter somehow...definatly good though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by schrodinger's cat)
    Lol. I thought i would be the only one reffering to Harry Potter :p:

I've never cried whilst reading a book but i just wasn't 'right' for several days after Sirius died. I'm still not sure i've fully recovered
    Ditto! It's still to painful to think about really. And I know which page it happens, so every time I re-read that book I'm constantly thinking "200 pages to go, 170 pages to go...."

ReputationRep:
    in little women when beth dies makes me cry like a baby.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    The end of Lord of the Flies, when Ralph starts crying

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.