Turn on thread page Beta

contains spoilers-Saddest moments in literature watch

ReputationRep:
    I cry at any book ...even if it has the TINIEST sad moment, it's lame really.

First one that comes to mind is "My Sister's Keeper" .........Oh man, hesitating to include that but seriously i cried like a fool at the ending of that [and bits in the middle too if not mistaken]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elrobi)
    The Book Thief is possibly the saddest book ever written and I cried every five seconds through it. I cried reading Goodnight Mister Tom, when Zach dies. Aslan's sacrifice was horrific as well. To Kill a Mockingbird when Dill says about his parents 'They just wasn't interested in me.' The Nightingale and the Rose, by Oscar Wilde along with The Happy Prince. Oh and the scene in The Northern Lights where they find the little boy without his daemon and I cried after what happened to Lee.

I've just read The Book Theif and it was one of the best books I've ever read. My sister walked in just as I was reading the last few pages and I had to try so hard to make it look like I hadn't been crying I only realised after I finished it that I had been reading the teenage edition rather than the adult. I don't know if there is any difference apart from the cover.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, in His Dark Materials, when Lyra and Will have to separate and they visit the same spot every year to be near to each other. Also, when Gatsby died in The Great Gatsby, it was quite unjust, and he was so likeable. I wouldn't say this one was so sad, but when Dorian died in The Picture of Dorian Gray, was quite cool though. I wonder if her knew or guessed what would happen? I think I was a bit sad when Fred died in Harry Potter (it was ages ago so I don't remember properly), and thought it was kinda funny when George's ear got...removed? That's about all I can think of... Maybe something from Wuthering Heights but I can't remember the book much, I read it ages ago.

ReputationRep:
    When Dobby died.

Also, the sacrifice of Aslan.
    When Jondalar's brother dies in The Children of The Earth.
    Anna Karenina - just everything. Oh, except Kitty and Levin. :love:

ReputationRep:
    I cried at the Kite Runner such an amazing book, and I've found out I'm studying it in English lit next year!

ReputationRep:
    When will and lara split up in order to leave a window open for the land of the dead in HDM

ReputationRep:
    Captain Campion tells Hazel what has happened to the Sandleford warren, in Watership Down.

ReputationRep:
    Marley & Me where the dog died at the end.

ReputationRep:
    Marley and Me had me in tears for so long!

ReputationRep:
    There's a book called After You'd Gone, which was also really, really sad. I cry at anything!

ReputationRep:
    the book thief. ohmygod. i was BAWLING at the end of it. every single time i read it, it makes me cry! i started crying on the TRAIN the other day. it's just so beautifully written as well.
    mmm the kite runner, and the god of small things. that made me cry so much.

NB to whoever's studying the kite runner in eng lit next year: YOU ARE SO LUCKY AND I AM JEALOUS. i had to do the color purple. urgh.

ReputationRep:
    Madame Bovary! I cried because I felt so sorry for Charles
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    of mice and men, the ending!
    also the lovely bones made me cry

ReputationRep:
    It was quite sad when Alice died in Cell by Stephen King.
    Not crying material though, I actually found myself laughing due to how she died. Some random numpty chucked a brick at her - wtf.
    But

If I'm more serious, the tale of Clarice Starling trying to save the horse in The Silence of the Lambs - Quite morbid, and made rather more saddening by the fact it's an old memory she's being provoked to tell by Lecter, not something that's happening at present. Memory perhaps hurts hearts more than the actual event of something -

I'm not doing the classic novel treatment, I find the general stories utterly boring, or just in general very pretentious, and hence never feel too upset by the things going on in them - Although the end of Romeo and Juliet is rather good, as sad as it is :yy:

ReputationRep:
    every other scene in A Thousand Splendid Suns (khaled Hosseini)

Amazing book.

ReputationRep:
    On the beach by Nevil Shute

The entire book is just very sad, in that their all living their lives normally, planning for a future that doesn't exist. And at the end when Dwight sinks his sub.

All too sad for words

ReputationRep:
    In Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone when Harry sees his parents in the Mirror of Erised, in His Dark Materials when Will's Dad dies, and the end of Private Peaceful.
    There's also a bit in the newest Georgia Nicolson book which made me cry (but it does get better in the end).

ReputationRep:
    By FAR: at Dumbledore's funeral in Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

note: I also cried madly at the dedication of HP and the Deadly Hallows, but that's hardly a moment in the book :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Dumbledore's death.

ReputationRep:
    Not really a specific moment, but the mentality of Salieri in 'Amadeus' by Peter Shaffer. Just the fact that he is the only one who fully appreciates Mozart's music for what it is, and at the same time is diven to insanity by his innability to produce music that is comparable. Kind of hard to explain, but I can't recommend the play highly enough.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.