Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i found snape's death to be the saddest moment in the harry potter series, i cried so much at that. also the ending of lord of the flies, and wuthering heights.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's a play but when I got to the end of Journey's End where Raleigh is brought dying to Stanhope in the dug-out I sobbed so much for like 10 minutes in front of my whole English class ...quite embaressing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gee_shakedown)
    Well it's a play but when I got to the end of Journey's End where Raleigh is brought dying to Stanhope in the dug-out I sobbed so much for like 10 minutes in front of my whole English class ...quite embaressing
    oh, i know how you feel. i cried after Willy died in the play Death of a Salesman in front of my lit class, which was quite embarrassing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    oh, i know how you feel. i cried after Willy died in the play Death of a Salesman in front of my lit class, which was quite embarrassing
    oh lord. the countdown in your sig. i didn't realise it was only 25 days off :eek: aahhh!

ReputationRep:
    The end of Twenty Thousand Streets Under the Sky made me cry more than any other book...I feel all tearful just thinking about it.

The end of Hangover Square, for the having such bleak final lines.

The bit where (highlight text to read) David leaves Giovanni in Giovanni's Room.

The final meeting between Humbert and Lolita in Lolita.

The end of Northern Lights, and also, as lots of other people have already said, Will and Lyra's separation.

Sebastian's descent into alcoholism in Brideshead Revisited. Not a moment as such, but hopefully anyone's who read Brideshead will know what I mean.

ReputationRep:
    Jude the Obscure...

Nineteen Eighty-Four.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    When they meet in the park afterwards.
    The Comedians.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    When Jones dies
    Animal Farm.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Death of Boxer.
    A Game of Thrones.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Eddard dying as his daughter watches.

The House of Spirits.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Jaime's murder by the regime

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bysshe)
    Sebastian's descent into alcoholism in Brideshead Revisited. Not a moment as such, but hopefully anyone's who read Brideshead will know what I mean.
    yeah, upsetting indeed. i find that there's a sort of sense that he's 'doomed' as soon as he appears in the book, with his eccentricity and such... i bet the new film absolutely murders it, ugh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thats funny)
    It was quite sad when Alice died in Cell by Stephen King.
    Not crying material though, I actually found myself laughing due to how she died. Some random numpty chucked a brick at her - wtf.
    I was absolutely shocked at that, it was the suddenness that shocked me.

(Original post by shinyhappy)
    Also, We need to talk about Kevin - the big twist near the end (won't give it away for those of you who haven't read it.) It's an AMAZING book, probably the best I've ever read, so I heartily recommend it.
    Completely agree with this, We Need to Talk About Kevin is superb... one part of the twist I'd kind of guessed, but the more brutal part I found shocking. I've never cried at a book before, being a thoroughly callous person, but that wasn't far off.

The end of Private Peaceful, Fred Weasley's death in HP7 (why has no one mentioned this), the very ending of HP7 (not because it was good... it was sad that the series ended in such a weak way!), Lord of the Flies is sad at so many points though most particularly at the very end...

Has anyone read Thomas by Robin Jarvis? That ended sadly.

Oh, and The Secret River... there's so much regret and guilt at the end...

ReputationRep:
    oh and 'a prayer for owen meany' is very sad, and 'the lovely bones' by alice sebold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisQ)
    I was absolutely shocked at that, it was the suddenness that shocked me...
    Yeah I know. I was like wtf - What a way to go. And just found it funny because it was such a sudden and absurd death. But it was sad as the character's moved on and had to leave her behind. Good book, bit of a mad ending though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    oh lord. the countdown in your sig. i didn't realise it was only 25 days off :eek: aahhh!
    yeah:eek3:

ReputationRep:
    End of LOTR.

ReputationRep:
    and Dumbledores death!

ReputationRep:
    The Catcher in the Rye being published.

When Tad dies in Cujo, definitely.

x

ReputationRep:
    You should put a "*SPOILER*" detonation in the title. I nearly got tricked into reading the posts.

ReputationRep:
    Danielle steel's book johnny angel . . . such a sad book :bawl:

also Tess of the D'urbervilles is quite sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thats funny)
    Yeah I know. I was like wtf - What a way to go. And just found it funny because it was such a sudden and absurd death. But it was sad as the character's moved on and had to leave her behind. Good book, bit of a mad ending though.
    I couldn't finish it... I got to the part where the guy goes to the town where his son was? I can't remember...Then I got bored.

ReputationRep:
    How do I edit the thread title to put spoilers in it?

ReputationRep:
    Goodnight Mr. Tom has some sad bits in, when Zac dies for one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    I couldn't finish it... I got to the part where the guy goes to the town where his son was? I can't remember...Then I got bored.
    Yeah, the ending does start to get a bit silly I found. BUt as far as blood, gore and entertainment is concerned it's quite amusing :yy:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.