Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happinessxo)
    in little women when beth dies makes me cry like a baby.
    Did you put the book in the freezer ?:p:

i would have to say most if not all the harry potter moments mentioned in this thread.

the end of Goodnight mister Tom, we he calls him Das, also when hes found in the cupboard with the dead baby.

also whoever said the death of karenin in unbearable lightness of being, i think most my english class would agree with that!

ReputationRep:
    Lucas like someone else said, beautiful. The end of Noughts and Crosses, just the newspaper bit. I was a mess after that!

I didnt cry, but found some of Wuthering Heights (the grave bit in particular) quite hard to take in... I'm just a bit too connected with books that I read lol - I always always put myself in the situations that characters are in, upsets me even more!

Agree with Journeys End too - went to see it in Brighton and woah, that specific bit is quite horrific.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenFah)
    Marley & Me.

I won't say what happened, but those who read it know exactly what I mean
    i read that just after my dog died (also called marley coincidentally) and i cried sooo hard at the end.

the noughts and crosses series makes me cry every time.

ReputationRep:
    i know it's not a novel, but the poem 'do not go gentle into that good night' by dylan thomas... gets me every time.

ReputationRep:
    My Sister's Keeper kept me crying for days after finishing it

ReputationRep:
    In Tess D' Umbervilles when she sits and laments about the most important day of the year, one which she doesn't know, her death day...
    In the great Gatsby when nick visits Gatsby's house for the last time...
    The final page of Self Abuse by johnathan Self...

These are from the top of my head...will add after thinking deeply

ReputationRep:
    When Dumbledore died.

Edit: And Sirius.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    yeah, upsetting indeed. i find that there's a sort of sense that he's 'doomed' as soon as he appears in the book, with his eccentricity and such... i bet the new film absolutely murders it, ugh.
    Exactly - it's the way he's "doomed" that makes it so awful. I'm prepared to loathe the new film. I don't object to Ben Whishaw (although no one could ever match Anthony Andrews), but from what I've read, it sounds like they've completely messed it up. The trailer was infuriating.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Remains of the Day
    To Kill a Mockingbird
    The Divine Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood
    A Severe Mercy (saddest book ever, I urge you all to read it and weep!)
    Anne of Green Gables
    Hannah's Gift
    Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows
    The Joy Luck Club
    The Red Tent
    Any Human Heart
    Sophie's Choice
    Various Thomas Hardy books too.

:cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    How do I edit the thread title to put spoilers in it?
    When you click 'edit', click 'go advanced' and then change the title.

ReputationRep:
    The Riddle; where

Spoiler:
    Show
    Maerad thinks Cadvan, Darson and Imi are dead

A Darkling Plain

Spoiler:
    Show

The end! Wah!! :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sig.fig.)
    Wow, this thread has spoilt so many potential reads for me.... Knew I shouldn't have looked at it....

When Jesus got crucified in The Bible.... that was a real bummer....
    (sorry if I've spoilt that for anyone....)
    hahah

rep from me :cool:

ReputationRep:
    The bit in Jane Eyre when they're about to get married but then the secret is uncovered and poor Jane has to go. It's so sad, especially considering their heartfelt admissions when they finally admit their love for one another.... that book is so poignant and powerful.

ReputationRep:
    The ending of His Dark Materials, for me.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, Zayne, A Darkling Plain! You're right, that was very sad.

ReputationRep:
    I was most upset in the last Harry Potter book when
    Spoiler:
    Show
    there is just a passing mention to Lupin and Tonks And of course Sirius dying made me cry much too much for a fictional character; I think I became too attached to him :p:

I was also upset reading We Need To Talk About Kevin, at the ending, it was just so emotional, not to mention unexpected!
    Will and Lyra in ending of The Amber Spyglass is certainly up there too.
    There are many more from over the years but I've forgotten a lot currently.

ReputationRep:
    Someone else mentioned this but the scene in The Amber Spyglass where Lyra goes to the land of the dead and leaves Pan behind. I cried for hours!

ReputationRep:
    When Biff, Chip and Kipper lost Lucky, along with the Magic Key.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Epic Win)
    When Biff, Chip and Kipper lost Lucky, along with the Magic Key.
    Oh how I adored those books!

ReputationRep:
    the crushing, irrevocable decline and destruction of macondo in One Hundred Years of Solitude. perhaps not tear-worthy, but, pretty sad, nonetheless.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2008
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.