Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I second the We Need To Talk About Kevin comments. When...

Spoiler:
    Show
    Cecelia dies, that got me

Countless times in Harry Potter, pretty much whenever people died. Did anyone ever read The Velveteen Rabbit as a child?

Ooh, and the end of The Grapes of Wrath. Many more, I get very emotionally involved in books!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howells)
    Oh how I adored those books!
    They truly were literary genius.

ReputationRep:
    Grapes of Wrath, Steinback just generally sad. And then the end of Amber spyglass when Will and Lyra are separated but I don't think I've ever cried due to a book!:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bysshe)
    Exactly - it's the way he's "doomed" that makes it so awful. I'm prepared to loathe the new film. I don't object to Ben Whishaw (although no one could ever match Anthony Andrews), but from what I've read, it sounds like they've completely messed it up. The trailer was infuriating.
    I hadn't seen the trailer and just watched it on youtube. Oh my God, it looks awful! I don't even know where to begin....
    Why the hell is Julia in Venice?

I cried at various parts of LotR, Aslan's sacrafice in LWW (and some other moments in the Narnia books), when Beth died, end of The Amber Spyglass. They've all been said, I can't think of anymore right now but there must be some.

Just remembered another...Matthew Cuthbert at the end on Anne of Green Gables.

ReputationRep:
    Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman, where The guy dies, and there's a birth announcement. Nearly killed me, that did.

Also near the end of HP 7 wherewhere Harry realises he has to die.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Maybe Of Mice and Men?
    Makes my old GCSE teacher cry all the time

ReputationRep:
    I'm shocked nobody has mentioned 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'.

The book made me sob like a baby. On a sun lounger in Tenerife. Yes, I looked like a mad woman.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ginger_Rogers)
    I'm shocked nobody has mentioned 'One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest'.

The book made me sob like a baby. On a sun lounger in Tenerife. Yes, I looked like a mad woman.

What a great book. Just saw the film the other day - wow.

ReputationRep:
    Not exactly adult but when i was in my early teens read "the shadow children" by Margerat Haddix. the ending: jen dies and luke gets sent away from his family never to return made me cry for days

ReputationRep:
    Many of mine have already been mentioned but there are moments. Sons and Lovers, anyone? A few deaths therein were very sad. I'll also be the second to add Madame Bovary...

ReputationRep:
    'The Happy Prince' made me cry a lot when I was little. Haven't read it since

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catoutofthebag)
    What a great book. Just saw the film the other day - wow.

I've never actually seen the film. I've got it on DVD, but I don't want to watch it in case it doesn't live up to the book. It's good then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upturnedpalms)
    I second the We Need To Talk About Kevin comments. When...

Spoiler:
    Show
    Cecelia dies, that got me

Countless times in Harry Potter, pretty much whenever people died. Did anyone ever read The Velveteen Rabbit as a child?

Ooh, and the end of The Grapes of Wrath. Many more, I get very emotionally involved in books!
    OMG The Velveteen Rabbit! I'd forgotten how much i loved that book. *spoiler*When he became a real rabbit at the end*spoiler*. Awwwwwww.
    Not that i really expect anyone to read it now but anyway.
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    Someone else mentioned this but the scene in The Amber Spyglass where Lyra goes to the land of the dead and leaves Pan behind. I cried for hours!
    I'm surprised not more people have mentioned this bit, Everyone said the end and yeah it was sad and i did cry but i found this bit far more upsetting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inconceivable)
    I hadn't seen the trailer and just watched it on youtube. Oh my God, it looks awful! I don't even know where to begin....
    Why the hell is Julia in Venice?

I cried at various parts of LotR, Aslan's sacrafice in LWW (and some other moments in the Narnia books), when Beth died, end of The Amber Spyglass. They've all been said, I can't think of anymore right now but there must be some.

Just remembered another...Matthew Cuthbert at the end on Anne of Green Gables.
    Oh, I know, it's dreadful. What I find even more disturbing, though, is the way that it makes it look like Lady Marchmain wanted Julia to marry Rex.

Also, Sebastian's line:

"You don't care about me, all you ever wanted was my sister."

What?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bysshe)
    Oh, I know, it's dreadful. What I find even more disturbing, though, is the way that it makes it look like Lady Marchmain wanted Julia to marry Rex.

Also, Sebastian's line:

"You don't care about me, all you ever wanted was my sister."

What?
    Urgh I know. That line is just....bizarre.

The whole thing just makes me mad. Why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SpiritedAway)
    oh, i know how you feel. i cried after Willy died in the play Death of a Salesman in front of my lit class, which was quite embarrassing
    I played Linda in Death of A Salesman and me + the other 3 main characters spontaneously started crying about 15 minutes from the end in the final performance. We just couldn't stop!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurenFah)
    Marley & Me.

I won't say what happened, but those who read it know exactly what I mean
    I finished that a few days ago, and was bawling my eyes out! My bf was like get a grip, it's a book! Can't wait for the film.

PS I love you made me cry too, although the film was a bit of a disappointment, didn't stop me blubbing all the way through though!

ReputationRep:
    Z for Zachariah. It's really sad towards the end when the man trusts her with his radiation-free suite. Although the quarrel between the man and the girl is very tense and I really sensed death towards the end.

Of Mice and Men. Sad to see George kill Lennie at the end, but it is really heart-touching when we understand why he did that.

To Kill a Mockingbird. Very good novel, understandable and we can learn a lot from it about how prejudice is evil. The saddest moment is when Tom Robinson's trial fails even by Atticus's clear, coherent and authoritative argument. Although the most heart-touching moment is towards the end where Arthur (Boo) Radley reveals his compassion for the kids when he kills Mr Ewell. We get to see it from Scout where she has remorse at the end as she walks Boo back to his house.

ReputationRep:
    All Quiet on the Western Front - he's been through such a lot, and then...

Whoever said Matthew from Anne of Green Gables - I love those books, and it's so sad

(Plus Hedwig, Dobby and Fred from Harry Potter :P )

ReputationRep:
    the end of the time travellers wife, i was hysterical

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2008
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.