Turn on thread page Beta

contains spoilers-Saddest moments in literature watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Harry Potter - when harry has to blow hedwig up (even though she's dead)
    and when harry dies (but comes back)
    Amber Spyglass - when lyra leaves pan behind - i had tears in my eyes

ReputationRep:
    Xbbngvdgdbn

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by croissantfever)
    On the beach by Nevil Shute

The entire book is just very sad, in that their all living their lives normally, planning for a future that doesn't exist. And at the end when Dwight sinks his sub.

All too sad for words
    I cried for the whole of the last chapters of this book! i couldnt stop.

I've cried in almost all the ones already mentioned, ie. Harry Potter, LOTR, Narnia books, Amber Spyglass etc.

I just finished PS I Love You the other day which had me bawling!

I agree with any one who's said 1984 - that is one of the saddest endings i've read.

I thought Gone with the Wind was sad - and also, not surprisingly, cried all the way through that! i'm a bit of a blubber! :bawling:

erm, there are probably hundreds more, can't remember much more!

ReputationRep:
    I think the end of Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close by Jonathan Safran Foer. The boy's dad died during 9/11. I've copied this from Wiki because it explains it well and if I described it I'd probably start crying again :lolz: :

The last fifteen pages of Foer's text comprise a flip-book collection of images of a man falling upwards toward the top of the World Trade Center. The protagonist, Oskar Schell, identifies the falling man as possibly being his father who died on September 11th. At the end of the book, Oskar imagines his father's last actions before he may have jumped from the North Tower back to the night before September 11th when he tucked Oskar into bed. On page 325, Foer writes in the words of Oskar, now a ten-year-old boy, "...I found the pictures of the falling body. I ripped the pages out of the book. I reversed the order, so the last one was first, and the first was last. When I flipped through them, it looked like the man was floating up through the sky." Jonathan Foer was not the first to describe the falling man as "floating"; however, he was the first to show the image in such a manner. The falling man is his last photograph and, although controversial, connects a fictional story to a true event.

ReputationRep:
    Anybody else thinking the main event(s) in Mister Pip?

ReputationRep:
    i bawled (in borders!) in new moon by stephenie meyer when edward leaves bella in the woods.
    noughts and crosses made be cry too, the end was just so sad.

ReputationRep:
    I cried when Prince Andrew Bolkonsky died in War and Peace. I adored him.

ReputationRep:
    In 'The Book Thief', where Ruddy dies. I don't know why in particular him, I think I just fell in love with the character.

ReputationRep:
    I think I'm a sadist somehow, I burst out laughing when Hedwig died... I think because it was described in a rather animated 'cartoony' way. Like a South Park episode.

The only book I cried at was at the last line of 1984... seriously depressing. Oh, but Of Mice and Men, Grapes of Wrath and Harry Potter were close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiss_fairy)
    A Thousand Spledid Suns had me in tears several times.

Was actually the best book i've ever read and i'd highly recommend it to everyone
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MorbidCow)
    I think I'm a sadist somehow, I burst out laughing when Hedwig died... I think because it was described in a rather animated 'cartoony' way. Like a South Park episode.

The only book I cried at was at the last line of 1984... seriously depressing. Oh, but Of Mice and Men, Grapes of Wrath and Harry Potter were close.
    Lol when Winston says, "I love Big Brother". Didn't find it sad at all, was actually quite happy it ended there. That book is depressing, but it does have a good point though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyjane_09)
    In 'The Book Thief', where Ruddy dies. I don't know why in particular him, I think I just fell in love with the character.
    OMG yeah! It was so heartbreaking when Liesel kissed him for the first time when he wanted her to do it before...

ReputationRep:
    The one that springs to mind is the end of All Quiet on The Western Front, oh my god I cried as if my mum had died or something. A brilliant ending though.
    When Will and Lyra/Pan and Lyra part in The Amber Spyglass. And when Roger dies. D;
    The sacrifice of Aslan.
    The end of the Pursuit of Love! It was so sudden and shocking, damn you Nancy Mitford!
    When the Puma dies in the Wind on the Moon.
    The whole of Black Beauty.
    When the Disreputable Dog dies in the last of the Sabriel series.
    When they find Ding in The Way I Live Now.
    Dobby!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imomo16)
    The one that springs to mind is the end of All Quiet on The Western Front, oh my god I cried as if my mum had died or something. A brilliant ending though.
    When Will and Lyra/Pan and Lyra part in The Amber Spyglass. And when Roger dies. D;
    The sacrifice of Aslan.
    The end of the Pursuit of Love! It was so sudden and shocking, damn you Nancy Mitford!
    When the Puma dies in the Wind on the Moon.
    The whole of Black Beauty.
    When the Disreputable Dog dies in the last of the Sabriel series.
    When they find Ding in The Way I Live Now.
    Dobby!
    I'd completely forgotten about Ding and the Disreputable Dog! I was soo sad when she died!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    Maybe Of Mice and Men?
    This

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by diamonddust)
    OMG yeah! It was so heartbreaking when Liesel kissed him for the first time when he wanted her to do it before...
    That was so sad - I shed a few tears, I will admit

ReputationRep:
    man and boy by tony parsons

ReputationRep:
    A Farewell to Arms; just that image of him walking in the rain after his wife & baby die....

And non-fiction i.e Anne Frank's diary just because you know what happened after her last entry....

ReputationRep:
    Cried all the way through the end of "The Kite Runner."

ReputationRep:
    The last few paragraphs of The Great Gatsby were quite sad.
    The part in Death of a Salesman when you know what Willy is going to do and there is no way of stopping him.
    The last page of Lord of the Flies when they all realise what they have become.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 22, 2008
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.