The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

it all depends on how he feels..tell him you really like him..if hes ok with it, i guess he will carry on

DW...it shoudnt matter, the age gap, not that big, so i guess its kinda ok.
Reply 41
4Ed
the 'socially acceptable' age gap is approximately half the older person's age, subtract 7.

so for a 22 year old guy it would be 4 years - so the youngest he can respectably go out with is an 18 year old... however i would say that your age gap is about that anyway and obviously it varies from person to person so from a social perspective it's not that big a deal. as others have mentioned its more important what he thinks anyway.

i'd love to know who came up with that 'rule'.
4Ed
the 'socially acceptable' age gap is approximately half the older person's age, subtract 7.

Isn't it plus seven? Because by your working, a twenty year old would be perfectly entitled to date a three year old.
Hi guys! I've got a question for u..
how would u feel about dating a older girl?

Would it be a problem 4 u/your mates?

I'm 23 he's 20

What do u think?
Reply 45
Lampshade
Imho that's not right. That guy must of had issues of some kind to consider dating somebody that young. Would be social suicide amongst his peers had he been normal.

Mine was 38 when I was 17.
Reply 46
age gaps are okay, tooth gaps are bad.
Reply 47
dani2511
Some of my friends are with older guys (18 year old girls with 27, 32 and 42 year old men)

Wow, that's different! And admirable :biggrin:
Reply 48
pumpkin7
i'd love to know who came up with that 'rule'.

Wasn't it Sex And The City? Just the kind of **** tv programs come up with. Bleurgh.
Reply 49
If a couple likes each other, age has no role.
Reply 50
dani2511
Some of my friends are with older guys (18 year old girls with 27, 32 and 42 year old men),......... so I really don't see a problem......

why are they dating such old men? its obvious in most cases why the old guy would pick up a girl half his age. but whats in it for the girls? i mean in some of those cases the guy is twice their age or more. im 22 and i think it owuld be weird dating someone still in school! what did their parents say?
I honestly don't care about age-gaps, you can't help who you fall in love with or so they say! The question you have to ask is does he make you happy? If he does, then age shouldn't matter.
Obviously if the guy was 22 and you were 14, then, eugh, wrong. On so many levels.
But you're 17, your giving consent. The age gap consists of 5 years. 5 years is nothing tbh.

If you find the age gap a big problem, then it will dig at you, probably causing problems in your relationship. And it shouldn't.
If you are not happy with it, then move on, but you say you've fallen for him so i wouldn't class the 5 years age difference a problem.
Reply 52
vale_farfallina
Hi guys! I've got a question for u..
how would u feel about dating a older girl?

Would it be a problem 4 u/your mates?

I'm 23 he's 20

What do u think?

Hey!
I'm 20, and my boyfriend is 17.. And it's not a problem at all.. I think his mates think it's quite cool. Mine (+ my family) were a bit shocked at first, but now they've met him there's no problem...
Reply 53
DamnitJanet
Isn't it plus seven? Because by your working, a twenty year old would be perfectly entitled to date a three year old.

the 'plus 7' gives the youngest age you can date; the 'minus 7' gives the age gap on either side of your age which you can stretch to.
Reply 54
there is no stinking rule! you like who you like, and that is that.
Reply 55
I was 16 when I first started going out with my 22 year old guy. So IMO there's no problemo there,why dont you ask him out for a drink or a day out and find out whether he's interested?
Reply 56
Don't worry i'm kind of in the same situation, i am 18 turning 19 in less than a month and i'm really attracted to this 26 yr old man and we are thinking about getting together that ruins my 3 month plan to be single. lol.

It should be fun, he is really nice, wise and has money cause he works and he really wants to talk to me rather than just sex.

Latest

Trending

Trending