The Student Room Group

Knock Off Nigel!!! whats up with this??

This may be a pointless rant, but I am really annoyed that there are people out there making an active effort to make people who download movies illegally fell bad. Yeah downloading a movie illegally is bad but then so is parking on a double yellow line for 10 minutes!

What happened to those adverts that shamed smokers? They ran some while ago but they are so infrequent!! They should really drop all this Nigel nonsense and replace it with my new character called "Smelly George." It may sound harsh but I would love it if the media put a serious effort to shame smokers, portray the smoker and an inconsiderate person smoking at a bus stop or something making elderly/asthmatics have difficulty breathing, then show the smoker not being able to afford a bus ticket then getting surrounded by people singing shaming the smoker.

No offence to smokers or anything but I think smokers deserve to be mocked on TV much more than people who download movies.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
what about sex offender sam?
Reply 2
I think the difference is that smoking is an addiction so it would be harsh to shame them. where as downloading movies for free and selling them isn't.
Reply 3
What I find ironic is that they put that "You wouldn't steal a car" trailer on DVDs that people buy perfectly legally but on downloads or illegal copies they probably just get stripped out so easily.

Also the knock-off Nigel means nothing to me. Great - one man in a pub or office is getting victimised and bullied by all his peers but there's not really a message.
Reply 4
Im confused as to the point of this thread.

So you dont like smokers or film watchers?
Reply 5
Presumably you download?

Most people who commit some form of illegal act attempt to justify it by saying it is less bad than other acts.

Personally, I hate the knock-off Nigel thing. I don't download or buy pirate copies, but if I were tempted to the prospect of having that ****ing annoying song in my head would be enough to put me off.
Reply 6
dh00001

:mad: That's the worst idea I've ever heard.

:redface:
I love that bit when the guy plays the flute!

Anyway, yeah I think it's ridiculous. I can't imagine anyone actually thinking it's something to be ashamed of.
Reply 8
Sam o0o
:mad: That's the worst idea I've ever heard.

:redface:

:rofl:
alright steve then
Reply 9
Gamer99
What I find ironic is that they put that "You wouldn't steal a car" trailer on DVDs that people buy perfectly legally but on downloads or illegal copies they probably just get stripped out so easily.

Also the knock-off Nigel means nothing to me. Great - one man in a pub or office is getting victimised and bullied by all his peers but there's not really a message.

It's also a massive presumption. What if the person viewing it would happily steal a car?
bobx2001
This may be a pointless rant, but I am really annoyed that there are people out there making an active effort to make people who download movies illegally fell bad. Yeah downloading a movie illegally is bad but then so is parking on a double yellow line for 10 minutes!

What happened to those adverts that shamed smokers? They ran some while ago but they are so infrequent!! They should really drop all this Nigel nonsense and replace it with my new character called "Smelly George." It may sound harsh but I would love it if the media put a serious effort to shame smokers, portray the smoker and an inconsiderate person smoking at a bus stop or something making elderly/asthmatics have difficulty breathing, then show the smoker not being able to afford a bus ticket then getting surrounded by people singing shaming the smoker.

No offence to smokers or anything but I think smokers deserve to be mocked on TV much more than people who download movies.

That's a disgusting set of prejudices you have there. Smoking is legal and a perfectly acceptable hobby, and has no correlation to inconsiderateness or lack of money. You only don't see considerate smokers because they're considerate and don't smoke around you.
Reply 11
From the way i see it, Knock Off Nigel is the most intelligent of the group. While they pay 20£ for a DVD he gets it for free. When he downloads 1000 songs he saves nearly 1000£. He has all the new movies his mates want. He has all the new songs his mates want. He is stuck at a bad job but has more money than the rest of them. This means when he goes out he can treat the ladies with a little more cash, while the other guys stay at home and watch something they picked up from the bargin bin at HMV alone cause they dont have any money to do anything better.
Get in there Nigel!

I think they should do something where they punish "Sticky Steve". He has no mates cause he cant be arsed to wear deo. He sees a hot girl on the tube, but when he lifts up his arm there is a sweat patch and a smell. Show him alone in the end, on his sofa, cause he couldnt be arsed to make an attempt to shower. That is a bigger problem in the world.
Reply 12
dh00001

Yeah Add him to the list too. What do you think of "ASBO Andrew" ?
Those adverts are a shambles. They're supposed to make you feel guilty (when virtually everyone does it) so how you personally going to get mocked by your peers if they're doing it too??
Honestly, smokers have already been demonised.

The people who try and prevent illegal downloading are doing their darndest, but it's still acceptable enough within society.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=MTbX1aMajow

EDIT:
Oooohhh, it's already been put up. *Shame.*
Reply 16
Knock off Nigel knows all about economies of scale. Obviously.

Also Knock-off Nigel downloads films - that's not necessary a problem either as iTunes makes films available online and I'm sure that's perfectly legal.
dh00001

:rofl:

Paedo Pete :top:
-because paedophiles aren't getting nearly enough bad press...

My brother is called Pete...
:ninja:
I hate the ad, purely because they've (quite cleverly, I suppose) managed to make it a very catchy tune, and I've been humming it all bloody day since it was on earlier. Grr.
Those adverts are so effective. When I saw the one with the guy in the office, I stopped what I was doing, cancelled all my torrents and wiped my hard-drive of illegal music, purely through fear of getting mocked by a piccolo playing moustachioed stranger.

Latest

Trending

Trending