Bullying/harassment at university - advice needed Watch

Bluelights999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi Guys

Just seeking some advice really on this one.

Ive been having some trouble with abuse following a break up with a course mate earlier on in 2019. Since returning to university to begin the next academic year, people on my course have been turned against me, rumours and false accusations have been made and spread about me and I have had several abusive messages sent to me from the people involved and I have been subjected to verbal abuse as well on social events and in lectures. Throughout the whole ordeal I have not done anything to provoke the situation and I have not retaliated as I have thought it better to go down the “professional channels”. I know the people responsible and know that there is more than one person involved.

I have spoken with the university and it was agreed that if there was any further trouble, action would be taken against the people involved. I have flagged the absuive messages up with the university again and have made my personal tutor aware of the situation and as yet no action has been taken against the bullies and dare I say, no action will be taken.

I have been to the police about the individuals involved with the evidence I have (proof of the messages, and recordings their verbal abuse which i have sent on to the uni) and they aren’t keen on moving things forward and I feel bad as it’s a step that I didn’t want to take initially.

I’ll be completely honest in saying that the abuse has got me down and has made me feel like an already tough course has got even tougher having to go through the stress of meetings with the university and the constant battle against the individuals and the university.

Has anyone got any advice on this? Has anyone been in this position before and if so how did you overcome it?

I’d really appreciate any advice.
Rock Fan
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bluelights999)
Hi Guys

Ive been having some trouble with abuse following a break up with a course mate earlier on in 2019. Since returning to university to begin the next academic year, people on my course have been turned against me, rumours and false accusations have been made and spread about me and I have had several abusive messages sent to me from the people involved and I have been subjected to verbal abuse as well on social events and in lectures. Throughout the whole ordeal I have not done anything to provoke the situation and I have not retaliated as I have thought it better to go down the “professional channels”. I know the people responsible and know that there is more than one person involved.

I have spoken with the university and it was agreed that if there was any further trouble, action would be taken against the people involved. I have flagged the absuive messages up with the university again and have made my personal tutor aware of the situation and as yet no action has been taken against the bullies and dare I say, no action will be taken.

I have been to the police about the individuals involved with the evidence I have (proof of the messages, and recordings their verbal abuse which i have sent on to the uni) and they aren’t keen on moving things forward and I feel bad as it’s a step that I didn’t want to take initially.

I’ll be completely honest in saying that the abuse has got me down and has made me feel like an already tough course has got even tougher having to go through the stress of meetings with the university and the constant battle against the individuals and the university.

Has anyone got any advice on this? Has anyone been in this position before and if so how did you overcome it?

How awful that you are going through that. It's a disgrace that people at the university are treating you like this. Keep all the evidence and if you continue to get trouble, keep reporting it.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Bluelights999)
Hi Guys

Hey,
Well done for reaching out for help. I think you have done a lot in this situation and their actions and behaviours are absolutely unacceptable, especially at university. Like someone else on this forum has suggested, I think keep collecting evidence and keep pushing. If there's anyone higher up in your university you can contact please do. If you have a students union at your university (they are like the trade union but for like students literally having your interests at heart) so please do contact them especially as your university isn't being as receptive to your desire for help. This is nothing anyone really deserves and I do understand what its like to be ganged up on and rumors to spread around. That's their problem, not yours
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I hope whoever is doing this to you goes prison
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (88)
13.08%
1 (89)
13.22%
2 (85)
12.63%
19.17%
22.14%
19.76%

Watched Threads