Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m feeling really lonely at uni :/ I’m friends with a fair amount of people, but not close with any of them, and they all have people they’re closer to. I’m in 3 societies, all of which I love, but again I’m friends with them at the society but nothing more. It sort of hit home once I went back home for Christmas cuz obviously everyone was asking how uni was and now I just feel pretty rubbish. I don’t really know what I’m asking for here, just needed to vent
clueIxss
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I’m feeling really lonely at uni :/ I’m friends with a fair amount of people, but not close with any of them, and they all have people they’re closer to. I’m in 3 societies, all of which I love, but again I’m friends with them at the society but nothing more. It sort of hit home once I went back home for Christmas cuz obviously everyone was asking how uni was and now I just feel pretty rubbish. I don’t really know what I’m asking for here, just needed to vent
Trust me, I know exactly how that feels- I’m sorry Uni has been lonely so far for you. Are you looking for any kind of advice?
EggyWeggyIII
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Almost everyone experiences this. You've got more than most people however, you've got friends. Most people are foreign students who don't have any. If you're looking for a long-term relationship and especially if you are in a city - then why not find someone on a dating app?

It's always awkward and just be in the comfort that you've got friends and everyone goes through this. Imagine being a foreign student who is 10000 miles away from home!

You've done the right thing by joining societies - so good on you. Most people aren't brave enough to do that.

Enjoy university and good luck.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks, I totally get that I could be more alone. I think it’s more that I see and speak with people when I’m actually at uni, but I then just go back to my flat and have no one. I’m probably being over dramatic, but it’s been bugging me for a few months now

And no, I’m not looking for a relationship, just a proper friend

(Again sorry if I’m just being a drama queen, ik there will be others struggling a lot more than me)
EggyWeggyIII
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Thanks, I totally get that I could be more alone. I think it’s more that I see and speak with people when I’m actually at uni, but I then just go back to my flat and have no one. I’m probably being over dramatic, but it’s been bugging me for a few months now

And no, I’m not looking for a relationship, just a proper friend

(Again sorry if I’m just being a drama queen, ik there will be others struggling a lot more than me)
Completely understandable. As I said, most people if not everyone go through this. If you're looking for a proper friend, your best chance is to improve the relationship you have with your acquaintances or people within your socieites you have joined - since you'll probably have a common interest with them. Maybe ask them out for a pint to drink? A movie? A theatre performance? Anything. Lunch maybe at your favourite resturaunt?

They're probably in the same boat as you and I'm sure would be happy to become friends with you.

Goodluck.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
Me too. I wish i had advice to give you, but sadly im in the same boat. My mental health has taken a toll, because i feel excluded from my 'friends' like they dont really like me, just tolerate me because i share a flat with most of them. They didnt invite me to live with them next year and i felt too shy and depressed to straight up ask. So that sucks! But its only been a few months, so i hope ill make more friends now. So sad to come back for christmas, see tons and tons of home friends, and then go back to being lonely at uni
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (88)
13.08%
1 (89)
13.22%
2 (85)
12.63%
19.17%
22.14%
19.76%

Watched Threads