Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences applicants/offer holders, 2020 Watch

James_Oliver
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, the other day I received an unconditional offer to read Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences at Birmingham from September 2020. I thought I would start a new discussion to see if there are any other LANS offer holders/applicants out there! If there are:

What is your name?

What are your predicted (or obtained) A-Level grades?

What A-Levels did you take?

What other universities have you applied to?

What subject(s) are you interested in majoring in?

I'll start!

I'm James.

I completed my A-Levels last summer and I obtained A*A*AB.

German, English Literature, Religious Studies, EPQ.

Exeter, Bristol, KCL, Royal Holloway (all Liberal Arts courses).

I won't major in anything in first year but I definitely want to try out modules in English Literature, Archaeology, History of Art and Biosciences!
whatkatiedid_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hi

My name is Katie

I am predicted AAA

I am resitting AQA English literature and Edexcel Politics, as well as taking AQA Sociology (never done it before, started in September so am doing it as an a-level in a year). Am not resitting History due to the stress it and my old teachers caused me (and the one of the topics that my old school chose was really difficult and quite dull, in my opinion) so I am keeping my grade from last summer (D)

I have only applied for one liberal arts course (Birmingham) and have also applied to Manchester and Nottingham (English and American studies), Birmingham for English and Exeter for English with study in North America (1st and 3rd year in Exeter, 2nd year in America).

I absolutely love the Birmingham liberal arts course as well as the university itself and will likely put that down as my firm provided I get an offer.

I’ve received offers from Manchester, Nottingham and Exeter so far so am just waiting for Birmingham to get back to me.

If you couldn’t tell already, I’m a massive English nerd so am hoping to major in English literature although I’m also interested in creative writing, politics, sociology, history and drama.
James_Oliver
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by whatkatiedid_)
Hi

My name is Katie

I am predicted AAA

I am resitting AQA English literature and Edexcel Politics, as well as taking AQA Sociology (never done it before, started in September so am doing it as an a-level in a year). Am not resitting History due to the stress it and my old teachers caused me (and the one of the topics that my old school chose was really difficult and quite dull, in my opinion) so I am keeping my grade from last summer (D)

I have only applied for one liberal arts course (Birmingham) and have also applied to Manchester and Nottingham (English and American studies), Birmingham for English and Exeter for English with study in North America (1st and 3rd year in Exeter, 2nd year in America).

I absolutely love the Birmingham liberal arts course as well as the university itself and will likely put that down as my firm provided I get an offer.

I’ve received offers from Manchester, Nottingham and Exeter so far so am just waiting for Birmingham to get back to me.

If you couldn’t tell already, I’m a massive English nerd so am hoping to major in English literature although I’m also interested in creative writing, politics, sociology, history and drama.
That's awesome! I wish you all the best for your resits If you do receive an offer from Birmingham, will you be attending any of the offer-holder days coming up?
whatkatiedid_
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by James_Oliver)
That's awesome! I wish you all the best for your resits If you do receive an offer from Birmingham, will you be attending any of the offer-holder days coming up?
Thank you and definitely I will! Providing I get offers from both courses (fingers crossed I do!) It’ll be a difficult decision between straight English Lit or Liberal Arts (with English as my major) so I think the offer holder days will be useful in helping me decide.
Anonymous #1
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I'm Cara. I've already done my A Levels and I got AAA in Biology, Chemistry and French. I've applied to Liberal Arts at Birmingham, Warwick and King's, English and Modern Languages and Cultures at Sheffield and South Asian Studies at SOAS. Bit of a mixed bag! I don't think I'd pick a major in first year; I'm interested in modules in English, Languages, Sociology and biomedical sciences and I'd like to see where those take me.

How long did you all wait to hear back from Birmingham about the admissions essay after you sent off your personal statement? Warwick emailed me to notify me that they'd received the application and again a few days later about the second personal statement they ask for, but I haven't heard anything from Birmingham.
Keren02
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
Hi, I'm Keren
I'm predicted A* A B and I'm taking Philosophy, Psychology and Business at A level
I'm thinking of doing the 3rd option (the book/text etc) on the bible as I was raised very strictly Christian and have since become an atheist
aah
James_Oliver
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Hi, I'm Cara. I've already done my A Levels and I got AAA in Biology, Chemistry and French. I've applied to Liberal Arts at Birmingham, Warwick and King's, English and Modern Languages and Cultures at Sheffield and South Asian Studies at SOAS. Bit of a mixed bag! I don't think I'd pick a major in first year; I'm interested in modules in English, Languages, Sociology and biomedical sciences and I'd like to see where those take me.

How long did you all wait to hear back from Birmingham about the admissions essay after you sent off your personal statement? Warwick emailed me to notify me that they'd received the application and again a few days later about the second personal statement they ask for, but I haven't heard anything from Birmingham.
Hey Cara. Congratulations on your excellent A-Level results! The order of my application process was a bit strange: I contacted the dean of Liberal Arts at Birmingham back in November before applying to tell her about my circumstances (I had started studying at Oxford in early October but I dropped out because I was unhappy with the course/mental health issues). She said that because I already have my A-Level grades, I could submit my admissions essay before my UCAS application (bit weird I know!). So I did that, and I got an unconditional offer about three weeks after I submitted my UCAS application (submitted it early December, heard back earlier this month).
James_Oliver
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by Keren02)
Hi, I'm Keren
I'm predicted A* A B and I'm taking Philosophy, Psychology and Business at A level
I'm thinking of doing the 3rd option (the book/text etc) on the bible as I was raised very strictly Christian and have since become an atheist
aah
Hey Keren. Best of luck for your A-Level exams! And that's really interesting (I was also raised a devout Christian but have since become an atheist haha).
lauren104
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by James_Oliver)
Hey, the other day I received an unconditional offer to read Liberal Arts and Natural Sciences at Birmingham from September 2020. I thought I would start a new discussion to see if there are any other LANS offer holders/applicants out there! If there are:

What is your name?

What are your predicted (or obtained) A-Level grades?

What A-Levels did you take?

What other universities have you applied to?

What subject(s) are you interested in majoring in?

I'll start!

I'm James.

I completed my A-Levels last summer and I obtained A*A*AB.

German, English Literature, Religious Studies, EPQ.

Exeter, Bristol, KCL, Royal Holloway (all Liberal Arts courses).

I won't major in anything in first year but I definitely want to try out modules in English Literature, Archaeology, History of Art and Biosciences!
Hey I’m Lauren

Got AAA in English Lit, Maths and Chemistry and B in EPQ and have applied post A-level for September 2020

I’ve applied to Nottingham, Birmingham, Royal Holloway, Durham and Queens Belfast and have received unconditional offers from Nottingham and Royal Holloway but am waiting to hear from the others.

I’m not 100% sure what I’d like to major in but I would like to study modules in English Lit, psychology, Spanish, maybe philosophy, drama and possible maths
Amethyst12
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Hey, I'm Taylor!

I got 3 A*s in English Lit, English Lang and Media Studies.

I've applied to Birmingham, Exeter, Nottingham, KCL and Bristol (I've had unconditional offers from all except Birmingham - sent my admissions essay a couple of days ago and now waiting for a decision!)

I don't think I'll pick a major in my first year, but I'm interested in studying Creative Writing, Marketing, American Studies, Film and maybe Psychology. I'd also like to do Spanish if I have any credits left!
millieaustin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I’m Millie! I’m predicted A*A*A doing philosophy, history and drama, I’ve got offers from York, Warwick, Southampton and Exeter, I’m waiting on Durham, which is where I wanna go so kinda annoying to still be waiting as I applied in November :/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you get study leave?

Yes- I like it (56)
58.33%
Yes- I don't like it (3)
3.13%
No- I want it (30)
31.25%
No- I don't want it (7)
7.29%

Watched Threads