Xriok
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Should I do Chemistry A Level.
I do combined science and got 7-6 in the mocks. For the individual tests I got 6 in Chemistry, 6 in Physics, and 7 in Biology (1 mark of an 8 ).
I’m predicted 7-7. I know due to combined I will have a disadvantage but I’m willing to learn the extra content for chemistry and biology in summer.
My school requires you to take 4 A Levels, I’m already going to take Biology, Economics, and Maths. Originally I was going to do Geography with these, but I’ve been considering doing Chemistry instead? I know it’s a challenging A Level, but I don’t find Geography that interesting and the Sixth Form doesn’t really have very good past grades for Geography A Level and I need to get an A (at minimum a B). I find Chemistry more interesting than Geography but it’s definitely not my favourite subject. Does Chemistry get more interesting at A Level? And do you enjoy it, or regret taking it?
Thanks
aw03
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
you will not have a disadvantage at all. i did. combined science (got 8-8) and i’m in year 13 and i’m not disadvantaged because i didn’t take triple science at GCSE. but this is for OCR A i’m not sure about other exam boards.

i genuinely really enjoy chemistry and i think organic chemistry is really interesting. physical chemistry is a lot of maths but since you’re taking it at A Level, most of it should be a breeze. i don’t regret taking it and i’m glad i picked it because it’s definitely not boring. the practicals get really interesting as well especially those for organic chemistry. it can be quite challenging but once you understand it, revising it is actually fun.

i think the main thing is taking A Levels that you enjoy and that link well to your chosen degree choice if you know what you want to do. and since you enjoy Chemistry, you should be good!
Xriok
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by aw03)
you will not have a disadvantage at all. i did. combined science (got 8-8) and i’m in year 13 and i’m not disadvantaged because i didn’t take triple science at GCSE. but this is for OCR A i’m not sure about other exam boards.

i genuinely really enjoy chemistry and i think organic chemistry is really interesting. physical chemistry is a lot of maths but since you’re taking it at A Level, most of it should be a breeze. i don’t regret taking it and i’m glad i picked it because it’s definitely not boring. the practicals get really interesting as well especially those for organic chemistry. it can be quite challenging but once you understand it, revising it is actually fun.

i think the main thing is taking A Levels that you enjoy and that link well to your chosen degree choice if you know what you want to do. and since you enjoy Chemistry, you should be good!
Thank you How much harder is the second year (A) than the first year (AS)?
Crumblexcrackers
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Honestly, chemistry is super hard. If you struggled at it at GCSE, you’re bound to struggle at A level. You can always switch in the first few weeks if it isn’t your climate. It’s crucial that you choose something you enjoy and will do good at at A Level! Best of luck
aw03
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Xriok)
it gets quite a bit harder i’m not going to lie. in AS we did modules 2, 3, and 4 and in year 13 we’re doing modules 5 and 6. module 5 is module 3 in depth and module 6 is module 4 in depth. if you try hard and understand the concepts and foundations then you will do well. A2 is always way harder than AS
username5064508
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Xriok)
Year 13 here. I did biology, maths, and chemistry. In my experience, as long as you have a solid understanding of maths (which you seem to given you're doing it as an A level) then year 2 chemistry doesn't increase in difficulty too much, in comparison to biology where the workload increases significantly. In year 2 chemistry the physical is more maths based, and organic is a breeze if you're a biologist since half of A2 organic is the very first thing you learn in AS biology (AQA). The hardest thing I think you'll come across in A2 Chemistry is Transition Metals, which most of my cohort struggle with. It's all different for different people though, I just thought my experience may shed some light.
Deggs_14
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You should be looking to improve to a Grade 8 for a level. In year 12 there are lots of new ideas introduced like electronegativity, electron orbitals, nomenclature, reaction mechanisms of nucleophilic substitution and basic elimination etc and the principles of these require a sound understanding of knowledge from GCSE. Lots of people call chemistry one of the hardest a levels, I really enjoy it and that makes me willing to work hard at it. I did triple science GCSE and achieved 9 in chemistry, 9 in biology and 8 in physics. I wouldn’t say you’ll be disadvantaged especially as you’re willing to start looking at the a level content over the summer. Work hard at GCSE chemistry now
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Honestly from what I have experienced, I have found that all you need to know for the beginning of alevel chemistry is ionic compounds and bonding. That’s it. Everything else from gcse will be revisited and taught far far better, especially with the Education I received in high school. I’m in gear 12 and all you really really need to do is try hard and do hard work and be persistent. I also did triple and it gave me no advantage whatsoever. I should of done combined. It would’ve saved me from multiple nightmares stress and tears. Good luck!!
username5147954
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
One word don’t unless you want to be a doctor or something I got a 9 in chemistry 9 in biology and 8 in physics last year and I did chemistry for a month in year 12 and I found it so hard. I do A level geography and it’s amazing, so interesting and I actually like it if I was you I’d do that but you could be okay with chemistry I got a 9 in maths and find it really hard but it could just be me because my friend got a 6 and she walks through could be the same with me for chemistry and you could be fine. You’ll always have a transition period a few weeks in to switch if you want
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (288)
55.81%
I don't have everything I need (228)
44.19%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise