HELP!!! Maths GCSE advice/tips NEEDED

Watch
H. Bhatti...
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 months ago
So, I am not very good at maths. Throughout school, I have always been put in higher sets for maths and was put on the list to do the higher paper. Mocks came along and I got a grade 4 (tbf I did not revise one bit) so they set me to do foundation. Did the foundation maths paper and still got a level 4. I have no idea how to approach maths revision or how to bump may grade up, as I am doing foundation the highest I can get is a 5 now.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
www.mathsbot.com has many gcse resources.
iam.potassiumoK
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
the advice that my teacher gave to my class was TO ALWAYS DISPLAY THE WORKING OUT
even if you feel unsure about the question or feel like you can't do it, try your best and STILL attempt it as you can probably get 1 or 2 marks

people always tend to revise the hard stuff in math but then forget about the easy stuff that could come in. So make sure you go over even the easiest of stuff.

for the foundation paper you will need to get a lot of things correct to get a 5

DON'T FORGET TO REVISE THE EASY STUFF YE
AND YOU CAN DO IT FAM
I HAVE FAITH IN YOU

ALSO it's all about the MINDSET. don't open the paper and feel like u cant do it. YOU CAN
START REVISION
WATCH HEGARTY MATH VIDEOS - those helped me
and ask ur teacher for any extra additional help....

Wish you luck
H. Bhatti...
Rep:
?
(Original post by iam.potassiumoK)
the advice that my teacher gave to my class was TO ALWAYS DISPLAY THE WORKING OUT
even if you feel unsure about the question or feel like you can't do it, try your best and STILL attempt it as you can probably get 1 or 2 marks

people always tend to revise the hard stuff in math but then forget about the easy stuff that could come in. So make sure you go over even the easiest of stuff.

for the foundation paper you will need to get a lot of things correct to get a 5

DON'T FORGET TO REVISE THE EASY STUFF YE
AND YOU CAN DO IT FAM
I HAVE FAITH IN YOU

ALSO it's all about the MINDSET. don't open the paper and feel like u cant do it. YOU CAN
START REVISION
WATCH HEGARTY MATH VIDEOS - those helped me
and ask ur teacher for any extra additional help....

Wish you luck
Thank you so much!!!! And omg Hegarty Maths is like the one only resource our maths department gives us! Everything ever is about Mr Hegarty and his maths loll
iam.potassiumoK
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by H. Bhatti...)
Thank you so much!!!! And omg Hegarty Maths is like the one only resource our maths department gives us! Everything ever is about Mr Hegarty and his maths loll
ikr , he is pretty cool!!!!!!
laurawatt
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Mr Barton maths and Corbett maths are both very good websites!
username5116682
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
I would go through a checklist and make sure that you know all the the formulas needed like the triangle ones and the trig values which most people forgot about. You can watch videos on how to do any topic, like I used hegarty maths. Mainly don’t just rely on what you learn in school because that’s really never enough and half the lesson no one properly focuses. Do loadsss of practice maths papers just to get used to it and try just go through them, then start timing yourself and being a bit harsh when you mark it or ask your teachers. And finally which doesn’t apply to you maybe but actually know what your calculator can do because most didn’t know that it could check quite a lot but no one ever learnt it e.g what the letters mean or what’s on the mode section, so just watch a video on it. Hope this kinda helps xx
Medikj
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
So, I am not very good at maths. Throughout school, I have always been put in higher sets for maths and was put on the list to do the higher paper. Mocks came along and I got a grade 4 (tbf I did not revise one bit) so they set me to do foundation. Did the foundation maths paper and still got a level 4. I have no idea how to approach maths revision or how to bump may grade up, as I am doing foundation the highest I can get is a 5 now.
Khan Academy is the best resource, in my opinion, (https://www.khanacademy.org) just look up your grade on the ‘Maths by Grade’ section or browse the website and see what you can find you need.
He really does explain concepts very clearly. Moreover, it allows you to complete exercises regarding each subtopic, as well as summative quizzes about each topic as a whole.

You may want to follow GCSE Syllabus and try to solve exercises form past papers, but Khan Academy will surely provide the theoretical notions regarding each topic you need to be aware of
H. Bhatti...
Rep:
?
(Original post by JustsomeEmmahelp)
I would go through a checklist and make sure that you know all the the formulas needed like the triangle ones and the trig values which most people forgot about. You can watch videos on how to do any topic, like I used hegarty maths. Mainly don’t just rely on what you learn in school because that’s really never enough and half the lesson no one properly focuses. Do loadsss of practice maths papers just to get used to it and try just go through them, then start timing yourself and being a bit harsh when you mark it or ask your teachers. And finally which doesn’t apply to you maybe but actually know what your calculator can do because most didn’t know that it could check quite a lot but no one ever learnt it e.g what the letters mean or what’s on the mode section, so just watch a video on it. Hope this kinda helps xx
Helps so much! Thank you! xx
iam.potassiumoK
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
(Original post by Medikj)
Khan Academy is the best resource, in my opinion, (https://www.khanacademy.org) just look up your grade on the ‘Maths by Grade’ section or browse the website and see what you can find you need.
He really does explain concepts very clearly. Moreover, it allows you to complete exercises regarding each subtopic, as well as summative quizzes about each topic as a whole.

You may want to follow GCSE Syllabus and try to solve exercises form past papers, but Khan Academy will surely provide the theoretical notions regarding each topic you need to be aware of
past papers are the BEST when doing math revision!!!
wild_card_2005
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 months ago
Hey! I think U need smth unique for U. Try Math Science by Daniel Dallas on youtube. It is quite dope for foundation up to higher. So explanations of all topics and Revision. I used to ask him to create video that fits my needs and he did it several times. This was designed for GCSE progrm.spec. So try, it might work for you, bro
H. Bhatti...
Rep:
?
(Original post by wild_card_2005)
Hey! I think U need smth unique for U. Try Math Science by Daniel Dallas on youtube. It is quite dope for foundation up to higher. So explanations of all topics and Revision. I used to ask him to create video that fits my needs and he did it several times. This was designed for GCSE progrm.spec. So try, it might work for you, bro
I'll take a look, thank you! xx
Visual_Learner
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
I found this GCSE maths revision app useful! https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/gcse-m...es/id941652484
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

With no certainty that exams next year wil take place, how does this make you feel?

More motivated (31)
25.62%
Less motivated (90)
74.38%

Watched Threads