Abdo.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey guys, I need some thoughts about living independently, I applied to a serval uni that located far away from where I live (Manchester) which btw I live with my parents. So like I wanna know if I stay with my parents while studying will I be missing out on stuff? I have never lived alone, but it's always in my head, so if anyone who's living independently can share his/her thought it will be great. Cus as u know u can save up a lot of money and time by just staying with your parents and it makes your life much easier, but on the other hand, I don't wanna look back and regret this decision. So I am confused, I can't decide at all and if I discuss this with my parents they will convince me to stay.

Any thoughts?
Bluelights999
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Tricky dilemma. I lived in halls for the first year of my course and had a right laugh. I was in lectures 4/5 days a week and it made sense to live in halls otherwise I would have been spending a lot of money on air bnb’s (my parents live a 5 hour drive from uni). I went on a few nights out and met some people who I am friends with now. Second year because we had significantly less lectures I lived both in the student house I was renting and at home. It did save a lot of money living at home, I didn’t feel like I was missing out on anything though.

If your university is a good one, they often hold welcome events for new students throughout the year which are easily accessible for anyone living on or nearby to campus which you can get involved in.

If you are a first year student I’d recommend living in student halls, it’s an experience more than anything and you can make a good amount of friends living there although it can be expensive at first. For second year once you move out into private accommodation you can save a lot of money. For us, it was much cheaper to live outside of campus.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Abdo.)
Hey guys, I need some thoughts about living independently, I applied to a serval uni that located far away from where I live (Manchester) which btw I live with my parents. So like I wanna know if I stay with my parents while studying will I be missing out on stuff? I have never lived alone, but it's always in my head, so if anyone who's living independently can share his/her thought it will be great. Cus as u know u can save up a lot of money and time by just staying with your parents and it makes your life much easier, but on the other hand, I don't wanna look back and regret this decision. So I am confused, I can't decide at all and if I discuss this with my parents they will convince me to stay.

Any thoughts?
Hi Abdo :hello:

I would say that your decision should depend on what you want to get out of your university experience. Lots of students decide to live away from home because they want to make new friends and learn to live independently.

However, if you do choose to live at home I would not say that you will be 'missing out'. Many universities have events for students who do not live on campus. There would still be lots of opportunities for you to have great social experiences at university, by making friends with other students or by joining societies. Many universities also have social spaces which you can still utilise.

I hope this is useful. If you have any more questions let me know.

Good luck with your applications!

Melissa :five:
Abdo.
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hi Abdo :hello:

I would say that your decision should depend on what you want to get out of your university experience. Lots of students decide to live away from home because they want to make new friends and learn to live independently.

However, if you do choose to live at home I would not say that you will be 'missing out'. Many universities have events for students who do not live on campus. There would still be lots of opportunities for you to have great social experiences at university, by making friends with other students or by joining societies. Many universities also have social spaces which you can still utilise.

I hope this is useful. If you have any more questions let me know.

Good luck with your applications!

Melissa :five:
thanks a lot, this was helpful.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Abdo.)
thanks a lot, this was helpful.
You are very welcome!

If you have any other questions feel free to message us

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (83)
13.7%
1 (82)
13.53%
2 (79)
13.04%
19.8%
21.29%
18.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise