Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If you ovderhauled your whole image, which isn't hard to do, then you'll be fine, if you look confident you'll feel confident.

(Original post by jaydoh)
    If you ovderhauled your whole image, which isn't hard to do, then you'll be fine, if you look confident you'll feel confident.
    Exactly what I'm attempting to do, it's just that people tend to say "Be yourself" at every waking moment.

ReputationRep:
    Invite people for shower parties.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly what I'm attempting to do, it's just that people tend to say "Be yourself" at every waking moment.
    Realise that by making the changes you want, you ARE being yourself. If what you want is to look a certain way, then DO IT. That's "being true to yourself", not just forcing yourself to be content with the way you are if deep down you aren't 100% satisfied. It's THAT kind of attitude that causes you to have low self esteem - it's like you're being told by yourself and others than you have to put up with what you're given, that you don't deserve to make positive changes in your life. You need to adjust your mindset, prove to yourself that you DO deserve to be positive and happy about your appearance. And by making the effort to change how you look, you are EARNING it. You're using what you were given naturally - your brain and self determination - to improve upon your genetics.

A big part of having self confidence is thinking about how you'd like to look and making it happen regardless of others opinions. I'm not talking about wanting to look like someone else, or to be a foot taller or something, but realistic, healthy things that you have the power to change, and that you want to change for the right reasons, to make YOU happier with your appearance, not to please others or to conform to a social niche. If YOU think you look good in glasses, then keep them, don't get rid of them because you think others think less of you for it. But if you think you look more attractive without them, then get contacts like you said. Do things to please yourself. If you want to try growing long hair like a metalhead because it'll make you happy, do it. If you don't care that you're skinny, stay like it. But if you'd rather portray a more muscluar appearance, then research what you need to do to gain muscle mass and do it, and wear certain clothes that complement your body type to give you the impression of being "bigger".

The most important thing in my opinion is to be pleased with yourself, continue to look for the positives in your appearance like you already have, and instead of feeling regretful that you're not something you'd like to be, try and achieve it. It doesn't matter how much progress you make, just making the effort makes a huge difference to your self esteem. Allow yourself to be cocky about how you look, and it will make a big difference to your mindset. Having a positive outlook, even if the changes you make are unnoticeable to the outside, will have a far greater impact than anything you could do cosmetically.

ReputationRep:
    i dont this has anything to do with your hair being wet or you having slept.
    i think its because you had no glasses on.

i look hideous when i look in the mirror through glasses, when i first got contacts i was shocked that i actually look ok. my eyes didnt look as round and small, my skin looked lighter, my nose looked more in proportion, my eyes looked bluer.

so good luck with contacts, you really do see yourself differently then glasses

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.