so anxious to go back to uni tomorrow Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
i'm a first year and my parents are driving me back to uni tomorrow and i have no idea when i'll next be coming home, probably not till april. i'm feeling very anxious as i've got myself into a routine which i like since i've been back home and have been able to work at my old job over christmas and see my old friends which has been so nice. I'm kinda dreading going back to uni as i hate change and i know i won't be able to keep up my routine when i go back. I live in halls and I'm not looking forward to going back to my tiny cramped bedroom and my flatmates who although i get along with i do feel quite awkward around.

anyone else experienced the same? i feel like everyone else is so excited to get back to uni and see everyone again yet i've been so anxious this week counting down the days till i go back
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i'm a first year and my parents are driving me back to uni tomorrow and i have no idea when i'll next be coming home, probably not till april. i'm feeling very anxious as i've got myself into a routine which i like since i've been back home and have been able to work at my old job over christmas and see my old friends which has been so nice. I'm kinda dreading going back to uni as i hate change and i know i won't be able to keep up my routine when i go back. I live in halls and I'm not looking forward to going back to my tiny cramped bedroom and my flatmates who although i get along with i do feel quite awkward around.

anyone else experienced the same? i feel like everyone else is so excited to get back to uni and see everyone again yet i've been so anxious this week counting down the days till i go back
Up until 3rd year, I dreaded going back to uni every term I went back - you’re definitely not alone!

The key for me was to make a routine at uni just like you’ve been able to do at home over Christmas. Planning in social events with friends, going to society or sports meetings, working out when to do uni work, even planning when to get your food shopping all helped me structure my week and have more manageable chunks of time.

You’ve made it through term one, so you can definitely make it through another! But also don’t be afraid to reach out to your personal tutor or welfare/support services if you’re really anxious - you won’t be the first one to feel this way and they can hopefully point you in the direction of other coping mechanisms or support services that your uni offer
ginasil17
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
I’m feeling the exact same way! I’m not going back until next week but the thought of it is filling me with dread. I’ve only finished one term so hopefully the next term will be better. I’m rather quiet and introverted, and I generally don’t approach people first (I think I may have social anxiety tbh) so I didn’t really make a lot of friends. I didn’t even go to any of the freshers events except the freshers fair, and even that took a lot of courage to plunge myself into a sea of people (wasn’t fun). My course is also very much male dominated and there was 1 girl who became my only close friends, but she didn’t enjoy the course and transferred😕so now there are only 2 girls on the course including me, and I hope I can become close with the other girl just to have someone to study and hang out with.
Also my room is tiny and it can get very suffocating, so I just usually go for an evening walk because staying in there too long can drive you mad 😖
Anonymous #2
Report 5 days ago
God yes! Thats why im on tsr at 1.42am. I go back tomorrow morning, im so anxious and dreading it. I never had anxiety before but ive developed it at uni. I dont have any close close friends at uni, just flatmates who are only friends cos we live together, and i would so much rather stay at home with my family and be happy. If i still feel so anxious and lonely by easter i might drop out
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Hi :hello:

Very sorry to hear that you're feeling this way. There have been some great replies above, especially regarding looking into societies and social opportunities. Putting yourself out there and giving yourself things to look forward to may help ease your worries.

I would recommend speaking with your universities student support and/or academic advisor. Most universities offer fantastic support services that are not utilized.

If you have any other questions let me know and Ill do my best to help.

I hope this helps,

Melissa
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (89)
13.15%
1 (89)
13.15%
2 (86)
12.7%
19.05%
22.16%
19.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise