tmmk9461
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Im doing AQA GCSE Religious Studies ( Christanity + Islam + Thematics) and was wondering what is the best way to revise this subject?

I am stuck between using flashcards or mindmaps.

I feel that both are equally effective for me in terms of revision, but am just unsure which one to use.

Which one would you suggest/ reccomend based on personal experience?

Thanks.
TimotheeLaurie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Personally, I take notes and write questions on my flash cards then test myself then practice some questions
tmmk9461
Rep:
?
(Original post by TimotheeLaurie)
Personally, I take notes and write questions on my flash cards then test myself then practice some questions
That actually sounds really good, I'll try that next time and see how it turns out. Thanks!
TimotheeLaurie
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also what is your eng lit exam board?
tmmk9461
Rep:
?
(Original post by TimotheeLaurie)
Also what is your eng lit exam board?
Cambridge IGCSE
princetonalec
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
In the past the religious studies GCSE was largely based on personal opinion and understanding different view points (or at least mine was) so I found the best way to revise was to understand the why instead of just trying to commit it to memory.
For example: I can't remember the 5 pillars of Islam (and i'm currently doing an RS undergraduate), but I can remember attitudes towards abortion within Islam in relationship to the different schools of philosophy, because some Muslims believe the soul does not enter the fetus until 28 days have passed (if my memory serves me correctly) so abortion upon conception can be accepted by some persons.
Taking the steps to understand the arguments and understand how they interact with philosophical thoughts helped me, but if I'm not mistaken I think AQA has become more concerned with religious history in recent years over religious philosophy, so if you're having to remember who nailed Jesus to the cross and when Muhammad went on his night journey then flash cards might be your best bet.
Wishing you the best!
ShadowHokage
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by tmmk9461)
Im doing AQA GCSE Religious Studies ( Christanity + Islam + Thematics) and was wondering what is the best way to revise this subject?

I am stuck between using flashcards or mindmaps.

I feel that both are equally effective for me in terms of revision, but am just unsure which one to use.

Which one would you suggest/ reccomend based on personal experience?

Thanks.
Hello there, our school has just done a whole mock paper. I managed to get 199/204 and honestly the key thing I would advise you do is to learn the structure for each question that's all. Also, learn to write fast. Majority of the time, many pupils don't answer the question and that is because they are too lazy. SO learn the structure for questions and practice writing for a long period of time. That's all I did, I have no mindmaps or any sort of flashcards LOL.
tmmk9461
Rep:
?
(Original post by princetonalec)
In the past the religious studies GCSE was largely based on personal opinion and understanding different view points (or at least mine was) so I found the best way to revise was to understand the why instead of just trying to commit it to memory.
For example: I can't remember the 5 pillars of Islam (and i'm currently doing an RS undergraduate), but I can remember attitudes towards abortion within Islam in relationship to the different schools of philosophy, because some Muslims believe the soul does not enter the fetus until 28 days have passed (if my memory serves me correctly) so abortion upon conception can be accepted by some persons.
Taking the steps to understand the arguments and understand how they interact with philosophical thoughts helped me, but if I'm not mistaken I think AQA has become more concerned with religious history in recent years over religious philosophy, so if you're having to remember who nailed Jesus to the cross and when Muhammad went on his night journey then flash cards might be your best bet.
Wishing you the best!
I think what you said is right for the Thematic Studies / Philosophy that we do (eg. euthnasia and abortion etc.). Im going to try your approach for that, by trying to propely understand it and the attitudes towards it.
For the Beliefs and Teachings of Christianity and Islam it is mainly religious history, and learning what happend in the times of Jesus etc. ,so for that I might do flash cards.

Thanks for your advice, it has really helped me as I was stuck as to what I should do.
tmmk9461
Rep:
?
(Original post by FahadMuh247)
Hello there, our school has just done a whole mock paper. I managed to get 199/204 and honestly the key thing I would advise you do is to learn the structure for each question that's all. Also, learn to write fast. Majority of the time, many pupils don't answer the question and that is because they are too lazy. SO learn the structure for questions and practice writing for a long period of time. That's all I did, I have no mindmaps or any sort of flashcards LOL.
I think that learning the structure and time managment are also vitally important, but I find that I forgot things that I learned at the start of the year, and if I don't know any of the content especially for stuff like Christianity, then I would be stuck on what to write in the 12 marks etc.
tmmk9461
Rep:
?
(Original post by tmmk9461)
I think that learning the structure and time managment are also vitally important, but I find that I forgot things that I learned at the start of the year, and if I don't know any of the content especially for stuff like Christianity, then I would be stuck on what to write in the 12 marks etc.
Thanks for the advice though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (14)
6.6%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (34)
16.04%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (35)
16.51%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (31)
14.62%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (57)
26.89%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (41)
19.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed