The Student Room Group

Anyone taken part in medical research?

Hiya!

I've taken part in a few medical research projects - premature baby study, psychiatric illness study and something else I can't remember. I've had a few MRI scans whilst doing simple tasks and I've done a weird test where I spoke a word into a computer mic and I heard it back immediately in my headphones either my own voice, or my own voice distorted or a different voice entirely. Then I had to say who's voice it was. Interesting stuff!

Anyone else done anything similar? what was it for, what did you have to do?
Reply 1
I ahvent done but i'd love to.. theres an advert for it in my local cinema sometimes but i never got the chance to take the number down.
t0mmie
I ahvent done but i'd love to.. theres an advert for it in my local cinema sometimes but i never got the chance to take the number down.

It's interesting stuff! :biggrin:

Specially when after an MRI scan you get to keep a picture of your brain lol

Plus, you get paid :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You should do it if you get the time :biggrin:
Reply 3
I'm unofficially testing what happens when you only drink Coca-cola, orange juice, and Stella for a month... But I have to provide the beverages myself, regrettably.
Reply 4
Gettin paid is always good... any ideas for where I can get more info? For example how to sign up? Lol
t0mmie
Gettin paid is always good... any ideas for where I can get more info? For example how to sign up? Lol

LOL... Umm, I'm not too sure how you go about it... google I spose! There are sometimes adverts going out on the radio and stuff asking for participants....

Either that, or just call up your local hospital and ask to speak to the person in charge of research... bull by the horns and all that lol
Reply 6
red665
LOL... Umm, I'm not too sure how you go about it... google I spose! There are sometimes adverts going out on the radio and stuff asking for participants....

Either that, or just call up your local hospital and ask to speak to the person in charge of research... bull by the horns and all that lol

I think i'll just go to the cinema more and wait for that advert again...knowing my luck they'll wanna test the effects of being kicked in the balls on me or sommat.
t0mmie
I think i'll just go to the cinema more and wait for that advert again...knowing my luck they'll wanna test the effects of being kicked in the balls on me or sommat.

LMAO!

Aaaw, I hope not! lol

I was asked to take part in a study where they'd have to inject some dye stuff into my veins and give me some weird tablets whilst they took some of my blood and then stuff me into an MRI scan.... sounded a bit tooo sadistic for my liking so said no to that one! :eek: :redface:
Reply 8
red665
LMAO!

Aaaw, I hope not! lol

I was asked to take part in a study where they'd have to inject some dye stuff into my veins and give me some weird tablets whilst they took some of my blood and then stuff me into an MRI scan.... sounded a bit tooo sadistic for my liking so said no to that one! :eek: :redface:

Kool.. I saw something like that on tv, it was quite interesting, it was like to track the bloodflow to the brain when they were presented with different stimulants or something random like that.
Reply 9
I was going to take part in a sleep-study... because I sleep 3-4 hours in 24 Monday - Friday and about 15-16 hours in 24 Saturday and Sunday... just out of habit. Basically because I never go to sleep before 3am no matter what time I have to get up, which during school was 6 or 7 on weekdays and 6 or 7... in the evening... on Saturdays and Sundays. It just kinda stuck.

Didn't get to do it though - I dropped out of University before it started. I would have had to wear a sleep monitor. They weren't even gonna pay me.

I'd happily do random drug testing for enough cash. Why not?
t0mmie
Kool.. I saw something like that on tv, it was quite interesting, it was like to track the bloodflow to the brain when they were presented with different stimulants or something random like that.

Yeah I think that was it - but just the thought of random drugs being injected into me made me freak a bit lol
Reply 11
red665
Yeah I think that was it - but just the thought of random drugs being injected into me made me freak a bit lol

Yeah can imagine it would... i think it'd be quite kool though *shrug*... some things I wouldnt let them do though.
Reply 12
Because they could kill you? or make you sterile or ill or mad or something?

I have a very crazy sleeping pattern right now. I slept through Sunday, and got up at 10:30pm. and I'll be at lectures at 9 tomorrow...
i had to take part in a twin research thing..

as im a twin! lol

They sat us in seperate rooms and asked the most random questions to measure how long we took to answer, how we answered etc..

Theh thwy pricked us on our toe to see if the other had any reaction at all..

it was intersting and i got a £5 wh smith gift voucher..lol

_Cr
Dr_Death
I have a very crazy sleeping pattern right now. I slept through Sunday, and got up at 10:30pm. and I'll be at lectures at 9 tomorrow...

During any form of holiday from uni I always end up practically doing a night shift with regards to my sleeping pattern.

Best thing to curb it is to either make yourself get up at 6 or 7am everyday for 2 weeks no matter what time you go to sleep and then stay awake until about 10 or 11.

Or, go out and do something really energetic, like swimming or something - you'll find you're knackered enough to get to sleep early-ish.
Crunchie
i had to take part in a twin research thing..

as im a twin! lol

They sat us in seperate rooms and asked the most random questions to measure how long we took to answer, how we answered etc..

Theh thwy pricked us on our toe to see if the other had any reaction at all..

it was intersting and i got a £5 wh smith gift voucher..lol

_Cr

wow - that's cool! did you have any freakish twin reactions to the toe thing? lol
I've done loads of psychology experiments for cash, at university. They've mainly been memory ones, but I've also done a few problem solving ones too. The hardest one was probably when as part of an experiment I had to look at words coming on and off a screen, while saying random numbers between 1 and 20 (one per second). Then I had to write down as many of the words as I could remember. It doesn't sound hard but it was sooooooo difficult to keep giving out completely random numbers, without accidently slipping into a pattern (needless to say I remembered hardly any words)!

The weirdest one would be when I was wired up to a machine which sent some kind of magnetic wave through my brain every time I saw a group of 3 letters flash onto a screen. Each time the wave would be a different strength, to interrupt my memory. It was the most peculiar sensation, like a silent 'thud' in the brain, and my lip and neck (I think) would always twitch as well. At the strongest strength, I'd see the letters for a split second, then the wave would pass through, and all memory of the letters would vanish just like that - very strange! At least I got £5 . . . . :smile:
Also, I keep hoping a twin/triplet study will come up (like Crunchie described), because being a triplet I think it would so fascinating, but no luck yet! :frown:
Reply 18
I took part in a Psychology experiment which involved hitting buttons with my feet depending on the different stimuli. It wasn't too exciting but it was an easy £5 in my pocket and I found the process of being in a real-life experiment interesting after doing Psychology A-level :smile:
There are signs up in one of the university departments offering a few thousand quid to have your big toe cut off and put back on using some new surgical method. Bit crasy if you ask me! There are also some trials where you are infected with malaria and again get paid large amounts of money.

Latest

Trending

Trending