The Student Room Group

I need help to stop eating meat.

So basically I am planning on becoming pescatarian, and I was wondering how exactly most people go about doing this. Does fish give enough protein by itself, or will I need to find new products to supplement my diet? I will still eat eggs and dairy, but I was wondering if there is anything from meat that I can’t get from other foods?

I already eat tons of fruit and vegetables anyway so I won’t find it all too difficult, but I am not sure what to say to people who make meals specifically with meat in them as I don’t want to be burdensome.

I’m probably overreacting, as I would assume pescatarianism is probably one of the simplest dietary changes.
You should go on Pinterest they have lots of things on food but um . Nuts and seeds are a very good source of protein.
Reply 2
Fish are alive too you know. How people can claim to not eat meat yet eat fish 🤔
Original post by SMEGGGY
Fish are alive too you know. How people can claim to not eat meat yet eat fish 🤔

Maybe they want to be healthy. Since red meat is bad for the health.
(edited 4 years ago)
You'll probably be okay between fish, eggs, and dairy. But besides those, peanut butter, tofu, various soy-based products, beans, and lentils are all great sources of protein.

Re: Other people cooking meat - it depends on the context and how strict you want to be. Some people are vegetarian on their own time but will eat whatever's put in front of them to be sociable. Personally I don't - if I'm going to a family gathering I'll bring something that I can eat with me, and offer to share it with others.
Original post by learner38
Maybe they want to be healthy. Since red meat is bad for the health.

mercury?
Original post by Gent2324
mercury?

Oh yeh I forgot about that but idk it’s was just an idea because I am not her.
Original post by SMEGGGY

The meat I was referring to is red meat. Fish are alive, but I don't think of mammals, birds, reptiles and amphibians in the same way I think of fish. Sure there are vegans who don't eat any animal products, however, I am doing this for health reasons rather than ethical reasons.

In many languages the words for flesh produced from agriculture is different to that produced in aquaculture. For example, the Spanish word for fish is "pez" and the word for fish meat is "pescado". However the word for meat produced from land animals is "carne". The word "meat" in English has replaced "flesh" as a synonym for all types of meat.
try and eat reinforced cereals (this can give b12 mainly found in red meat) and if people do plan on having you around for dinner, politely explain before hand you would rather not eat meat, but would eat fish. suggest and alternative- so I will eat the same food, just without the meat in. or as someone above said offer to bring your own food
I’m pescatarian ! I get my protein mostly from beans soya etc, you can get it from beans and lentils though, bean sprouts, tofu, soya milk, whole grains, seeds, nuts, hummous n all that- but a lot of the time protein needs are met by a balanced varied diet, it’s in a lot of things, but the above it’s most concentrated!
Yep... protein is the issue. The body can synthesise it but needs time to learn.
vitamin b12 supplements or vit b12 fortified milks and cereals.

Quick Reply

Latest