The Student Room Group

Year 11 struggling thread

Hi, yeh um idk how to do these things properly or if it’s even going to get any attention but...I wanted to do a thread with people who are struggling or doing good in certain subjects I want to give advice and receive some. Also a thread on life with year 11’s since personal problems is important aswell. Thanks:smile:

Edit: Ok so if this does get noticed. I am in year 11 obviously, I’m from London and I want to study psychology and business I want to have a career as a human resource manager and have my own business. I am struggling a bit tho. My mock reveals are on 13/1 (Monday) so I’m kind of stressed. In year 10 for maths I got 4, both English 6 and 5, science 4-4, computer science 3 :frown:, French 2 yikess and already done my RE GCSE I got a 4

I am hoping to get a 6 in everything I’ve given up on computer science and French I just want to get a 4 in that but yehhh
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
this didn’t age well
hello there
Reply 3
Original post by GuruOfMaths
hello there

Hello any advice it would be very appreciated
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi :smile: I’m not in year 11, I’m in year 12, but I stressed my way through the whole GCSE thing last year and did well so if anyone wants some advice about revision or specific subjects then I’d be happy to help 😊 I did drama, history, Spanish and music last year and now I’m doing biology, chemistry, maths and English lit for A level. Good luck with your mocks!
Moved to GCSEs :h: hopefully more people should see it there :tongue:
Reply 6
Original post by Glaz
Moved to GCSEs :h: hopefully more people should see it there :tongue:

Yayyyy I hope sooo
Reply 7
Original post by Elena :)
Hi :smile: I’m not in year 11, I’m in year 12, but I stressed my way through the whole GCSE thing last year and did well so if anyone wants some advice about revision or specific subjects then I’d be happy to help 😊 I did drama, history, Spanish and music last year and now I’m doing biology, chemistry, maths and English lit for A level. Good luck with your mocks!

O wow thank youuuu and I would love some advice.
Reply 8
Original post by learner38
O wow thank youuuu and I would love some advice.

Ok so as you can see my grades are um... yeh so I would love advice on everything and if it’s ok can I have advice on the whole sixth form/ college process because I get you have to apply and go to open days but I don’t get what grades I have to tell them
(edited 4 years ago)
Ok so as you can see my grades are um... yeh so I would love advice on everything and if it’s ok can I have advice on the whole sixth form/ college process because I get you have to apply and go to open days but I don’t get what grades I have to tell them

In terms of improving your grades, I would go to any revision/ support sessions that your school does as I did lots of those last year and they really helped :smile: also, try and do lots of exam practise if you can, especially for things like maths - when I was revising for maths I did one past paper a week - you should be able to print them off the internet, then mark it yourself and ask your teacher if you get stuck on any questions. Also, I used the app forest to help me structure my revision - it’s 2 pounds, but it was so good at keeping me motivated at not looking at my phone when I was trying to revise 😂 there’s also flashcard apps for biology and chemistry which are quite good. When I did Spanish the thing that helped me the most was doing lots of writing questions and then getting my teacher to mark them, as this really improved my marks in both writing and speaking :smile:
About sixth forms, they usually tell you on the open days what the application process is like, but for me I had to give my predicted grades and my mock grades. Most sixth forms also have an interview as well, and if you apply to an oversubscribed or competitive one you might also have to do a test :frown:
Which ones are you thinking of applying to?
In terms of improving your grades, I would go to any revision/ support sessions that your school does as I did lots of those last year and they really helped :smile: also, try and do lots of exam practise if you can, especially for things like maths - when I was revising for maths I did one past paper a week - you should be able to print them off the internet, then mark it yourself and ask your teacher if you get stuck on any questions. Also, I used the app forest to help me structure my revision - it’s 2 pounds, but it was so good at keeping me motivated at not looking at my phone when I was trying to revise 😂 there’s also flashcard apps for biology and chemistry which are quite good. When I did Spanish the thing that helped me the most was doing lots of writing questions and then getting my teacher to mark them, as this really improved my marks in both writing and speaking :smile:
About sixth forms, they usually tell you on the open days what the application process is like, but for me I had to give my predicted grades and my mock grades. Most sixth forms also have an interview as well, and if you apply to an oversubscribed or competitive one you might also have to do a test :frown:
Which ones are you thinking of applying to?

Thank you soo much this helped me and I’m thinking of applying to:
Newham sixth form college
Hammersmith and Fulham
City & islington college
Haringey sixth form college
Westminister Kingsway college
Thank you soo much this helped me and I’m thinking of applying to:
Newham sixth form college
Hammersmith and Fulham
City & islington college
Haringey sixth form college
Westminister Kingsway college

Aww that’s ok 😊 I applied to greycoats, LAE and Harris Westminster, and I go to harris Westminster now. Good luck with applying and GCSEs! :smile:
Aww that’s ok 😊 I applied to greycoats, LAE and Harris Westminster, and I go to harris Westminster now. Good luck with applying and GCSEs! :smile:

Thank you again goodluck with a levelsss :smile:

Hi! (weird but my names elena too lol) I've applied to Harris WS too, do you have any tips on how to prepare? Ive chosen bio and literature for the entrance exam :smile:

also would you say that getting into harris WS is difficult ?
Hi, yeh um idk how to do these things properly or if it’s even going to get any attention but...I wanted to do a thread with people who are struggling or doing good in certain subjects I want to give advice and receive some. Also a thread on life with year 11’s since personal problems is important aswell. Thanks:smile:

Edit: Ok so if this does get noticed. I am in year 11 obviously, I’m from London and I want to study psychology and business I want to have a career as a human resource manager and have my own business. I am struggling a bit tho. My mock reveals are on 13/1 (Monday) so I’m kind of stressed. In year 10 for maths I got 4, both English 6 and 5, science 4-4, computer science 3 :frown:, French 2 yikess and already done my RE GCSE I got a 4

I am hoping to get a 6 in everything I’ve given up on computer science and French I just want to get a 4 in that but yehhh

Hi! You should find a revision method that really works for you and stick to it, for me I buy those chunky flash cards from wilko that are binded together with a metal ring and i write myself questions for every single thing, like What is the purpose of bile, etc. Maybe you could try this ? :smile: I find its really helpful because I can revise anywhere the cards arent that big and you can test yourself ( I'm in year 11 as well)
Original post by e_s_leo77
Hi! You should find a revision method that really works for you and stick to it, for me I buy those chunky flash cards from wilko that are binded together with a metal ring and i write myself questions for every single thing, like What is the purpose of bile, etc. Maybe you could try this ? :smile: I find its really helpful because I can revise anywhere the cards arent that big and you can test yourself ( I'm in year 11 as well)

Ok thank youuuu :smile: I’ll try that
GCSE's are easier than they seem . Trust me , just relax and revise throughout the year ; I suggest reading examiner reports , they help you distinguish from 2/3 answers and 3/3 answers.
Good luck!

Also you can definitely get at least a 6 in everything, start doing revision a little everyday, before school and after school with set times and don't ever change the times then you won't have to think about it for the rest of the day and rest :smile:
Original post by e_s_leo77
Also you can definitely get at least a 6 in everything, start doing revision a little everyday, before school and after school with set times and don't ever change the times then you won't have to think about it for the rest of the day and rest :smile:

Thank you, you actually motivated me to revise now.

Quick Reply

Latest