Dentistry/Dental Hygiene and therapy MMI role-playing advice Watch

Ruva M
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi, I am preparing for some interviews for Dental Hygiene and Therapy. Most universities are using the MMI system to assess candidates and one of the activities in the stations is Role-playing. I am trying to prepare myself best for this, so I'm wondering if anybody has examples of some role-play scenarios I can use to practice and also any tips for what the interviewer is looking for?
ITS2019
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'm preparing for dentistry MMI's so similar principles are used. The interviewers are usually looking for you to demonstrate good communication and problem-solving skills. My advice is to approach the situations with an open mind and try not to be judgemental. I like to start by asking questions and gathering more information then I can make decisions about the situation. One example could be: You are a first-year student at university and you are at a party. You see your friend in a quiet room, He seems to be upset and is not socializing. How would you approach this scenario?
So in this scenario, I would ask him if he was feeling alright, etc, I would be receptive to his situation. The actor (the friend) may become more visibly upset and reveal he has family problems at home etc. You would listen to his concerns and try to get him to open up to you. If he says he doesn't want to trouble you etc, you could say "you would do the same for me." You could suggest counseling or actions he could take to improve his situation, all this while being empathetic. It would help to imagine urself in his shoes. The actor may be difficult and may make you feel uncomfortable at first but it usually gets better, you just have to persist. By the end of this scenario, you should have reached a resolution and the actor will be happier. Hope this helps.
Last edited by ITS2019; 2 weeks ago
Ruva M
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by ITS2019)
I'm preparing for dentistry MMI's so similar principles are used. The interviewers are usually looking for you to demonstrate good communication and problem-solving skills. My advice is to approach the situations with an open mind and try not to be judgemental. I like to start by asking questions and gathering more information then I can make decisions about the situation. One example could be: You are a first-year student at university and you are at a party. You see your friend in a quiet room, He seems to be upset and is not socializing. How would you approach this scenario?
So in this scenario, I would ask him if he was feeling alright, etc, I would be receptive to his situation. The actor (the friend) may become more visibly upset and reveal he has family problems at home etc. You would listen to his concerns and try to get him to open up to you. If he says he doesn't want to trouble you etc, you could say "you would do the same for me." You could suggest counseling or actions he could take to improve his situation, all this while being empathetic. It would help to imagine urself in his shoes. The actor may be difficult and may make you feel uncomfortable at first but it usually gets better, you just have to persist. By the end of this scenario, you should have reached a resolution and the actor will be happier. Hope this helps.
Thanks very much for the advice! By any chance do you have any resources like websites/ videos etc. that I could look at to get some more practice questions?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - Guildford campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • Nottingham Trent University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 29 Jan '20
  • University of Groningen
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 31 Jan '20

What's stopping you doing a masters?

It's too expensive (57)
24.46%
My career doesn't need one (30)
12.88%