The Student Room Group

Is it normal to be affraid of telling your parents you are in a relationship?

Now, I'm not in a relationship at the moment and I have not been in a proper relationship yet but I feel one reason that puts me off is the thought of having to tell my parents when I'm in a relationship. I've always struggled talking about my feelings and when they ask me if I have a crush even if i don't have a crush I feel really stressed out and don't want to be there. I don't know why I feel like this, even when coming out, I didn't tel them but I was planning to and it felt too soon when they found out and i felt kinda bad about it because I could not talk about it. My parents aren't the strictest but my Dad has become way flexible, I'm still scared to ask him about meeting with friends but he does allow me to do more now that I'm 16. Is this normal? I feel like it isn't but maybe it is
At your age it is normal to be embarrassed about sharing these things with your parents.
Reply 2
Thank you
I think it’s okay to be a bit nervous, but you shouldn’t be scared unless your parents taught you to react that way. I’m 21, through my teen years my mum was so strict about boys, they were taboo - I was allowed to have guy friends but boyfriends were a NO. So if I liked a boy I was terrified of my mum finding out. I met my current boyfriend when I was 20 and it surprised me how okay she is with it, her and my bf get on really well. For me, I think it was an age thing and I was seen as mature blah blah when I became an adult.
Just talk with your parents, ask them what they will and will not allow when it comes to meeting friends and meeting boys. If you do as they ask they may become more liberal with you and you may become more comfortable with them as a result. Obviously it depends on the individual and family, idk your circumstances so

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending