The Student Room Group

Dentistry work experience

Original post by Blue_Cow
What course?

Unless you're applying for medicine/dentistry/vetinary etc. then you needn't worry.

Hi I’m in year 12 too. I have found 0 work experience and it is really really frustrating and I am struggling. I found a hide of A-Z dental practices that’s available from where I live and now I’m on word N and called, emailed, sent cv to a lot of places and sadly they say they don’t do it because we haven’t go the injections or so to health and safety etc. I am really worried and struggling. I don’t know what to do!
Original post by ArtmisKco
Hi I’m in year 12 too. I have found 0 work experience and it is really really frustrating and I am struggling. I found a hide of A-Z dental practices that’s available from where I live and now I’m on word N and called, emailed, sent cv to a lot of places and sadly they say they don’t do it because we haven’t go the injections or so to health and safety etc. I am really worried and struggling. I don’t know what to do!

I've moved your post to a new thread in the Dentistry forum

Have you spoken to the careers advisors at school? Can they put you in contact with dental practices that past applicants have successfuly gained work experience?

Orthodontists? Dental hospitals? Hospitals with a dental faculty? Dental laboratories?
Original post by Blue_Cow
I've moved your post to a new thread in the Dentistry forum

Have you spoken to the careers advisors at school? Can they put you in contact with dental practices that past applicants have successfuly gained work experience?

Orthodontists? Dental hospitals? Hospitals with a dental faculty? Dental laboratories?

Unfortunately my careers advisor said that we have to call ourselves and find our own work experience. I’ve tried the university dental hospital and they said they don’t have work experience for now. I might try some other hospitals maybe I’ll have more luck with them and like the dental practices I’ve calmed a lot of dental labs😞 I’ll let you know on Monday about what happens when I call the remaining places

Just a tip. Make a list of the uni’s you would consider studying Dentistry at and make a list of what each one requires in terms of work experience. This can be found easily on their websites. (Eg, some universities require at least 3 days, meanwhile some require at least 2 weeks. It all varies).
And in terms of actually finding the experience, have you looked further away from where you actually live. With work experience, they expect you to go to certain measures to actually get the experience. Try phoning some clinics that aren’t as close to you. A small commute is worth it when a uni offer and course is on the line!
And secondly, try finding care homes to volunteer at as well as dental practices. Many uni’s are looking for individuals with empathy and communication skills to study Dentistry (it’s a main part of the actual characteristics of one) and its even stated on some uni websites that volunteering is preferred. Personally, I also volunteered for a few months during a time where I also found it hard to find NHS work experience.
I hope you find the work experience you need! I wish you the best of luck! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Isn’t brushing your teeth classed as work experience? 😉
Original post by Sumayyah.Akhtar
Just a tip. Make a list of the uni’s you would consider studying Dentistry at and make a list of what each one requires in terms of work experience. This can be found easily on their websites. (Eg, some universities require at least 3 days, meanwhile some require at least 2 weeks. It all varies).
And in terms of actually finding the experience, have you looked further away from where you actually live. With work experience, they expect you to go to certain measures to actually get the experience. Try phoning some clinics that aren’t as close to you. A small commute is worth it when a uni offer and course is on the line!
And secondly, try finding care homes to volunteer at as well as dental practices. Many uni’s are looking for individuals with empathy and communication skills to study Dentistry (it’s a main part of the actual characteristics of one) and its even stated on some uni websites that volunteering is preferred. Personally, I also volunteered for a few months during a time where I also found it hard to find NHS work experience.
I hope you find the work experience you need! I wish you the best of luck! :smile:

Thank you so much! I want to do at least two weeks but a bit more would be nice and I’ve called everywhere that’s 30-40 minutes away from me as well 😞 I was wondering dentistry volunteering and work experience, what would be the difference?🧐 I know that volunteering is to help people out and to experience people and etc but like how would dentistry volunteering and work experience be different? I would also love to do volunteering at a care home but I’ve called all on Manchester and no luck. One said to fill in their form which was a month ago and I haven’t had any responses so I thought maybe work experience at a school? Or there’s this Sikh charity group that helps the homeless on sundays, should I do that?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by CTLeafez
Isn’t brushing your teeth classed as work experience? 😉

Haha very true :biggrin:
Thank you so much! I was wondering dentistry volunteering and work experience, what would be the difference?🧐 I know that volunteering is to help people out and to experience people and etc but like how would dentistry volunteering and work experience be different? I would also love to do volunteering at a care home but I’ve called all on Manchester and no luck. One said to fill in their form which was a month ago and I haven’t had any responses so I thought maybe work experience at a school? Or there’s this Sikh charity group that helps the homeless on sundays, should I do that?

Yes!! Take up on that.
And Dentistry Volunteering is basically when qualified Dentists, volunteer to work in mobile dental units to provide dental and non-trained students support dental professionals by assisting with administrative work etc.
Meanwhile work experience, it’s a lot more learning and experiencing.
Universities require work experience, meanwhile volunteering is just beneficial to your application and make you a preferred candidate.
Hope I helped! ☺️
Original post by Sumayyah.Akhtar
Yes!! Take up on that.
And Dentistry Volunteering is basically when qualified Dentists, volunteer to work in mobile dental units to provide dental and non-trained students support dental professionals by assisting with administrative work etc.
Meanwhile work experience, it’s a lot more learning and experiencing.
Universities require work experience, meanwhile volunteering is just beneficial to your application and make you a preferred candidate.
Hope I helped! ☺️

Thank you so much! Then I’ll start the volunteering as soon as possible and hopefully I’ll find work experience soon I’ll be sure to let you know thanks again!!
Thank you so much! Then I’ll start the volunteering as soon as possible and hopefully I’ll find work experience soon I’ll be sure to let you know thanks again!!

You’re welcome and please do! And good luck with finding it. If you ever need any help regarding any part of applying to Dentistry, feel free to ask. :smile:

Quick Reply