Why do I HATE doing university assignments so much?

Watch
AAhmed123
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi all

I am a postgrad student doing my masters in Psychology. This year I have ABSOLOUTELY HATED doing my assingments. I know i dont enjoy my course as much but I cant imagine it would ever result in me being this bad. I struggled at undergrad but nothing this bad.

I feel like I put them off so much, and end up starting them a day of 2 before. When i do start, i last about 5-10 mins just messing around doing a title, then close my computer. Then takes me about 2/3 hours to convince myself to open it again, when I do finally open up the doccument, i just copy and paste everything i need, change a few words here and there and then submit it. Last semester I got in trouble for plagurism due to C&P and therefore have to re-do that assessment in the summer. Right now I have another one due next week and still, i cant do it, i am copy and pasting again. I dread coming home from work to do them, i hate waking up knowing i have them on my mind, i cant go out without feeling guilty, i feel like its taking over my life something I hate so much. I cant even leave the house and relax and enjoy myself without dreading coming back to do the assingments. I was organised in undergrad, always making plans, getting things done getting 70% & over! I feel like once i came back over the summer with the long break i just dont know i cant even remember how to do an essay or something

All my turn it in scores come back 40% & over and my grades are basic passes. The course isnt THAT bad, its just very boring but nothing that makes me wanna drop out. What is this feeling? Do i hate my course but not admitting it? Or does everyone despise assingments as much as me? Yesterday i thought it was my home environment which was distracting me, so decided to go to the libary and work. I lasted 20 mins again just messing around editting irrelevant things, copy & pasting stuff and eventually logged off and made the 1 hour journey home. Absoloutely useless trip that was. I seriously have no idea how to motivate myself, what is this feeling?

Thanks
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AAhmed123)
Hi all

I am a postgrad student doing my masters in Psychology. This year I have ABSOLOUTELY HATED doing my assingments. I know i dont enjoy my course as much but I cant imagine it would ever result in me being this bad. I struggled at undergrad but nothing this bad.

I feel like I put them off so much, and end up starting them a day of 2 before. When i do start, i last about 5-10 mins just messing around doing a title, then close my computer. Then takes me about 2/3 hours to convince myself to open it again, when I do finally open up the doccument, i just copy and paste everything i need, change a few words here and there and then submit it. Last semester I got in trouble for plagurism due to C&P and therefore have to re-do that assessment in the summer. Right now I have another one due next week and still, i cant do it, i am copy and pasting again. I dread coming home from work to do them, i hate waking up knowing i have them on my mind, i cant go out without feeling guilty, i feel like its taking over my life something I hate so much. I cant even leave the house and relax and enjoy myself without dreading coming back to do the assingments. I was organised in undergrad, always making plans, getting things done getting 70% & over! I feel like once i came back over the summer with the long break i just dont know i cant even remember how to do an essay or something

All my turn it in scores come back 40% & over and my grades are basic passes. The course isnt THAT bad, its just very boring but nothing that makes me wanna drop out. What is this feeling? Do i hate my course but not admitting it? Or does everyone despise assingments as much as me? Yesterday i thought it was my home environment which was distracting me, so decided to go to the libary and work. I lasted 20 mins again just messing around editting irrelevant things, copy & pasting stuff and eventually logged off and made the 1 hour journey home. Absoloutely useless trip that was. I seriously have no idea how to motivate myself, what is this feeling?

Thanks
Why did you choose to do a master's in the first place? I've seen people experience this kind of apathy after choosing to do a master's purely because they didn't know what else to do after their undergrad.

Constructing an assignment purely based on copying and pasting will never get you high marks at master's level if you aren't demonstrating critical thought and your own ideas. It sounds like you've got into bad habits in academic writing, so you should visit your university's study skills department to get advice. At the rate you're going, you could get done for plagiarism again, and kicked out before even completing the year.

Getting frustrated with assignments and procrastinating (to a certain extent) is typical of most students - the degree to which you feel it may be more than that. Have you lost your passion for your subject? How would you feel about graduating with a pass?
Last edited by PhoenixFortune; 1 year ago
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by AAhmed123)
Hi all

Thanks
Hi AAhmed123 :hello:

I found during my postgraduate degree that I sometimes struggled to get going with work too. I found that it was because I hadn't got in a routine with them and hadn't figured out the best way of working for me. I would, first of all, recommend talking to a tutor or someone in your university who can help with study technique.

Here are a few other things that also helped me get going when doing my Master's:

Study SMART Not Long: It much easier to implement a regular and successful study schedule if you are studying SMART.
o Set yourself goals.
o Make study techniques that promote greater results.
o Ask for help.
o Reward yourself for progress.
o Take a Break.

S: Set yourself goals for study. For example, make up an exam/essay question and work towards answering it.
M: Remember VARK. Are you a Visual learner, Audio learner, Reading learner or Kinetic learner. Use study techniques that will promote the best learning for yourself.
A: If you are struggling with anything ask your teacher for help. Their job is to help you with your studies. Alternatively, use study guides or the internet to help breakdown tough subjects.
R: When you hit your goals, complete work and meet important deadlines reward yourself with treats. For example, make watching an episode of your favourite show your reward for completing tasks.
T: When you’ve finished studying take breaks. Go for a walk, hang with friends or get a cup of tea and watch TV. It’s important not to overdo revising.

I hope this is useful. Good luck with your studies!

Melissa :five:
trapking
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Stop being a lazy **** and get your **** together
grten9
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Well that is not polite how do you manage trapking
Mr Wednesday
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by grten9)
Well that is not polite how do you manage trapking
Well no, but it does cut to the heart of the problem TBH. Cut and paste at Masters level with "previous form" for plagiarism is likely to end in tears.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (429)
56.75%
I don't have everything I need (327)
43.25%

Watched Threads