The Student Room Group

Should we break up

I’ve been with my boyfriend 6 months but he’s hurt me in the past we would be speaking for weeks and then he would just disappear or get back with his ex but we’ve decided to make ago of things but he doesn’t like me having guy friends I’ve had a close friend for 10 years and he’s supported me through thick and thin but he doesn’t like me speaking to him because he says it’s weird that we speak everyday and recently he’s been taking notice to who likes my pictures on Facebook and I received a text in the middle of the night asking me to delete a certain guy because he’s liked every single picture on my Facebook I do no the guy but never met him in person and now my mind is starting to think is this only going to get worse
Original post by Anonymous
I’ve been with my boyfriend 6 months but he’s hurt me in the past we would be speaking for weeks and then he would just disappear or get back with his ex but we’ve decided to make ago of things but he doesn’t like me having guy friends I’ve had a close friend for 10 years and he’s supported me through thick and thin but he doesn’t like me speaking to him because he says it’s weird that we speak everyday and recently he’s been taking notice to who likes my pictures on Facebook and I received a text in the middle of the night asking me to delete a certain guy because he’s liked every single picture on my Facebook I do no the guy but never met him in person and now my mind is starting to think is this only going to get worse

This sounds pretty emotionally abusive and controlling OP. Him getting back with his ex and not communicating with you is unacceptable imo - you deserve to be treated A LOT better.

Surround yourself with your friends and perhaps even have a few friends there/nearby if you choose to break up with your boyfriend just in case he reacts violently. I suggest you do break up with him. You don't need to try and work things out or end on good terms because he sounds like someone you wouldn't even want to be friends with. If he asks why just tell him the truth that you're unhappy but don't go into it because it sounds like he might try to talk you out of it or intimidate you and make you think it's your fault.

I'm sorry you've had to go through this for the past six months and I hope things get better for you xx
His behaviour seems totally inappropriate to me, personally I cant see things improving, although one lives in hope.
You deserve better. X
"is this only going to get worse"

You are right. Dump him and move on.
First, try to talk to him about all this, second, if he doesn't change his behaviour or the way he treats you then break up.
I have a male best friend of 10+ years whom I also speak to every day. If my partner told me to stop being friends with him solely because he's paranoid, I would dump him. There is no way I am losing a precious friendship like that just for a boyfriend who does not even trust me.
Talk to him about it first. It's a very unhealthy mindset and he could do with a dose of reality.

If he's unwilling to admit he's making a big deal out of nothing then, yes, it would be wise to leave him. Problems like that don't go away unless the paranoid partner is willing to admit they're being irrational and work on it.

I've a male best friend. Going out with him for dinner & wine Monday night. My partner isn't threatened by him - he knows it's platonic.

Quick Reply