dinaa_1
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
Okay so I've got to choose my GCSEs very soon and Im stuck between the MFL we learn. We learn French, Spanish and German in our school. Im not considering taking any MFL up to A levels so genuinely just need advice on the easiest one.

I personally don't mind French- Im good at it, I don't really like Spanish but it is easy and I'm good at it, finally German which I LOVE! Apparently it gets really hard at GCSE though??

I can get my head around most German grammar: word order etc. However there is one thing I struggle with: remembering which nouns have der/die/das. Will this hinder me ?
harleynotquinn
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hiya,
i did french and german for gcse so maybe i can help!
it's obviously your decision as to what subject you choose, so i'll just give a brief summary over what it's like at gcse. both subjects have the exact same exam structure; you're assessed on listening, reading, speaking and writing. in terms of what's easiest, i'd say french is the most accessible; there are less complicated tenses to learn, more simple vocab etc. german is definitely harder than french as there are more tenses that differentiate between themselves, the vocab is quite detailed and there are quite a lot of words to learn (however that's the same with all languages from what i've heard). the situation with der/die/das doesn't really change; i'd say just try and learn which words go with each article if you find that heard. but if you enjoy german, i'd say definitely choose it. i had a whale of a time learning both german and french and ended up walking out with a grade 8 in german and a 9 in french, so it's definitely worth choosing either. i can't say much about spanish as i never learnt it, but i enjoyed german at gcse so much that i ended up taking it for a level! it's your choice, but i would recommend either german or french.
hope i could help
dinaa_1
Rep:
?
Thank you sooo much for the detail. Honestly so grateful.

How did you practice der/die/das? Did you just learn it or were there any apps/websites that helped?

More generally, what resources (YT Channels/websites/apps)did you use for French and German?

Its amazing how you took both and did so well
harleynotquinn
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
hi again,
for der/die/das i mainly just took all the main nouns i needed to know from a specific topic or whatever i was learning at that time and made a table of the words that were der, die or das, and memorised it from there, if you break it down into small chunks or by topics it's easier to learn.
in terms of websites, reverso is great if you ever need help with translation, and in terms of general vocab learning you can't go wrong with a quizlet set of words for a specific topic or language technique. websites like language gym are good for memorising vocab as well
ttomato
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by dinaa_1)
Okay so I've got to choose my GCSEs very soon and Im stuck between the MFL we learn. We learn French, Spanish and German in our school. Im not considering taking any MFL up to A levels so genuinely just need advice on the easiest one.

I personally don't mind French- Im good at it, I don't really like Spanish but it is easy and I'm good at it, finally German which I LOVE! Apparently it gets really hard at GCSE though??

I can get my head around most German grammar: word order etc. However there is one thing I struggle with: remembering which nouns have der/die/das. Will this hinder me ?
I also did both French and German at GCSE, and managed to achieve 9s in both. I've been learning French for one less year than I've been learning German, but I would argue that German is easier. The listening exam was really easy because the words are so defined. I also found the accent a lot easier to pick up, which was really useful for the speaking exam. I don't know which exam board you're doing, but AQA have a list of the core vocabulary needed for the GCSE. I learnt most of it before my exam, and as a result, I didn't come into contact with many words I hadn't seen before. Going through this list now will make your GCSEs very easy. In regards to the genders, there are a few tricks that you can learn that may help with remembering which one is which. For example, nouns ending in -er, -el, -ling, -ich, -ig, -ner, -ismus, -or, -us, -eich, -ant are always masculine. I definitely recommend choosing the language you enjoy the most because at the end of the day, it is so much easier to spend time revising something you are engaged by. Some useful websites are:
Languages Online (for grammar)
Conjuguemos (for verb conjugations)
Memrise/ Quizlet (for new vocab)
AQA Core Vocabulary List
dinaa_1
Rep:
?
(Original post by ttomato)
I also did both French and German at GCSE, and managed to achieve 9s in both. I've been learning French for one less year than I've been learning German, but I would argue that German is easier. The listening exam was really easy because the words are so defined. I also found the accent a lot easier to pick up, which was really useful for the speaking exam. I don't know which exam board you're doing, but AQA have a list of the core vocabulary needed for the GCSE. I learnt most of it before my exam, and as a result, I didn't come into contact with many words I hadn't seen before. Going through this list now will make your GCSEs very easy. In regards to the genders, there are a few tricks that you can learn that may help with remembering which one is which. For example, nouns ending in -er, -el, -ling, -ich, -ig, -ner, -ismus, -or, -us, -eich, -ant are always masculine. I definitely recommend choosing the language you enjoy the most because at the end of the day, it is so much easier to spend time revising something you are engaged by. Some useful websites are:
Languages Online (for grammar)
Conjuguemos (for verb conjugations)
Memrise/ Quizlet (for new vocab)
AQA Core Vocabulary List
(Original post by harleynotquinn)
hi again,
for der/die/das i mainly just took all the main nouns i needed to know from a specific topic or whatever i was learning at that time and made a table of the words that were der, die or das, and memorised it from there, if you break it down into small chunks or by topics it's easier to learn.
in terms of websites, reverso is great if you ever need help with translation, and in terms of general vocab learning you can't go wrong with a quizlet set of words for a specific topic or language technique. websites like language gym are good for memorising vocab as well
Thank you both so much for your advice. I really appreciate your time and detailed responses. I feel so much more informed about my decision and I think I'm leaning towards German now.
harleynotquinn
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
awwwh, you're very welcome
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now? (select all that apply)

Lack of purpose or routine (283)
15.29%
Uncertainty around my education (290)
15.67%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (184)
9.94%
Isolating with family (131)
7.08%
Lack of support system (eg. Teachers, counsellors) (85)
4.59%
Lack of exercise/ability to be outside (154)
8.32%
Loneliness (184)
9.94%
Financial worries (76)
4.11%
Concern about myself or my loved ones getting ill (170)
9.18%
Exposure to negative news/social media (132)
7.13%
Lack of real life entertainment (eg. cinema, gigs, restaurants) (162)
8.75%

Watched Threads