What the heck is a ”womxn” and how do you pronounce it?

Watch
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
So apparently ”womxn” is a Feminist™ way of spelling ”woman”. This brings to mind a few things:
Why not just write ”woman”?
And how on earth do you pronounce it?

:hmmm:
Last edited by username2998742; 9 months ago
Em.-.
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I think it’s because it has “man” in it. Feminists really be getting triggered over words that have been in the English dictionary since it was like invented. If they wanted to change it they should at least have made it easily pronounceable.
username2998742
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
What is this
TheMadNerd93
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Not gonna lie. I do consider myself a feminist, but have no idea what "womxn" stands for or what the real motive behind such a word is. Just now got to know from both your posts😂
Arthur_Morgan
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
No idea.

I prefer to use the word whamen.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
If feminists are truly intersectional, they should have considered people who's languages do not contain the W and X sounds. By rights, I should be able to claim 5 Oppression Points for this microagression against Finnish speakers who cannot pronounce ”womxn” and must instead say ”vomksn”. (notes on why ”vomksn” is grammatically incorrect in spoiler)

Spoiler:
Show
”vomksn” would be highly irregular as the digraph ”ks” is only ever used in loanwords like taksi (taxi) and ksenofobia (xenophobia) both of which have a vowel after the digraph, not to mention that words ending in -n (with the exception of words ending in -nen such as Savolainen (a Savonian) and ihminen (a person) are genitive. The best way to Fennicize a word like ”womxn” would be to write it as vömksi (which is already grammatically dubious due to -ksi being the translative suffix) and decline it as a Kotus* type 5 noun (vömksi, vömksit, vömksin, vömksien) or to use the Finnish for woman (nainen) and put a ”ks” digraph in there (naksien or naiksen) which is the least gramattically dubious option.

* Kotus = Kotimäiden Kielten Keskus - literally means ”Centre for Languages of the Homeland”. Authority on the use of the Finnish language (as well as Finland Swedish, Sami and Kalo, the language of Finnish gypsies), not known (either in Finnish or English) as the KKK for quite obvious reasons.
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by TheMadNerd93)
Not gonna lie. I do consider myself a feminist, but have no idea what "womxn" stands for or what the real motive behind such a word is. Just now got to know from both your posts😂
Same

Don't tar all feminists with the same brush - we're not all nutters just because a few are
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
I assume they also want the following changes
Oman to Omxn
Roman to Romxm
Romantic to Romxntic
Sir Cumference
  • Study Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
This makes sense to me. I’ve started saying magpxe instead of magpie since it contains the word “pie” and I’m on a diet.
OddOnes
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
People who claim feminists are all man hating triggered people are just as stupid and triggered as what they make fun of

If you want equal rights for women, you're a feminist.
Ascend
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by OddOnes)
This is the only definition of feminism shared by all feminists. Back to basics.
Iñigo de Loyola
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
(Original post by Ascend)
Back to basics.
Didn't realise you were such a fan of rap
sinfonietta
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Feminists like this don't represent us all, promise!
N. Auditoré
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Em.-.)
I think it’s because it has “man” in it. Feminists really be getting triggered over words that have been in the English dictionary since it was like invented. If they wanted to change it they should at least have made it easily pronounceable.
*sigh* those are pseudo-liberals and their efforts seem to be working judging by this thread’s replies
princetonalec
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
So apparently ”womxn” is a Feminist™ way of spelling ”woman”. This brings to mind a few things:
Why not just write ”woman”?
And how on earth do you pronounce it?

:hmmm:
"Womxn" comes from a group of feminists called Trans Exclusionary Radical Feminists (TERFS) and acts as a reference to a beliefx that chromozones denote one's gender identity.
username5114988
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Pronounced woman :lol:
londonmyst
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Nothing new except the use of blogs and social media- just the same old attempt to socially stigmatise use of the words "man" and "male".
My father's been doing this type of thing for as long as I can remember, probably was the same in the 1970s.
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Arthur_Morgan)
No idea.

I prefer to use the word whamen.
Waemen, woemen, ŵœmėn
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by OddOnes)
People who claim feminists are all man hating triggered people are just as stupid and triggered as what they make fun of

Those types of people are feminazis and believe that women are actually better than men
Greywolf.
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by sinfonietta)
Feminists like this don't represent us all, promise!
I’d like to think of myself as a male feminist, if that’s at all allowed (cos feminazis be craaaazy)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (28)
19.18%
I'm not sure (3)
2.05%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (50)
34.25%
I have already dropped out (3)
2.05%
I'm not a current university student (62)
42.47%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise