Wright0110
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
A man is trying to claim on his insurance so puts something on a bus to start a fire. A driver sees the fire and loses control and crashes and dies.

Could oblique intention be considered that it was virtually certain the fire on the bus would cause GBH?
Or
. Could it be unlawful act manslaughter if so what is the base offence? ( we have not learnt criminal damage and have learnt non fatal offences/fraud etc) or could it be gross negligence manslaughter as the man owns the bus?
Last edited by Wright0110; 1 year ago
IpsaLoquitur
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
S.1(2) criminal damage (Criminal Damage Act) would be the basis for unlawful act manslaughter, if you haven't learned about that yet I don't think there is another obvious offence to base it on (and even then criminal damage would be tricky in terms of the mens rea here). Looks more like you want gross negligence manslaughter, based of the duties that road users owe each other.
Wright0110
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by IpsaLoquitur)
S.1(2) criminal damage (Criminal Damage Act) would be the basis for unlawful act manslaughter, if you haven't learned about that yet I don't think there is another obvious offence to base it on (and even then criminal damage would be tricky in terms of the mens rea here). Looks more like you want gross negligence manslaughter, based of the duties that road users owe each other.
Thank you very much for your reply, I really appreciate it. Just considering oblique intention? He set a device to start a fire on the moving bus would you say it’s reasonable to use oblique intention that it was foreseeable of virtually certain circumstances of GBH for intent for the murder offence of the driver dying?
IpsaLoquitur
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Wright0110)
Thank you very much for your reply, I really appreciate it. Just considering oblique intention? He set a device to start a fire on the moving bus would you say it’s reasonable to use oblique intention that it was foreseeable of virtually certain circumstances of GBH for intent for the murder offence of the driver dying?
You could argue it certainly, but I think a jury would find it hard to believe that someone would definitely die/be seriously hurt if it was an empty bus on fire. It depends on the circumstances of course, such as how busy the road was, was he still driving the bus and keeping it under control, was anyone else on the bus near the device, etc.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (51)
18.35%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (78)
28.06%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (102)
36.69%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (37)
13.31%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (10)
3.6%

Watched Threads