The Student Room Group

Going from MEng to MSc Finance, suggestion on a suitable university choice

I'd like to come back and study MSc Finance in the UK, but I'm not sure where to apply, depending on the probability of acceptance. My desirable place should not just provide academic resource, but should rather widen my experience in finance, investment, and banking (which is of course pave the pathway to the big finance corporate). Societies I'd like to join, for example; finance, public speaking, investing, travelling.

Desirable places (not in order of preference):
1. Kings' College London
2. LSE
3. Imperial
4. any other suggestions

My backgrounds:

A-Level (UK): A*A*A
MEng Aeronautical Engineering (Imperial): 1st-1, 2nd-U2, 3rd-1, and 4th-L2
overall -> U2
Work experience for 10 months in Risk Management (in a bank) back in my hometown
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by np2314
I'd like to come back and study MSc Finance in the UK, but I'm not sure where to apply, depending on the probability of acceptance. My desirable place should not just provide academic resource, but should rather widen my experience in finance, investment, and banking (which is of course pave the pathway to the big finance corporate). Societies I'd like to join, for example; finance, public speaking, investing, travelling.

Desirable places (not in order of preference):
1. Kings' College London
2. LSE
3. Imperial
4. any other suggestions

My backgrounds:

A-Level (UK): A*A*A
MEng Aeronautical Engineering (Imperial): 1st-1, 2nd-U2, 3rd-1, and 4th-L2
overall -> U2
Work experience for 10 months in Risk Management (in a bank) back in my hometown

If you can afford it, have you considered Cambridge’s MPhil in Finance?

https://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/programmes/research-programmes/research-masters/mphil-finance/

For the societies, you can get public speaking at the Cambridge Union, the oldest debating society in the world. There are other societies there that can support your interests.

https://www.cus.org

Suggested College: Jesus College

Good luck
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Wired_1800
If you can afford it, have you considered Cambridge’s MPhil in Finance?

https://www.jbs.cam.ac.uk/programmes/research-programmes/research-masters/mphil-finance/

For the societies, you can get public speaking at the Cambridge Union, the oldest debating society in the world. There are other societies there that can support your interests.

https://www.cus.org

Suggested College: Jesus College

Good luck

Thanks for your reply, but I got U2 in undergrad, with a little work experience, how could I possibly apply to Cambridge?
Original post by np2314
Thanks for your reply, but I got U2 in undergrad, with a little work experience, how could I possibly apply to Cambridge?

I understand, but, to me, it does not hurt to try. The entry req is a First though. I’d also apply to all the options you put up there.

Some other options are Warwick, Manchester, Oxford (Financial Economics) and Durham.
I'd suggest doing a GMAT and applying to LSE/LBS/Imperial MSc finance programs. A 2.1 in Eng should be fine with a strong GMAT.
Reply 5
Original post by xtrembob
I'd suggest doing a GMAT and applying to LSE/LBS/Imperial MSc finance programs. A 2.1 in Eng should be fine with a strong GMAT.

Is it possible to avoid doing GMAT.
Original post by np2314
Is it possible to avoid doing GMAT.

well a GMAT would be a way to show that you are better than just a 2.1. Avoiding taking the GMAT, only LSE/Imperial accept such applications + they are tradtionally the more academic focused Masters thus a 2.1 will be tough, with a GMAT, you could show that you have a 2.1+ top GMAT would show that you are a top quality candidate.
Reply 7
well a GMAT would be a way to show that you are better than just a 2.1. Avoiding taking the GMAT, only LSE/Imperial accept such applications + they are tradtionally the more academic focused Masters thus a 2.1 will be tough, with a GMAT, you could show that you have a 2.1+ top GMAT would show that you are a top quality candidate.

What do you mean by academically focused? Is it like just theory and few applications/experience? By the way, Imperial Aeronautics is the toughest in Europe.
Original post by np2314
What do you mean by academically focused? Is it like just theory and few applications/experience? By the way, Imperial Aeronautics is the toughest in Europe.

More focused on grades/research than employability when reviewing applications thus GMAT is quite important if you don’t have a first for them. I know, my best friend is doing that course...
Reply 9
More focused on grades/research than employability when reviewing applications thus GMAT is quite important if you don’t have a first for them. I know, my best friend is doing that course...

Then what university is more career/experience focused? LBS? Oxford Said? or else?
Original post by np2314
Then what university is more career/experience focused? LBS? Oxford Said? or else?

Oxford is quite academic too, LBS is the most career focused, then you'd have HEC which is quite career focused.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending