Lisabestman
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi. I'm from Nigeria and I want to apply for university in the uk but I need to write the gce A level exam. I think the exam starts in may but I don't know how to register. Do I go to a high school or college?
Compost
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Lisabestman)
Hi. I'm from Nigeria and I want to apply for university in the uk but I need to write the gce A level exam. I think the exam starts in may but I don't know how to register. Do I go to a high school or college?
You may have Nigerian qualifications that would count instead of A levels so check that first.
Are you hoping to take these exams in Nigeria or the UK?
What A levels were you intending to take? (And with which exam board?)
Have you been studying for them already?
Lisabestman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
You may have Nigerian qualifications that would count instead of A levels so check that first.
Are you hoping to take these exams in Nigeria or the UK?
What A levels were you intending to take? (And with which exam board?)
Have you been studying for them already?
I just moved to UK. Gce A level. I applied for university last year but my application was unsuccessful so I was hoping to write the A level exam this year and apply for university again by September. I just need information on how to apply for the A level exam
satsun
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just moved to UK. Gce A level. I applied for university last year but my application was unsuccessful so I was hoping to write the A level exam this year and apply for university again by September. I just need information on how to apply for the A level exam
Which A-Levels are you hoping to take?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
To take exams as a private candidates (i.e. without attending a college) you need to find an exam centre (any secondary schools or college) that accepts private candidates and then everything is arranged through them. The main entry deadline at the exam board is in mid February but many centres that do accept private candidates will stop accepting them after the end of January so you need to get a move on. The cost varies enormously depending on the subjects you want to take and the centre. Anything under £250 per A level is probably a good deal but taking anything involving non-examination assessment (aka coursework) or assessed practicals is much harder to arrange and more expensive - as you haven't said what you want to study I can't provide any advice on this.

There is lots of advice on the different exam board websites about being a private candidate, e.g.
https://www.aqa.org.uk/student-and-p...ate-candidates
https://www.ocr.org.uk/students/private-candidates/
https://qualifications.pearson.com/e...andidates.html
Lisabestman
Rep:
?
(Original post by satsun)
Which A-Levels are you hoping to take?
I don't know. How A-levels are they?
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
If you haven't even thought about the subjects you might pick then there is no way you'd be ready to take exams in the Summer.
You don't say what you're hoping to study at university but this https://www.studentladder.co.uk/year...evel-subjects/ gives you an idea of what subjects you would need for different courses although for many subjects there are none - or one one - required subjects but you do need to complete 3.

There is a list here https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...s-and-guidance of all the A levels approved for teaching in England.
Last edited by Compost; 1 year ago
satsun
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am a private candidate too. The college I will sit my exams only charge me the price of the exams, not an extra admission. You can chose from a vast array of subjects. UCAS applications deadline is on Wednesday.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
UCAS applications deadline is on Wednesday.
If the OP isn't even aware what A levels there are there is no way he is going to be able to make a UCAS application by Wednesday. His only hope for starting university in September would be to apply in the Summer through Clearing.
Lisabestman
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
If you haven't even thought about the subjects you might pick then there is no way you'd be ready to take exams in the Summer.
You don't say what you're hoping to study at university but this https://www.studentladder.co.uk/year...evel-subjects/ gives you an idea of what subjects you would need for different courses although for many subjects there are none - or one one - required subjects but you do need to complete 3.

There is a list here https://www.gov.uk/government/collec...s-and-guidance of all the A levels approved for teaching in England.
Biology, chemistry and mathematics
Lisabestman
Rep:
?
I am a private candidate too. The college I will sit my exams only charge me the price of the exams, not an extra admission. You can chose from a vast array of subjects. UCAS applications deadline is on Wednesday.
I know about ucas deadline. But I'm applying in September so I need to register for the A level and write the exam before applying for university by September
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Biology, chemistry and mathematics
Biology and Chemistry (and Physics) cause a significant issue for private candidates as, if a university course requires Biology or Chemistry, it also normally requires you to get a pass in the practical endorsement. This involves you undertaking 12 specified practicals at a registered exam centre and writing them up - not many centres will accept people to go these and those that do tend to charge A LOT. The practicals are just PAss/Fail and passing does not affect the overall grade, but you do need to pass.

There are loads of threads on TSR about taking the practicals as a private candidate, but expect to pay around £1,000 per A level to achieve it - assuming you can find anywhere to accept you.

You'll find some more advice about finding centres here: https://he-exams.wikia.org/wiki/HE_Exams_Wiki
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I know about ucas deadline. But I'm applying in September so I need to register for the A level and write the exam before applying for university by September
If you apply in September 2020 for a September 2021 start you can take the exams in 2021.
deeaadeea
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
anyone from poole/bournemouth? I need a centre...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (139)
42.51%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (38)
11.62%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (27)
8.26%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (70)
21.41%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (34)
10.4%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
5.81%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed