The Student Room Group

PGCE: support plan

Hello,

I had my support plan meeting and (in summary) was told the support will be place, I need to stop complaining now and be more confident and stop feeling overwhelmed.

Then they stayed back to talk some more after I left. I’m guessing I’ll find out next week what happened.

Does anyone have any tips about how to not feel overwhelmed and anxious all the time?

> I have been in contact with the university but as I’m a distance learner and I work 7:30-7pm in the school and there opening times are 9-4pm. It doesn’t work.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
What support are you getting currently, and what support do you think you need?

This is presumably your second placement where you should be getting a bit less support per class you take especially with behaviour, but taking on more and more teaching hours.
Original post by Anomous1232
Hello,

I had my support plan meeting and (in summary) was told the support will be place, I need to stop complaining now and be more confident and stop feeling overwhelmed.

Then they stayed back to talk some more after I left. I’m guessing I’ll find out next week what happened.

Does anyone have any tips about how to not feel overwhelmed and anxious all the time?

> I have been in contact with the university but as I’m a distance learner and I work 7:30-7pm in the school and there opening times are 9-4pm. It doesn’t work.

Can you contact the uni during lunch, or when you have frees?

If you feel overwhelmed and anxious all the time, then I'd suggest seeing your GP- that sounds beyond what can normally be expected on the PGCE and like there might be some mental health issues in play as well. You should be allowed time off from placement to see a GP about an urgent health issue which this is.

You're not going to make progress if your mental health is struggling.
Reply 3
Original post by ThomH97
What support are you getting currently, and what support do you think you need?

This is presumably your second placement where you should be getting a bit less support per class you take especially with behaviour, but taking on more and more teaching hours.

My second placement have offered to let me take a step back and observe as well as team teach for part of this week. It helps a lot.

The support I need will now be in place but I do need to pro active and work harder.

For example if don’t get a reply with feedback with planning via email I shouldn’t assume it’s good for where I need to be during this time in my training and I should go and ask another class teacher (not class teacher or mentor). I did say they’re not really there but I was told to go to other teachers which makes sense and I should have thought of it sooner.
Reply 4
Original post by SarcAndSpark
Can you contact the uni during lunch, or when you have frees?

If you feel overwhelmed and anxious all the time, then I'd suggest seeing your GP- that sounds beyond what can normally be expected on the PGCE and like there might be some mental health issues in play as well. You should be allowed time off from placement to see a GP about an urgent health issue which this is.

You're not going to make progress if your mental health is struggling.

I work through lunch mostly and I don’t get any frees- I’m observing when I’m not teaching. I’m a primary school trainee.

I’ve taken a couple sick days because I couldn’t stop crying. I can’t take any more days off.

I can’t take time off for a GP appointment it needs to be during non contact hours.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Anomous1232
I work through lunch mostly and I don’t get any frees- I’m observing when I’m not teaching. I’m a primary school trainee.

I’ve taken a couple sick days because I couldn’t stop crying. I can’t take any more days off.

I can’t take time off for a GP appointment it needs to be during non contact hours.

You should have some time on your timetable allocated as PPA- use one of these to contact uni. If you don't have these, I'd suggest contacting your uni by email and explaining the situation. Or else take some time just after home time to say you need to contact your uni tutor. Tell your mentor/host teacher you need to urgently contact uni about something, and ask when they suggest you do it- say it has to be between 9 and 4. There will be a solution!

I know you're told about the 10 day limit when you start training, but in reality, if you need mental health support, or have a good reason, you can go over this.

Make speaking to your uni tutor a priority- and if they're unhelpful go to your course leader or someone like that. Unless you're able to take some time to deal with mental health issues, things aren't going to get better. Your uni will support you in this, but you need to find a way to speak to them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending