The Student Room Group
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website

Should I accept unconditional or not?

I've applied for Biochemistry at Leicester, Warwick, Birmingham, Aston and Nottingham trent. They have all gave me conditional but Leicester said they will lower my grade requirements if i make them firm and nottingham trent said they will make it unconditional. Which do u think i should do? Leicester or Nottingham trent?
Original post by Bismahghafoor470
I've applied for Biochemistry at Leicester, Warwick, Birmingham, Aston and Nottingham trent. They have all gave me conditional but Leicester said they will lower my grade requirements if i make them firm and nottingham trent said they will make it unconditional. Which do u think i should do? Leicester or Nottingham trent?
Are these the two universities you would have been making your firm and insurance choices anyway? Or have they just become top on account of the kinds of offers they made you?
Students on campus Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham Trent University
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
Put the universities in order of which you'd choose to go to regardless of the offers you received (just think about the course, open day experience, etc.)

Are you only considering accepting Leicester or Nottingham Trent because of their better offers? At the end of the day, when you're at university, it doesn't matter how you got in, whether it was through an unconditional offer or clearing, but that you're at a university doing a course you're happy with.

Also, how likely are you to get into the university you'd most like to go to with their offer. If you think you have a good chance of getting in, put them top and put a university with a lower offer that you'd also be happy with as second. Only go for the unconditional if you'd really like to go to this university (it's your favourite) or you think it's unlikely you'll get into another university.
Reply 3
This should be illegal.

But to answer your question, go with the choices you prefer, based on their course content, societies, location or whatever else helped you decide to apply for them in the first place. If a course normally claims to require AAA, but is willing to accept you with 3 fails just because you put then as firm, that raises two questions. First is, are you going to struggle if everyone else in your course got AAA? And second is do they really care about educating you, or just want a fee payer even if you're not up to standard?
Original post by 04MR17
Are these the two universities you would have been making your firm and insurance choices anyway? Or have they just become top on account of the kinds of offers they made you?

I've always thought of Leicester as being my firm or insaurance but I've recently gave more thought to NTU due to the unconditional offer
I've always thought of Leicester as being my firm or insaurance but I've recently gave more thought to NTU due to the unconditional offer

I don't think you should let the unconditional offer sway you to the extent that you are thinking of Firming a uni you previously were probably not even going to Insure. In my opinion it would make much more sense to still Firm or Insure Leicester, since they are clearly a uni you genuinely like.

You have months to decide so there is absolutely no hurry, those offers are not going to be snatched away from you. Have you visited Warwick and Birmingham? It would make sense to do so in order to decide whether they are significantly better than Leicester or whether you would be happy Firming Leicester. Would you be able to Insure Notts Trent or does the offer depend upon you Firming them?
Original post by EJ 12
Put the universities in order of which you'd choose to go to regardless of the offers you received (just think about the course, open day experience, etc.)

Are you only considering accepting Leicester or Nottingham Trent because of their better offers? At the end of the day, when you're at university, it doesn't matter how you got in, whether it was through an unconditional offer or clearing, but that you're at a university doing a course you're happy with.

Also, how likely are you to get into the university you'd most like to go to with their offer. If you think you have a good chance of getting in, put them top and put a university with a lower offer that you'd also be happy with as second. Only go for the unconditional if you'd really like to go to this university (it's your favourite) or you think it's unlikely you'll get into another university.

Thanks for the advice
Original post by harrysbar
I don't think you should let the unconditional offer sway you to the extent that you are thinking of Firming a uni you previously were probably not even going to Insure. In my opinion it would make much more sense to still Firm or Insure Leicester, since they are clearly a uni you genuinely like.

You have months to decide so there is absolutely no hurry, those offers are not going to be snatched away from you. Have you visited Warwick and Birmingham? It would make sense to do so in order to decide whether they are significantly better than Leicester or whether you would be happy Firming Leicester. Would you be able to Insure Notts Trent or does the offer depend upon you Firming them?

The ntu offer is dependent on me firming them. I feel confident in my grades, predictions A* A B however i do not feel too confident in chemistry, feel like i may get a c in that (i need 3 Bs minimum for biochemistry) which why I'm considering ntu. I have considered it before i even got an offer dont get me wrong
The ntu offer is dependent on me firming them. I feel confident in my grades, predictions A* A B however i do not feel too confident in chemistry, feel like i may get a c in that (i need 3 Bs minimum for biochemistry) which why I'm considering ntu. I have considered it before i even got an offer dont get me wrong

So Leicester will give you BBB if you Firm them? And NTU would also give you BBB if you Insure them? I would do that personally since the fact that both unis are trying to bribe people to Firm them shows that they know they will struggle to fill spaces. That means that they are both likely to show a little flexibility at results time, especially NTU with their unconditional offers.

But it's up to you and like I said before, there's no hurry to decide. I would leave it at least a couple of months and see how your studies are going by Easter

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending