55.56%
Abolish the TV licence (4)
44.44%
Arran90
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
The Labour Party promised us free broadband. The Brexit Party pledged to abolish the TV licence.

Which of the two would you choose?
Last edited by Arran90; 2 weeks ago
ilikeapples2
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
probably free broadband. nowadays i use stuff like netflix, amazon prime and all 4 more than bbc stuff. also they dont ask you to prove you have a tv license so if my family didnt have one (we do) its so easy to just tick the "yes i have a tv license" box.
Andrew97
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Both are grossly unrealistic.
ByEeek
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
Both are grossly unrealistic.
Why? Losing the TV license would effectively for the BBC to privatise and we would end up going down the same hole of ads ever 5 minutes like you get on US TV.

Free broadband wouldn't be that hard to deliver given that all the infrastructure is in place. Could be cheaper to a tax payer as no dividends would have to come out of running costs.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Neither are going to happen.
jazzy0000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Neither, people need to stop begging for everything to be free xD
anosmianAcrimony
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I'd choose free broadband, but I'd prefer if public money were spent on more pressing concerns than our entertainment.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ByEeek)
Free broadband wouldn't be that hard to deliver given that all the infrastructure is in place. Could be cheaper to a tax payer as no dividends would have to come out of running costs.
Let's be honest, government-run broadband would be utterly crap. Slow, hard to connect to, only working on Windows XP, barely enough bandwidth to receive a gif and if you try to hookup a WiFi router to it you'll end up blowing up your house.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Drewski)
Let's be honest, government-run broadband would be utterly crap. Slow, hard to connect to, only working on Windows XP, barely enough bandwidth to receive a gif and if you try to hookup a WiFi router to it you'll end up blowing up your house.
You have described perfectly the broadband provided by private companies to most of the country outside the major cities. So what was your point?
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You have described perfectly the broadband provided by private companies to most of the country outside the major cities. So what was your point?
If there's no improvement, what's the point?
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If there's no improvement, what's the point?
Its free! The difference between state and private services is that the state serves people and private serves the shareholder. Hence why low profit areas are abandoned and forgotten. If the Rotal Mail had their way, they wouldn't serve 70% of the country for example.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Its free! The difference between state and private services is that the state serves people and private serves the shareholder. Hence why low profit areas are abandoned and forgotten. If the Rotal Mail had their way, they wouldn't serve 70% of the country for example.
And with state services there's no incentive to improve.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Arran90)
The Labour Party promised us free broadband. The Brexit Party pledged to abolish the TV licence.

Which of the two would you choose?
The two are not comparable.

Abolition of the TV license would cost about 3.8bn with few negatives bar the cost to the taxpayer. If the state froze the subsidy and the BBC died there are thousands of competitors who would asset strip the content so most would still be made.

Providing free broadband would cost around 8bn and that is just to provide the current network and maintain it. It would destroy tens of firms and several thousand jobs. If the state did not increase the subsidy over time it would damage our economy relative to our international peers.
ByEeek
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
And with state services there's no incentive to improve.
That's not necessarily true. State run railways on the continent are vastly better than our private ones. And if there is no profit to be made there is no incentive for a private company to provideca service at all, good or bad. There are also a catelogue of companies which sell out on customer service in order to make a quick buck at the expense of the customer.

The idea that state is bad, private is good is a falacy. Both can be good and bad.
Drewski
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
That's not necessarily true. State run railways on the continent are vastly better than our private ones. And if there is no profit to be made there is no incentive for a private company to provideca service at all, good or bad. There are also a catelogue of companies which sell out on customer service in order to make a quick buck at the expense of the customer.

The idea that state is bad, private is good is a falacy. Both can be good and bad.
Fair point. See amended quote
And with our state services there's no incentive to improve.
abcthe123
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Abolition of the TV license.

I don't want the government having more control over the internet than they already do, Broadband nationalisation feels like one step away from China level state control. Frankly, Internet in the UK seems like one of the few services most people are actually satisfied with, I can't remember the last time I (or anybody I know) had problem with their network.

Traditional TV is dying anyway. Internet services are on the rise massively. Most TV channels will still exist. The BBC has been demonstrated to be blatantly politically biased and agenda driven so I would be happy with ending it.
Arran90
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Nobody so far has given any consideration that the TV licence could in the future be replaced with a media licence that is legally required for internet access as well as watching TV even if all you use the internet for is TSR. Denmark replaced the TV licence with a media licence a few years ago.

I have cynically thought that Labour would have introduced a media licence - the broadband itself is free but service providers request your media licence number or demand that you buy a media licence before connecting you. The money you pay for the media licence goes to the BBC.
ilikeapples2
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by jazzy0000)
Neither, people need to stop begging for everything to be free xD
why, some people can't afford things like broadband but need it for work or school are you trying to say they don't deserve it because they can't pay for it?
BlueIndigoViolet
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
despite the ramblings of some protestors, feel the BBC should be protected, despite the reality and subconcious bias, where impartiality is mandated by law is very important, and would only feel that loss when it is gone, when journalism is subjected to the dustbins and parties like in America and to the likes of Piers Morgan
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ilikeapples2)
why, some people can't afford things like broadband but need it for work or school are you trying to say they don't deserve it because they can't pay for it?
The UK has 93% broadband penetration, that suggests that actually people can afford what is actually one of your lowest household bills.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever signed up for an open day and then not gone to it?

Yes (214)
52.97%
No (190)
47.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed