The Student Room Group

No Job, No Friends, No Life.

So I went to a small secondary school, enjoyed my time there and stayed on to Sixth Form. Didn't really know what I wanted to study at uni, but I knew I wasn't comfortable with moving away to study so decided to stay at home and commute to a local uni (not a very good one).

Ended up doing Civil Engineering, despite not having much intention of pursuing a career in it (I want to work in public transport). Did well first year but realised in 2nd/3rd year that I really didn't like the degree, but decided to carry on with my heart not in it. Ended up with 2.2 and since last June I have been looking for jobs in the transport industry. Three interviews which went well but no luck. There are very few jobs in my area and can't afford to move away.

Only got a few months till funds run out and I apparently 'don't have enough experience' for entry level office jobs, and I'm over qualified to work in a shop or something. I don't have any friends at all, no idea how to make any (my uni peers also lived away).

Feel like I've messed up my life. Quite depressed and almost out of ideas.
You could ask your parents/relatives to help you out money-wise to move away and start a career in the transport industry that you really enjoy. Then you can gradually pay them back as money starts to come in from the job.
Original post by Cocochdy
You could ask your parents/relatives to help you out money-wise to move away and start a career in the transport industry that you really enjoy. Then you can gradually pay them back as money starts to come in from the job.

Parents can't afford to do that... only relatives who maybe could we are not on good terms with.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by seasidersfan
Parents can't afford to do that...

What about a bank loan?

Or you could also move in with a family friend that your parents trust. They might be living in a more strategic location with more job opportunities.

Or you could work at like, McDonald's for now (so you get money), along with doing some unpaid work experience to better your chances of being employed for an office job.
Original post by seasidersfan
So I went to a small secondary school, enjoyed my time there and stayed on to Sixth Form. Didn't really know what I wanted to study at uni, but I knew I wasn't comfortable with moving away to study so decided to stay at home and commute to a local uni (not a very good one).

Ended up doing Civil Engineering, despite not having much intention of pursuing a career in it (I want to work in public transport). Did well first year but realised in 2nd/3rd year that I really didn't like the degree, but decided to carry on with my heart not in it. Ended up with 2.2 and since last June I have been looking for jobs in the transport industry. Three interviews which went well but no luck. There are very few jobs in my area and can't afford to move away.

Only got a few months till funds run out and I apparently 'don't have enough experience' for entry level office jobs, and I'm over qualified to work in a shop or something. I don't have any friends at all, no idea how to make any (my uni peers also lived away).

Feel like I've messed up my life. Quite depressed and almost out of ideas.

Hey! I'm sorry you're feeling this way. Why do you feel you're overqualified to get a job in a shop? It would be great experience and get some money behind you. I have a degree and work full-time as a carer whilst I wait to go back to Uni in September.

With regards to friends, I think there are apps where you can meet friends (like tinder but for friends), or maybe go out to meet people? Like at bars etc. Did you not have friends at Uni? Could you not arrange meet ups with them?

Wishing you the best.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending