Xylo223
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 days ago
Hi,
so I started doing Modern languages this year at uni, and although I liked it at first I seem to have lost interested, and am starting to feel disengaged. I am going to wait till the end of first year and see if anything improves, but I genuinely feel unhappy there and the idea of staying there for another 3 years sounds like a bit of a nightmare. I think the turning point was when I spent the whole train journey back crying at the prospect of being there, and when everyone else said it was so good to be back, I just mumbled a reply without any enthusiasm.
I am thinking of transferring to a teaching course with a bit of a clearer route, as I have been interested in it, however it means I would have to go through the whole process of UCAS again.
Any advice?
thanks
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Xylo223)
Hi,
so I started doing Modern languages this year at uni, and although I liked it at first I seem to have lost interested, and am starting to feel disengaged. I am going to wait till the end of first year and see if anything improves, but I genuinely feel unhappy there and the idea of staying there for another 3 years sounds like a bit of a nightmare. I think the turning point was when I spent the whole train journey back crying at the prospect of being there, and when everyone else said it was so good to be back, I just mumbled a reply without any enthusiasm.
I am thinking of transferring to a teaching course with a bit of a clearer route, as I have been interested in it, however it means I would have to go through the whole process of UCAS again.
Any advice?
thanks
Check if its the wrong course, the wrong uni or the wrong time.
If you want a new course then it means ucas all over again, which is not a big deal compared to 3 years and the money it costs or future unhappiness.
Do your research. If its more than just the wrong course and you have genuine depression plus or anxiety then see the GP and you can use that to drop out via cpr. Alternatively you get one gift year so you can use that.
This is the transfer faq, but sounds more like you will be doing a fresh application. Be warned you will have missed the 15 Jan deadline, but unis often look at applications beyond that.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=1781424

Advice: research, think, consult and make a decision based on pros and cons.
Put it into action and send off application of good quality asap.
That gives you options.
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi,
Any advice?
thanks
Hi Xylo223

I was in the same boat as you during my first year of university. I found it really helpful to talk to people about the way I was feeling. Perhaps try chatting to a tutor or student support worker - they may be able to help you find a solution. If dropping out is the right choice for you, they should be able to support you during the process. However, I would advise to really think about if that is the right choice, and talk it over with people at the university first.

I hope this helps!

Melissa
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
Hi,
Any advice?
thanks
If you're thinking of teaching then it's likely to be difficult to find a place on a course with QTS in the Summer. I would recommend that you have a backup plan and try to find work as a TA or similar for a year to help you build your experience (teaching degrees with QTS are some of the most competitive and if you've already used your gift year of funding then it's important to make sure that you're 100% sure about the new degree choice) and apply in January 2021 for a start in the autumn.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (89)
13.07%
1 (89)
13.07%
2 (87)
12.78%
18.94%
22.32%
19.82%

Watched Threads