taylor swift !!
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
I’ve decided I want to do a Chemistry degree at uni (hopefully at Oxford) and then possibly a GDL but I’m not really sure at the moment.

My A-Level options are between Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Further Maths and Spanish, so which would be the best for Chemistry imagining I’m equally good at and enjoy them all the same?

Okay NOW if I tell you that I like Biology enough to keep studying it but I do prefer the other subjects which subjects would you recommend I take?

In an ideal world, I would study Chemistry, Spanish and Maths but I feel this makes my application for Chemistry look less appealing and it also completely stops me from doing Maths degree if I change my mind so I’m not sure.

I can do 4 A-Levels but the college strongly advises against it.
king axolotl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
As long as you do Chemistry (+ Maths for Oxford), then it doesn't really matter which other ones you pick. The Oxford website says that 'another science or Further Maths' is recommended - so maybe the third one is between FM and Biology.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by taylor swift !!)
I’ve decided I want to do a Chemistry degree at uni (hopefully at Oxford) and then possibly a GDL but I’m not really sure at the moment.

My A-Level options are between Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Further Maths and Spanish, so which would be the best for Chemistry imagining I’m equally good at and enjoy them all the same?

Okay NOW if I tell you that I like Biology enough to keep studying it but I do prefer the other subjects which subjects would you recommend I take?

In an ideal world, I would study Chemistry, Spanish and Maths but I feel this makes my application for Chemistry look less appealing and it also completely stops me from doing Maths degree if I change my mind so I’m not sure.

I see no reason why you cant do 4 A-levels (at least at year 12). Oxford require A*A*A for chemistry so after year 12 you may want to consider dropping one but you can always see how things are at the half way point.

tbh I would recommend: Chemistry, Maths, further maths, Biology (in that order of preference).
http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...ting/chemistry

Oxford requires you to take Chemistry, Maths + either another science or further maths.

I would recommend against Spanish as a fourth as it gives you the choice should you want to drop a subject later you wont have a choice in which subject at that point (as well as it being less relevant to further study).

Im assuming your in year 11 atm. I would also recommend you keep a broad mind into uni course in year 12 as A-level science (an university even more so) is very different to GCSEs. GCSE content is extremely trivial by comparison to everything coming afterwords and it might feel like a different subject at A-level.

I would also say dont narrow your uni choice to Oxford yet look around at other unis...
aviatoruk
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by taylor swift !!)

I'd suggest you start with 4 because then if you realise you hate one, you can drop it. I don't do biology but am aware it's very chemistry heavy, so that might be an idea.
If you want to do maths at a top uni, you will need further maths, so that's worth bearing in mind.
It might be worth asking why your college recommends against 4 A-levels because you may see their reasons don't apply to you. About half of my year of 150 (year 13) do 4, and there are still 9 of us who do 5, although that is an awful lot of work!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (96)
28.24%
No - I have already returned home (44)
12.94%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (65)
19.12%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (34)
10%
No - I live at home during term anyway (101)
29.71%

Watched Threads