The Student Room Group

Full mark Tissue poetry essay, feel free to ask questions :)

This essay that I wrote was done in my mock in exam conditions and checked my many teachers and unanimously agreed as a full mark response. You can use it for inspiration or homework help :smile: I can talk about how to get high marks if anyone wants too :smile:

"Explore how poets present the fragility of life in Tissue and one other poem."

Both Tissue and Ozymandias present the power of nature to be overwhelming and show life to have little meaning in comparison. In Tissue, Dharker describes human's attempts to map out the world as she describes "Maps too. The sun shines through their borderlines". Man's attempt to take control of the physical landscsapes is overshadowed by the sun that is always prevelant and highlights how insignificant manmade figures such as maps are in comparison. The imagery of the "sun" that "shines" could convey the idea that the sun is a powerful natural force that will always be present, whereas the maps that humans are trying to enforce are weak attempts to boast power and so represent that the power of humans is pale in comparison to the forces of nature implying that life is fragile when compared to the vast power that is nature. Corresponding with Tissue, Shelley's Ozymandias presents the fragiity of life through nature as a seemingly powerful figure is overcome by the strength and influence of nature. While Ozymandias may have believed his reputation to be long lasting and glorious, nature proves that the life he imagined is fragile compared to its wrath as his "trunkless legs of stone stand in the desert". The "trunkless" statue shows that the whole statue is missing parts of it, just like the left over reputation of the once great king Ozymandias, the statue and king are meaningless when brought to nature's attention.

It is clear to see how the fragility of life is shown in Tissue and Ozymandias as both poems feature examples of control. Clearly, life is controlled by nature through being compared to paper and tissue throughout the poem. The first stanza describes how "paper [is] thinned by age or touching" in order to establish the comparison of life to the fragility of paper. Arguably, the paper is used as a metaphor for human life being comprimised by little things like "age" which show the vulnerability of humans. The repetition of "paper" in the first and fourth line in the opening stanza establishes the fragility's importance as it is under control by such a weak thing like paper. In Ozymandias, the fragility of life is brought to our attention by the control Ozymandias had over the people under his rule. The statue is described to have a "sneer of cold command" to describe the way that the king ruled. The "sneer" facial expression shows the reader that Ozymandias was cruel and the people under his rule were at his mercy and must have had a fragile livelihood living under duress. The harsh "c" sounds when reading "cold command" perhaps mimic the way that the king ruled his kingdom and was cruel in his ways of ruling. The phrase is constructed alliteratively in order to highlight the importance of understanding that Ozymandias was a callous ruler as the word "cold" hints to the reader of the cruelty. The contrast between the "cold" ruling of Ozymandias to the environment which it is set in - a desert, emphasises the cruelty and oppression faced by his subjects and therefore indicates to the fragility of life as life can be brought down by an oppressive rule.

It is apparent that the fragility of life is shown in Tissue and Ozymandias as both poems are criticisms of human pride and it's insignificance to life's overall path. Dharker describes the "shapes that pride can make" in order to critique man made shapes - buildings - and present them as worthless in spite of greater forces. Clearly the "pride" is shown to be an undesirable feature as the buildings are minute in comparison to the "grand design". Arguably, Dharker's reference to the "grand design" has religious undertones as God's grand design is what has made the world what it is. Perhaps, Dharker's Tissue is criticising man's pride and their attempts at replicating God's creation with their buildings and shapes they boast with. Similarly, in Ozymandias, Shelley offers pride plenty of criticism in order to show the fragility of human life when met with the forces of nature. The aftermath of the great rule of Ozymandias is shown to be a "shatter'd visage" left on "lone levels of sand" to show the reader that despite the power the king may have believed he had, this pride will only give him the same fate we all will inevitably face. Shelley criticises human pride through Ozymandias' reduction to a broken down statue as - being a romantic poet - he was heavily interested in challenging those in authority and bringing about radical change. The radical change Shelley wanted to inspire through Ozymandias is perhaps the thought that life is fragile and time should not be wasted on excessive displays of pride and arrogance.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
wow, I've never properly understood Tissue but that is an incredible essay and has really helped me to see the themes included! Thank you for sharing!
Reply 2
Peng essay, innit fam.
Original post by Tolgarda
Peng essay, innit fam

thanks fam
Original post by esme05
wow, I've never properly understood Tissue but that is an incredible essay and has really helped me to see the themes included! Thank you for sharing!

Thank you!
I never really understood tissue either but i think avoiding it won't do any good. Forcing myself to write an essay on it forced me to understand it more because I could see it in a different light.
Don't you have to write a conclusion to get full marks?
OMG!!, Life saver I have an exam about comparing tissue and ozymandias!, tysm

Quick Reply

Latest