The Amish: Can we learn from them?

Watch
username5118698
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I really want to start a debate, or a discussion around the topic of: is modern life making us happy? To what extent is technological advancement making us happier people, making our society a happier one. Are we in a period of over-shoot, where the technological age is encroaching on our liberty and happiness? To what extent, if any, would embracing a simpler more rural life improve our mental health?

The Amish are members of a strict Mennonite sect which established major settlements in Pennsylvania, Ohio, and elsewhere in North America from 1720 onwards.

I want to share this video I saw on youtube about how Amish people in America live their lives. The video show the Amish living idyllic, agrarian lives. They do not drive cars or use electricity. Is the Amish's embrace of a by-gone era's way of life making them happier than the rest of us in the 21st Century?

In short, can we learn anything from the Amish?

Sammylou40
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
There is good and bad in every way of life. There’s no ideal. Even as a person of faith I am not sure I would want the strict control that comes of being Amish.
The notion of family, back to basics, sense of community, all great. But being cast aside for believing differently, not good
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (62)
17.13%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (102)
28.18%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (138)
38.12%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.26%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (12)
3.31%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed