The Student Room Group

MSc psychology conversion course northumbria

Hi! Thinking of doing a conversion course in psychology, I currently work as a music teacher and love it but have always been interested in psychology (also always used to want to do masters in music therapy but with limited courses and probably limited jobs at the end it’s looking unlikely) . Seems far fetched but I was thinking of then applying for clinical psychology doctorate at Newcastle (I know extremely competitive!). I just bought a house in Newcastle so pretty tied to the area, so was looking into Northumbria uni for the course. Was thinking it looked really good and obviously very handy for me but then reading on here it keeps getting really slated! (But not sure by anyone who’s actually been to Northumbria.. ) Im not really bothered about the prestige as long as the course is well taught and it won’t put me at a disadvantage when applying for doctorates. I also have a 1st class degree from Durham (in music but I also did a few modules in psychology and my undergrad double diss was quite heavily psychology based as it was about autism and music!) so i hope maybe that would help when applying for doctorates? Or not at all haha? Sorry but of a rambling post but yes, if anyone has done this course I’d be really grateful for any advice!
On a side note I also really want to get some books to start reading to check I’m actually interested before paying ££££s :’( so if anyone has recommendations/ reading lists I’d be super grateful!! Thanks in advance!
Reply 1
Hi,

Do you have anything that gives you registration for the BPS?
If not then I believe you will have to do a Masters level Psychology conversion course first, to give yourself Graduate membership with the British Psychological Society. This is usually a requirement for all doctorates, you can't be a registered psychologist without membership.
I've just received an offer to do the MSc Psychology conversion down south, they aren't too hard to get onto :smile:
Hi Beetroot! I'm wondering the same think about the psychology conversion programme at Northumbria Newcastle. Did you start this programme and if so do you have any thoughts about it? Thanks!
Hi there,

As you say you cannot really go far due to buying a new house (congrats btw!), it might be worth looking into completing a degree through distance learning as you would be able to complete it in the safety of your own home. Arden currently provides an MSc Psychology conversion course that you might be interested in and worth taking a look at.
Here's the link:
https://arden.ac.uk/our-courses/distance-learning/postgraduate/msc-psychology-bps

Toni,
Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest