The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
duluoz84
Oh - and yes you can defer. You may as well apply anyway, good chance to practice, and they don't hold it against you it you fail. As you mention, loads of people get in at their 2nd or 3rd attempts!

To get in to DFID you'll need a pHD minimum, preferably in development studies or similar. FCO are less interested in academic qualifications - more interested in the people who score the highest at the assessment centre.

You've already advertised your site on this dead thread...
duluoz84
And they got in to decent positions recently? Interesting if so.

IFIs Team, Climate Change Policy, Afghanistan Policy, DFID Economist, Regional Conflict Advisors...
Reply 22
Hi Ray

Thought I might be able to shed a bit of light on some things. I've only got my experience to go on, but maybe that will be helpful. I'm about to start as a faststreamer at the fco next week, on the economics scheme. I was attracted to the fco for much the same reasons as you, wanting to be working on international policy and had a strong interest in development. I also would much rather be placed somewhere in the developing world, rather than than USA/Europe etc. I don't have much extra experience other than the standard school-sixth form-uni route, but they still offered me a post. Also, as far as deferal goes, it's more difficult than it looks. My idea was defer my place, do a gap year and come back next year. Lots of people, including those working as faststreamers told me they thought it was possible. However, when it came to asking fco HR, they said they would only allow deferals for those accepted onto a masters course or on compassionate family grounds. Hope that has been useful!
Hi I had a question about the Civil Service Fast Stream - Im new to this site and there are loads of threads about the tests etc so thought it would be better to post my question on here.

Basically I was wondering if many people have already studied for a Master's degree before applying for the Fast Stream? After reading up on the different departments the one that seems the most attractive to me is the Houses of Parliament - I would relish the chance to become a Clerk and the least attractive to me is the Diplomatic Service but there looks like no work experience available unless you are a.)disabled or b.)an ethnic minority, has anyone else managed to get work experience with the Houses of Parliament Clerks?
Bumblebee83
Hi I had a question about the Civil Service Fast Stream - Im new to this site and there are loads of threads about the tests etc so thought it would be better to post my question on here.

Basically I was wondering if many people have already studied for a Master's degree before applying for the Fast Stream? After reading up on the different departments the one that seems the most attractive to me is the Houses of Parliament - I would relish the chance to become a Clerk and the least attractive to me is the Diplomatic Service but there looks like no work experience available unless you are a.)disabled or b.)an ethnic minority, has anyone else managed to get work experience with the Houses of Parliament Clerks?

Many people go into the Fast Stream having done something after university - be they masters degrees, PhDs or simply to get the fun stuff out of their system before selling their lives to the system - like me :smile:
Reply 25
Prince Rhyus
Many people go into the Fast Stream having done something after university - be they masters degrees, PhDs or simply to get the fun stuff out of their system before selling their lives to the system - like me :smile:

I like that doing a masters or PhD is havin done something after university :P
Bumblebee83

All external fast streamers in my department had done something after their undergrad degree, although not sure about HoP.
Reply 27
Prince Rhyus

In my case I did buying a house, ripping the insides out, building an extension and completely rennovating it throughout. Ok, the builders did most of the actual work, but I did most of the arguing with them...

I also got married in between my 2nd and 3rd years, and then when I 'did' the wife, I got stuck at home with two kids as a result.... :wink:

Sorry, I just couldn't resist that one....

Anyway, from what I've seen there are no real hard and fast rules over who will make it through the selection process based on how old you are, what you've done and so on. Obviously doing lots of 'stuff' helps when it comes to answering the competency interview questions at the FSAC, which as it turns out is something that you can and should prepare for in advance. I didn't two years ago, and whilst I'm sure that other weak points would have ensured that I still wouldn't have passed, I'm not going to make the same mistake this time if I get as far again...
Reply 28
All the best faststreamers have done stuff since leaving uni in my experience - they seem to progress in their careers quicker, the new grads seem to take a couple of years to 'settle down' to the idea of a full time job.

------------------------------------------
faststream.org.uk - advice and tailored consultancy on passing faststream exams
Reply 29
I've got an etray booked tomorrow but the more I read about CSFS the more I'm thinking of cancelling.
I got a first in Literature from the OU last year, and I found the FS on-line tests pretty easy.
But I'm an ordinary working Joe, from a w/c background, and I'm seeing things like : over a third of Faststreamers are from Oxford & Cambridge. And people taking "gap-years" in Africa. And I'm even older than "older than youz" Stomm. And I'm thinking, Christ, even if I made it on to the scheme, I'd be like a fish out of water!!
So think I'll just go for an EO job if one comes up locally. There, that's one less person competing for a place.
Reply 30
richaj
I've got an etray booked tomorrow but the more I read about CSFS the more I'm thinking of cancelling.
I got a first in Literature from the OU last year, and I found the FS on-line tests pretty easy.
But I'm an ordinary working Joe, from a w/c background, and I'm seeing things like : over a third of Faststreamers are from Oxford & Cambridge. And people taking "gap-years" in Africa. And I'm even older than "older than youz" Stomm. And I'm thinking, Christ, even if I made it on to the scheme, I'd be like a fish out of water!!
So think I'll just go for an EO job if one comes up locally. There, that's one less person competing for a place.

You do realise that its people like you pulling out/not applying that means 40% of entrants are Oxbridge. Almost 1,500 people from Oxbridge apply, compared to 35 ish from the OU. Coupled with them 'being good' (otherwise they wouldn't have got into Oxbridge) its quite natural 40% of the people getting through are from there. 90% of Oxbridge applicants fail to get a place.

Why do you think being from a working class background/from the OU affects your chances?

Not sure what the reference to gap years in Africa was about :s-smilie:

Stomms quite young, unless you're over 50 then you would be out of place.

Everyones a fish out of water on the fast stream, thats the point. You really think a Cambridge grad running a jobcentre initially feels comfortable?
Reply 31
sorry, I did sound like I had a chip on my shoulder there. But I seriously think it is a waste of time, I've reached assessment centre stage at other places, and if you haven't done anything special, you just lose out to someone who has been a high acheiver. Not whingeing, just facts, and I don't want to jump through all the hopes for nothing.
Reply 32
richaj
sorry, I did sound like I had a chip on my shoulder there. But I seriously think it is a waste of time, I've reached assessment centre stage at other places, and if you haven't done anything special, you just lose out to someone who has been a high acheiver. Not whingeing, just facts, and I don't want to jump through all the hopes for nothing.

Since the interview is around 1/6th of the assessment centre in terms of score its hardly make or break. What gets you through is the performance during the exercises. So if you haven't 'done anything' then it wont hurt you too much.

Nobody knows your background. I did a couple of assessment centres before FSAC and failed them and my interview didn't go that well.
Reply 33
richaj

I don't think that doing anything 'special' is the important bit, it's just remembering what you have done and how relevant it is to the competencies being tested in the interview, which of course as I haven't got through this year I cannot remember due to not obsessively reading the FSAC booklet...

There is no single 'faststreamer' sort of person as such, it is not all full of Oxbridge types, and indeed people from all sorts of different backgrounds are really what makes an organisation great, and unlike many private sector organisations I would say that the Civil Service is far less stratified by background.

Anyway, no amount of waffling from me is going to really mean anything. I've tried to type at least two anecdotes and seen they were pants. But basically if you want to do it, then damn well do it. I've applied for the FS three years on the trot now, and oddly enough seem to be doing worse each time I apply. My excuse is that having young children rots the brain, but hopefully this year I'll be able to do some things a little more mentally stimulating than changing nappies. I'm already considering getting an iPhone just to help with scheduling our daughter's social lives...

So anyway, there is no such thing as a wasted effort. If you go through the process and get through then bloody marvellous, and if you get that far then you have every chance of getting to the final goal, honestly I think that the FSAC is as much about stamina as anything else. And if you don't get past the FSAC, or even as I have (probably) done this year and last, fall at the eTray, then at least you know you were clever enough to get that far, and perhaps more importantly ticked all the right boxes on the competency questionnaire and so would likely fit in really well in most Civil Service jobs...

Anyway, I've got about six different types of banana seed to soak prior to sowing. One of my 'projects' this year is to try growing some tropical plants, and keep them alive until next year. After all, if you are going to do something you may as well try something difficuilt...
Reply 34
thanks folks, for your input. I think its probably fear of failure holding me back a bit...perhaps I'll give it a go.
Reply 35
It's really not a particularly difficult process imho. And if peeps from oxford can do it - anyone can!
Reply 36
guys - you persuaded me. I went for the e-tray thang yesterday in Bristol. I can't comment much because I don't know if I've passed or failed. But it wasn't as complicated as I had expected it to be. Also, I was not the only "mature" student there, which was a pleasant change. Stomm, how do you grow bananas in this climate? And did you know you can buy a huge bag of them for £1 at Asda?
Not sure how old you are but I met a DFID Fast Streamer yesterday who was at least 40 and had started in the last couple of years. He wanted a career break, and my view and that of my manager was that his experience was a huge benefit to the Civil Service and he stood out compared to other new entrant fast streamers
Reply 38
richaj
Stomm, how do you grow bananas in this climate? And did you know you can buy a huge bag of them for £1 at Asda?

Carefully is the answer, the slightest touch of frost will kill pretty much all banana leaves. But some varieties are pretty frost-hardy, coming from the Himalayas, etc... And whilst the foliage might die down, they will regrow from the roots. If you take measures to frost protect the pseudostem, then you might even be able to preserve some of the height.

This is my first year of really trying to grow ornamentals, I had a very successful blueberry crop last year, and so many cucumbers and tomatoes I really didn't know what to do with them all. I suppose a huge tub of salsa would be been the thing to do...

I'm also having a go at growing ginger lilies, and bird of paradise plants...
Reply 39
I am growing loads of different varieties of chilli plants at the moment - it's fun but difficult!

Latest

Trending

Trending