Is it acceptable to wear an upside down cross?

Watch
_Jss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I was raised as a Christian, and although I generally wouldn’t consider myself under any religion now, I still wear clothes and jewellery with such symbols. Some are pentagrams and crosses as I’m into the gothic style. Obviously I don’t want to offend anyone and I’m not wearing the symbols particularly out of belief or disbelief in religions (mostly for the style) as I respect all religions, but I understand that some people may dislike it. I’ve recently bought a top which I love but it has a massive printed upside down cross on the front of it. Would people still find it offensive? Everyone has their own beliefs, but is it right if someone is offended especially since there are also religions that worship the devil which it would be the complete opposite of offensive? I was just wondering peoples opinions on this as I’m not sure whether more people do or don’t find it okay??
The_Lonely_Goatherd
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You mean like a cross with an upside down figure on it? Technically that'd be St Peter rather than Jesus :beard:

It's the kinda thing I'd probs be momentarily outraged by, tbh, but that's just me Maybe don't wear it around any practicing Christian family members (assuming you might still have some?) though, just to be on the safe side :ninja:
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
An upside down cross is technically still a Christian symbol but I don’t think anybody tell you even if they were offended
gjd800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've worn worse

In a church, as well :laugh:
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Yes, its fine.
In my experience, militant atheists are more likely to complain about fashion or jewellery items involving the cross than religious people.
An upside down cross is often interpreted as a reference to the death of Saint Peter.

I'm lazy catholic and have quite a collection of jewellery & fashion accessories.
All seeing eye, angel figures, ankhs, bast cat pendants, crucifixes, celtic jewellery, fleur-de-lis, hamesh hand, horseshoes, pentagrams, magen david and masonic items.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
where what you want🤷

someone will always be offended by what you wear so why bother trying to please everyone.
sinfonietta
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Wear upside down crosses and worse on a regular basis. No one ever says anything negative - including the people stood with bibles outside the city's major stations.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (62)
17.32%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (100)
27.93%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (137)
38.27%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (48)
13.41%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.07%

Watched Threads