This discussion is closed.
CatusStarbright
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Mainline421)
No I can't support bringing back the death penalty under any circumstances, innocent people will be killed (as evidenced by the number proven false accusations recently), and rapists would not be properly punished, death isn't a punishment for many it would be vastly preferably to a life in prison. Do we really want the state to be deciding who lives and dies?
Hear hear!
isrchow
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ANM775)
I disagree with this bill, prison is enough.

I know two people falsely accused of rape, for one the girl admitted it and the case never proceeded. For the other, the case actually went to trail.

To think that men could actually not only lose their freedom but actually lose their lives due to spiteful womens lies is completely atrocious
Rape happens more than men are falsely accused.
isrchow
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
Hear hear!
But innocent people are being forcefully and violently penetrated. Innocent people are killed and those are rape victims
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by isrchow)
But innocent people are being forcefully and violently penetrated. Innocent people are killed and those are rape victims
Well... murder victims if they've been intentionally killed.
Cabin19
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Can't support the reintroduction of the death penalty in anyway. As what happens we kill someone off then 30 years later it comes out they didn't actually rape them! I do support the understanding behind it though rape needs to be viewed on the same level as murder as many victim's live the rest of their life in fear.
Last edited by Cabin19; 1 month ago
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Absolutely never would I support the punishment of death for any crime, it is a barbaric remnant of uncivilised society and deserves to remain in the past. Emphatic no.
5ATB
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
The death penalty is a barbaric relic of the past and should stay that way. Nay.
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Aye.
Could the death penalty be extended to terror offences and murder?

Never mind, I'll just have to write my own Bill.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
There are no notes. Should bills like that not be automatically rejected, Andrew97?

What about some vape sentencing for a change?
Forgive me, I'm not good at writing Bills :ninja:

(Original post by SnowMiku)
Perhaps a grace period of maybe 5-10 years in prison could act as a safeguard for this?
I may not be understanding you right so please correct me - do you mean 5-10 years in jail while investigations take place?

(Original post by Joleee)
i agree with the sentiment Glaz even if it is a legal impossibility. you missed or were not explicit enough to include oral and anal sex tho (which is the definition of rape in our current legislation). was that on purpose or a mistake?
I said intercourse, which I assumed would include both vaginal and anal. I forgot that oral was a thing however :ninja:

(Original post by Connor27)
I’m not opposed to executing rapists but as I explained to Glaz in the other place, I would prefer for the Bill to be more nuanced by defining it specifically in terms of mass rape.
As you said in the other place, you would define rape as three or more times. Do you really think that someone who's raped two people should be allowed to roam around with the potential of raping others, whether that's in jail or having been set free?

(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Aye.
Could the death penalty be extended to terror offences and murder?

Never mind, I'll just have to write my own Bill.
Go for it, but I only support it for rape so if you do that I won't be supporting it :fyi:
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by _Mia101)
What happens if someone has been falsely accused and then they are killed?
(Original post by ANM775)
I disagree with this bill, prison is enough.

I know two people falsely accused of rape, for one the girl admitted it and the case never proceeded. For the other, the case actually went to trail.

To think that men could actually not only lose their freedom but actually lose their lives due to spiteful womens lies is completely atrocious
(Original post by Em.-.)
False accusations are too risky. It’s too easy to say sex wasn’t consensual when it was as forensics can’t test this as effectively. I think rape should be punished with much longer sentences than it currently is, but the death penalty doesn’t allow people to be released and receive financial compensation if they’re found innocent later.
(Original post by PotatoFruit)
Nah cause what if people are falsely convicted? It’s happened before
(Original post by Thomp0)
Nay.
For false convictions alone, let alone the ethics.
With regards to false convictions, we will also be expanding methods of testing to see whether claims are true before any kind of sentence is made, which will hopefully get rid of false accusations.

I must say, however, even if we stick to a prison sentence for rape, false accusations will still happen, and yes they can be let free, but for many their lives will already have been ruined because of what they were dragged through, regardless of whether it was all a lie or not.

Hopefully, (although this may be too idealistic) false accusations would decrease if this came into practice. If somebody wants to do that because of hate for the other person, or to spite them or anything, I severely doubt that anyone hates anyone else enough to want them to die...
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by JMR2020.)
I do not support a bill which will bring back the death penalty - miscarriages of justice happen - and rehabilitation should be the focus of the justice system. And if rehabilitation cannot take place, then a lengthy prison sentence, which can often be a stronger punishment.
I'm understanding "lengthy prison sentence" to mean life - please correct me if I'm wrong

If any crime that gets the life sentence was that bad that it deserved a life sentence though, then that already says a lot about their prospects for rehabilitation.
If someone got sentenced to x amount of years (i.e. not life) then they have a chance for rehabilitation, but if someone's (theoretically) supposed to be in jail for their whole life, that means that the crime was so heinous that they don't have the capacity for rehabilitation.

That's how I understand life sentences at least.
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Andrew97)
B1546 – Rape Sentencing Bill 2020, Glaz MP

Rape Sentencing Bill 2020

An Act implementing those found guilty of rape to be given the death penalty.

BE IT ENACTED by the Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons, in this present Parliament assembled, and by the authority of the same, as follows:—

1: Offence of committing a crime of rape.

(1) It is an offence commit a crime of rape.

(2) For the purposes of this Act:—

(2) a. "rape" means any type of sexual assault involving sexual acts including but not limited to, intercourse and digital penetration, carried out against a person without that person's consent.,

(2) b. "death penalty" means any form of execution guaranteed to kill the criminal,

(2) c. "intercourse" is not strictly limited to the insertion of a penis and can occur with any object, including but not limited to, body parts, inanimate objects and sex toys.

2: Enforcement and Punishment

(1) Violation of this Act should be punishable by death penalty.

3: Exemption

(1) In cases of statutory rape, a team of psychologists should be enlisted to determine whether in each particular case, the minor had the mental capacity to make the decision to consent.

4: Extent

This Act extends to the United Kingdom.

5: Commencement

The provisions of this Act come into force immediately.

6: Short Title

This Act may be cited as the Rape Sentencing Bill 2020.

I didn’t know they let random TSR users pass laws now. Whilst you’re at it, can you pass an act to be cited as the Troll Sterilisation Act 2020?
Last edited by RedGiant; 1 month ago
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RedGiant)
I didn’t know they let random TSR users pass laws now.
I'm an MP
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Glaz)
I'm an MP
Wow, that’s impressive given that your profile states you took GCSEs only 2 years ago. I presume you’re an Oxbridge graduate? And that you have 20 years of experience?
Last edited by RedGiant; 1 month ago
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow, that’s impressive given that your profile states you took GCSEs only 2 years ago. I presume you’re an Oxbridge graduate, and that you achieved 10 A*s at A Level?
Uhhh I'm in year 13, I'm currently averaging BDE and I don't want to go to Oxbridge :ninja:
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Uhhh I'm in year 13, I'm currently averaging BDE and I don't want to go to Oxbridge :ninja:
Ah, so your parents are MPs or something?
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah, so your parents are MPs or something?
Nope. Mom is a math teacher and dad's retired but also used to be a university prof
shadowdweller
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
No from me, I'm against the death penalty in any circumstance.

I would be in support of a bill expanding the definition of rape though, as currently it's very limited.
CatusStarbright
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Wow, that’s impressive given that your profile states you took GCSEs only 2 years ago. I presume you’re an Oxbridge graduate? And that you have 20 years of experience?
This is a game whereby we act as the House of Commons, electing MPs and debating legislation etc. Glaz is a Labour MP here and I'm an independent MP. You are more the welcome to join in even if you aren't an MP (you just can't vote in the division lobby), and perhaps you might want to have a look around and see if you're interested in joining
Joleee
Badges: 18
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Glaz)

I said intercourse, which I assumed would include both vaginal and anal. I forgot that oral was a thing however :ninja:
i get what you're saying; it's just that historically, and some jurisdictions to this date, will classify anal as a different thing so i like my laws pedantic.

one thing i would have changed is section 2(1). should probably read 'punishable up to death' or something like that as sentencing guidelines always have a range to allow 'less' harmful offences to carry a lesser sentence and vice versa. or would you not agree? (btw good luck defending your bill i got 6 exams to study for.)
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (478)
66.48%
No (241)
33.52%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed