This discussion is closed.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Joleee)
i get what you're saying; it's just that historically, and some jurisdictions to this date, will classify anal as a different thing so i like my laws pedantic.

one thing i would have changed is section 2(1). should probably read 'punishable up to death' or something like that as sentencing guidelines always have a range to allow 'less' harmful offences to carry a lesser sentence and vice versa. or would you not agree? (btw good luck defending your bill i got 6 exams to study for.)
Of course, that can be changed

What would you classify as a "less harmful offence"?
RedGiant
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CatusStarbright)
This is a game whereby we act as the House of Commons, electing MPs and debating legislation etc. Glaz is a Labour MP here and I'm an independent MP. You are more the welcome to join in even if you aren't an MP (you just can't vote in the division lobby), and perhaps you might want to have a look around and see if you're interested in joining
lmao, that clears that up, thanks xD
The Mogg
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by RedGiant)
lmao, that clears that up, thanks xD
Although some of us are real MPs. For example, I am definitely the real Jacob Rees-Mogg :wink:
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Bailey14 you asked me why I would like to see the reintroduction of the death penalty for rape on the other place and I think it'll be better to answer it here as I feel that it is a question many people have.

In my opinion, rape is the worst crime. Worse than murder, worst than terrorism, worse than literally every other crime on the planet. Why? It ruins people's lives. Yes, murder, terrorism, etc all ruin people's lives, but when someone dies it can only affect people around them. I'm not saying in any way that it isn't awful and it destroys lives of family/friends, etc, but when someone's dead it makes no difference to them anymore. Nothing exists after death, so there won't be any memory of the murder, and even if there was some kind of afterlife/reincarnation/whatever I'm pretty sure that again the memory of the murder would be gone.

However, with rape the victim has to live with that until they die, and every single day there will be a memory. Every time they have sex with their partner will be a reminder. If they are anti-abortion and decide to keep the child (if there is one) that child will be a constant reminder, and however much they as a parent love their kid, it will be the spawn of their rapist.

I'm not speaking from experience here, I have absolutely no clue what it's like to be raped and I hope I never do. But I know people who've been raped and it's not easy for them. All of them say it's the worst thing that's ever happened, and I actually asked them, most of them did say they would be happy to see their rapist die.

Lots of you will disagree with me, but these are my reasons for wanting the reintroduction of the death penalty for rape but not for other crimes.
Bailey14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I thank my honourable friend for the answer they have given me. Having considered the response to my question, I am afraid that I still can not come to the conclusion that the re-introduction of the death penalty is the right route of action, and will continue to oppose this bill and vote against it, if and when it goes to division.
Paracosm
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I implore for this bill to not be sent to division, it is an affront to this place and does not have the necessary support, this bill will never pass
Bailey14
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Paracosm)
I implore for this bill to not be sent to division, it is an affront to this place and does not have the necessary support, this bill will never pass
I echo this comment. This bill seemingly can not obtain support from both the government and opposition and therefore it does not seem necessary that it should go to the division lobbies.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Bailey14)
I echo this comment. This bill seemingly can not obtain support from both the government and opposition and therefore it does not seem necessary that it should go to the division lobbies.
Very well, I shall withdraw.

CC Paracosm
SnowMiku
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Forgive me, I'm not good at writing Bills :ninja:

I may not be understanding you right so please correct me - do you mean 5-10 years in jail while investigations take place?

I said intercourse, which I assumed would include both vaginal and anal. I forgot that oral was a thing however :ninja:

As you said in the other place, you would define rape as three or more times. Do you really think that someone who's raped two people should be allowed to roam around with the potential of raping others, whether that's in jail or having been set free?

Go for it, but I only support it for rape so if you do that I won't be supporting it :fyi:
I mean min 5-10 years in jail before the sentence is carried out to give time for any new evidence, testimony etc to come to light
but I suppose that works too
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by SnowMiku)
I mean min 5-10 years in jail before the sentence is carried out to give time for any new evidence, testimony etc to come to light
but I suppose that works too
That's actually a good idea. I think however that if all investigations have been conducted before 5-10 years and the judge sentences the death penalty, would there be a need for the 5-10 years to be completed before the sentence is carried out?
SnowMiku
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Glaz)
That's actually a good idea. I think however that if all investigations have been conducted before 5-10 years and the judge sentences the death penalty, would there be a need for the 5-10 years to be completed before the sentence is carried out?
I would disagree, because time can reveal things that investigations at one point in time can't e.g a new witness might finally decide to testify now that the crime itself has passed a little
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Go for it, but I only support it for rape so if you do that I won't be supporting it :fyi:
Any reason for supporting the death penalty for rape but not murder?
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Any reason for supporting the death penalty for rape but not murder?
Have a look at reply 44
LiberOfLondon
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Glaz)
Have a look at reply 44
Thanks - I'll have to disagree with you on this one. I suppose it all depends on your views around a number of complex topics.

On retrospection I'll see what happens to this Bill before bringing my Capital Punishment Bill forward as that will affect whether I make rape a capital offence or not.
Glaz
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by LiberOfLondon)
Thanks - I'll have to disagree with you on this one. I suppose it all depends on your views around a number of complex topics.

On retrospection I'll see what happens to this Bill before bringing my Capital Punishment Bill forward as that will affect whether I make rape a capital offence or not.
Have a look at reply 48
04MR17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Would vote no on this until it's got some notes. With notes I'd abstain. Without notes no justification has been given for the bill and I cannot support in its present form.

What I think would be successful in passing the house is death penalty for rape re-offenders.
Andrew97
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This item has been withdrawn.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (479)
66.44%
No (242)
33.56%

Watched Threads