Are my A levels useless?

Watch
InJailOutSoon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 months ago
I do biology, chemistry and English literature and don't think I can pursue the sciences...
cheerIeader
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
.....You're literally taking 2/3 of the sciences and 2/2 of the important ones to pursue the sciences.
hana.zq
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Taking biology and chemistry is enough to pursue a degree in the sciences. Taking 2 out of the 3 sciences available will make you very favourable to universities.
TheKidLaroi
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
NO A LEVELS ARE USELESS. If you wish to pursue undergraduate study, English lit can tie in to many degrees. Bio and Chem are also considered "tougher" subjects, so regardless if you wish to pursue them or not, unis and employers would be impressed with such qualifications. Ye your A levels are good wouldn't worry at all.
InJailOutSoon
Rep:
?
(Original post by hana.zq)
Taking biology and chemistry is enough to pursue a degree in the sciences. Taking 2 out of the 3 sciences available will make you very favourable to universities.
I can't pursue a degree in the sciences because the only way I will survive is with my tutor, who helped me get through GCSEs! I'm not smart enough...
hana.zq
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by InJailOutSoon)
I can't pursue a degree in the sciences because the only way I will survive is with my tutor, who helped me get through GCSEs! I'm not smart enough...
Are you in Year 12? If so, then Bio and Chem seem quite difficult at first. Once you put enough work into it, you will start doing well by summer. All you have to do is put the work in and see the hard effort give you your results. I have a friend who isn't as intelligent as many others in my year (I attend a grammar school), but she constantly studies and goes above and beyond, and has gotten amazing results.

If you want to really pursue the sciences, then you have to work hard for it. There's no going around it. Even the most intelligent people in my school had difficulties with Chemistry and Biology - being naturally clever during A-Levels won't even save you. You've just got to put the amount of work in, that's all.
InJailOutSoon
Rep:
?
(Original post by hana.zq)
Are you in Year 12? If so, then Bio and Chem seem quite difficult at first. Once you put enough work into it, you will start doing well by summer. All you have to do is put the work in and see the hard effort give you your results. I have a friend who isn't as intelligent as many others in my year (I attend a grammar school), but she constantly studies and goes above and beyond, and has gotten amazing results.

If you want to really pursue the sciences, then you have to work hard for it. There's no going around it. Even the most intelligent people in my school had difficulties with Chemistry and Biology - being naturally clever during A-Levels won't even save you. You've just got to put the amount of work in, that's all.
But then what could I do with a science degree? And I'll have to retake GCSE maths because I got a 5 instead of a 6 so it'll distract me in year 13 won't it?
hana.zq
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by InJailOutSoon)
But then what could I do with a science degree? And I'll have to retake GCSE maths because I got a 5 instead of a 6 so it'll distract me in year 13 won't it?
I believe that GCSE Maths re-sits are in the next few months or so. I'm pretty sure you can apply now and try to retake it during Year 12 rather than in Year 13. Do research on this, I don't personally know when the resits are.

Do some more research about what it is you really want to go towards to. With A-Level Biology and Chemistry, you could go towards Medicine, Biomedical Sciences, Biochemistry - a lot of different degrees are available with those two sciences. When I was in Year 12, I was adamant about pursuing a career in Business by applying for an Economics degree, but I've changed my mind since then, and now I am applying for Psychology.

The overall advice is to just do more research. Look at prospects.ac.uk about details of each degree and jobs that look interesting to you, and attend open days at universities and look at the different degrees that they offer there. You can write a list of questions and ask people at the universities about what they think about certain degrees, etc.
ArtmisKco
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Haha they’re amazing alevels to do. U can even do medicine do u want too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What do you want most from university virtual open days and online events?

I want to be able to watch in my own time rather than turn up live (187)
29.17%
I want to hear more about the specifics of the course (106)
16.54%
I want to be able to dip in and dip out of lots of different sessions (58)
9.05%
I want to meet current students (54)
8.42%
I want to meet academics and the people that will be teaching me (51)
7.96%
I want to have a taster lecture or workshop to see what the teaching is like (127)
19.81%
My parents/guardians are more interested than me to be honest (38)
5.93%
Other things – I'll tell you in the thread (20)
3.12%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise