Can I not get vaccinated, or do they check? Watch

Anonymous #5
Report 6 days ago
I hope they do check and don't let you go unless you've had the vaccine. You are putting other people at risk by not being vaccinated.
mpaprika
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
it’s 100 percent certain I do not carry this illness, and my doctor actually says that the research into this vaccine isn’t conclusive at all, with so relatively few cases being reported with no evidence being inoculated actually helps. so I will be truthful with the uni about that, so be it.
you might not have it now but you might catch it??
black tea
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
it’s 100 percent certain I do not carry this illness, and my doctor actually says that the research into this vaccine isn’t conclusive at all, with so relatively few cases being reported with no evidence being inoculated actually helps. so I will be truthful with the uni about that, so be it.
Of course you don't "carry" meningitis, if you did, you would very unwell. Meningitis kills people - why not just have the vaccine when it won't do you any harm and might save your life? Even if you do get it like your friend, you are likely to be much less unwell than if you hadn't been vaccinated. My friends' baby had meningitis and was in ICU for 3 weeks - she is lucky to be alive and is likely to be neurologically damages for the rest of her life.
Anonymous #6
Report 6 days ago
If you're stupid enough to not get vaccinated I doubt university will teach you much anyway.
Isinglass
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I hope they do check and don't let you go unless you've had the vaccine. You are putting other people at risk by not being vaccinated.
I suspect that the OP is only interested in asserting their own rights, not in their responsibilities with respect to society as a whole. If other people want to be protected against disease by immunisation, that's up to them, etc?
Anonymous #5
Report 6 days ago
(Original post by Isinglass)
I suspect that the OP is only interested in asserting their own rights, not in their responsibilities with respect to society as a whole. If other people want to be protected against disease by immunisation, that's up to them, etc?
some people can't be vaccinated for health reasons and rely on heard immunity to be protected.
threeportdrift
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
You seriously need to do some reading about how vaccines work!
Isinglass
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
some people can't be vaccinated for health reasons and rely on heard immunity to be protected.
Yes, exactly.

But the OP obviously believes that the harm that he could be instrumental in causing those people is of secondary importance to the wrong that he would suffer by being expected (let alone forced) to be vaccinated for both his own and the common good.
artful_lounger
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
Even outside of your own health not getting vaccinated is extremely irresponsible for the health other people - by this point you should have learned about herd immunity, but if not it is easy to find information about the principles online. You getting vaccinated protects others who cannot - not because of some personal preference that has no root in health restrictions, but because they have a compromised immune system due to e.g. cancer or similar. This is not only the other students, but also staff (academic and non-academic) and even random people on the street.
Admit-One
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 days ago
I have colleagues at the university where I work who are periodically immunocompromised, including my partner. So as you might imagine I don’t have much time for this kind of foolishness.

Consider how your behaviour could be harmful to others. That’s about all I can say whilst being polite.
PotatoFruit
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
No hate here please, but I have read that before going to uni this september I must ( they said that in writing) get a meningitis vaccine. For several reasons I do not want to do this, and I am according to my GP in perfect health, having not been vaccinated at all. I have never had any issues with illness, and no, I do not live in a bubble. Will the university check that I have had the vaccine or is it something they say but don’t enforce?
This is really worrying me.
Simply put, you are tapped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Jan '20
  • SOAS University of London
    Development Studies, Interdisciplinary Studies, Anthropology and Sociology, Languages, Cultures and Linguistics, Arts, Economics, Law, History, Religions and Philosophies, Politics and International Studies, Finance and Management, East Asian Languages & Cultures Postgraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20
  • University of Huddersfield
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 25 Jan '20

How many universities have you heard back from?

0 (91)
12.83%
1 (89)
12.55%
2 (89)
12.55%
19.18%
22.99%
19.89%

Watched Threads