Marrying a non christian

Watch
Judy13
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So me and my bf come from south india and have been together nearly 3 years. I recently told my parents about my bf and my desire to marry him. They are against our relationship as our family is Christian whereas my bf's mum is Christian and dad hindu. Bcs india is a male orientated country, indians will see my bf as a hindu since his dad is a hindu. My parents have been telling me to break up with him as i shouldn't be with a hindu etc. So i was wondering of it is wrong for a christian to be with a non christian?
My bf doesn't identify as either religion but does pray to god as that's something his mum taught him.
frankafru
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I am Christian (Catholic) dating a non-religious person now. I've been told to break up or at least be more cautious when searching for a partner. I do not come from India so I can't understand specific difficulties you two may face, but I would like to suggest that if you do get married with him to be ready to face legal recognition as a Hindu and whatever that entails. That's one level; the other being regular family life. You should avoid troubling his or your family as much as you can in general, but if you can't help it then that's something you'll have to bear if you marry him. If you care about your faith that much, his inclination to prayer is a good start, but if you'd like more you should not expect him to support you spiritually (even if you'd like him to). It can be difficult, if you two don't share the same values but the key is to gauge if he's willing to work with you to solve problems and not simply force his will onto you. Hope that helps.
Leviathan1611
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
yes, it's a bad idea, I don't recommend it.

you said you wanted to marry him, have you two discussed how you will go about married life, as in, how will you raise your kids? what forms are discipline will you use? are you able to get along despite your religious views? are you fully compatible?
if you haven't discussed those sort of things, then I don't think you should even be considering marriage at this point, because you're just setting yourselves up for an unhappy marriage or even a divorce.
Judy13
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
yeah, we have discussed how we'd raise kids and it has been decided that kids will be raised as christians. Tbh he doesn't label himself as a christian but does pray and do believe in god.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I support interfaith marriage.
I'm a lazy catholic and have dated guys of many different religious persuasions.
My mother came from an ultra-traditionalist catholic family; she was almost beaten to death and disowned when she told them she was going to marry an atheist.

Religion is a choice based upon personal faith and beliefs.
Not an automatic inheritance or tribal affiliation.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (57)
17.27%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (93)
28.18%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (125)
37.88%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (44)
13.33%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (11)
3.33%

Watched Threads