The Student Room Group

I'm a trained commercial pilot, in July I will be flying to all 7 continents - AMA!

Hello!

My name is Jonny and I am an FAA single & multi engine Commercial pilot with instrument rating. I also hold a BA Hons degree in International Business Management. In July 2020 I will be departing from Farnborough International Air Show on a flight that will see me flying a single engine aircraft to all 7 Continents with the aim of breaking down the stigmas associated with a career in aviation and STEM related studies.

I learnt to fly in the USA in Vero Beach Florida and benefited from high levels of flight training from Flight Safety Academy and Paris Air Inc.

After I qualified I was lucky enough to be able to hone my skills as an aircraft broker and ferry pilot for SkyShepherd Aviation where I was able to experience flying various aircraft throughout the US and in Europe, learning what 'real-world' flying was all about.

Since returning to the UK I have taken up the role of Commercial Manager at Ford Aviation LTD, where I am an integral part of a well established team that are global leaders in aircraft charter and leasing to both airlines and Tour Operators throughout the UK, Europe and worldwide. I am also an active participant in the APPG-GA STEM working group, along with being a STEM ambassador for STEM learning UK.

β€œThe problem we are facing is that the demand for STEM professionals, especially here in the UK is outpacing the supply, forcing employers to look towards outsourcing from overseas as post secondary schools have too few graduates in STEM fields to deal with the demand.

The perception that people have of aviation, is that it is an expensive area to get into...... and out of reach of your average person. Through our outreach events and this trip we will aim to show to the world the availability of advantageous resources that can help overcome this mis-conception” - you can learn more about the STEM Flyer project here.

I will be online answering questions from the 20th January - Ask me (almost!) anything :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Did you receive any funding for your training and if not how much did you set aside for the training
Reply 2
Original post by STEM-FLYER
"The perception that people have of aviation, is that it is an expensive area to get into...... and out of reach of your average person. Through our outreach events and this trip we will aim to show to the world the availability of advantageous resources that can help overcome this mis-conception”

"I'm going on an expensive global jolly to show people that aviation isn't expensive"...

Good luck with that :rolleyes:

Flying is expensive - it's only going to get more so - it's still sought after.

And what stigmas are there against STEM subjects?
If they're so good why didn't you study one?
(edited 4 years ago)
do you think that obese passengers should pay more ?

:holmes:
Pilots are so hard to be due to lack of advertisement etc,they should advertise or promote trainee pilot courses on UCAS where their loan can cover the costs and then people will have fewer money worries, and it will create a massive opportunity for people who want to be pilots but are unsure how to get into the business.
Hello!

My name is Jonny and I am an FAA single & multi engine Commercial pilot with instrument rating. I also hold a BA Hons degree in International Business Management. In July 2020 I will be departing from Farnborough International Air Show on a flight that will see me flying a single engine aircraft to all 7 Continents with the aim of breaking down the stigmas associated with a career in aviation and STEM related studies.

I learnt to fly in the USA in Vero Beach Florida and benefited from high levels of flight training from Flight Safety Academy and Paris Air Inc.

After I qualified I was lucky enough to be able to hone my skills as an aircraft broker and ferry pilot for SkyShepherd Aviation where I was able to experience flying various aircraft throughout the US and in Europe, learning what 'real-world' flying was all about.

Since returning to the UK I have taken up the role of Commercial Manager at Ford Aviation LTD, where I am an integral part of a well established team that are global leaders in aircraft charter and leasing to both airlines and Tour Operators throughout the UK, Europe and worldwide. I am also an active participant in the APPG-GA STEM working group, along with being a STEM ambassador for STEM learning UK.

β€œThe problem we are facing is that the demand for STEM professionals, especially here in the UK is outpacing the supply, forcing employers to look towards outsourcing from overseas as post secondary schools have too few graduates in STEM fields to deal with the demand.

The perception that people have of aviation, is that it is an expensive area to get into...... and out of reach of your average person. Through our outreach events and this trip we will aim to show to the world the availability of advantageous resources that can help overcome this mis-conception” - you can learn more about the STEM Flyer project here.

I will be online answering questions from the 20th January - Ask me (almost!) anything :smile:

How do you feel about the future of commercial flights when it comes to climate change and the immense impact that the aviation industry has on the climate crisis, and does it ever affect you in how ethically and morally comfortable you feel in your job?
Do you also think that the aviation industry has to develop in order to have less of an impact on the climate, and if you do how should it go about it?
@Stem-Flyer why did you decide to become a pilot? :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by coconuter
How do you feel about the future of commercial flights when it comes to climate change and the immense impact that the aviation industry has on the climate crisis, and does it ever affect you in how ethically and morally comfortable you feel in your job?
Do you also think that the aviation industry has to develop in order to have less of an impact on the climate, and if you do how should it go about it?

Flying is better, per km, than driving;

_108485539_optimised-travel_carbon-nc.png
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
Flying is better, per km, than driving;

_108485539_optimised-travel_carbon-nc.png

It's worth pointing out that car here refers to "average diesel car". The average CO2 emissions for a car (all types) in the EU is around 120g/km so this graph is a bit misleading.
Reply 9
Original post by Sir Cumference
It's worth pointing out that car here refers to "average diesel car". The average CO2 emissions for a car (all types) in the EU is around 120g/km so this graph is a bit misleading.

Which is still more than a long haul flight.

So, the moral of the story is, if you're going to fly, go a long way.
Who are you doing outreach for in Antarctica? The penguins?
Reply 11
Original post by Drewski
Which is still more than a long haul flight.

So, the moral of the story is, if you're going to fly, go a long way.

No that's per km. So a long haul flight will be much more than all of them :smile:
No that's per km. So a long haul flight will be much more than all of them :smile:

120g/km is more than 103g/km...
Reply 13
Original post by Drewski
120g/km is more than 103g/km...

Yes I know but the average long haul flight is 4000km which equates to around 400,000g of CO2! The average car journey produces a fraction of that amount.
Original post by brainzistheword
@Stem-Flyer why did you decide to become a pilot? :smile:

Was just about to tag you in this :lol: :hugs:

--------------------
What advice would you give someone who has never been on a plane before for their first trip?
Yes I know but the average long haul flight is 4000km which equates to around 400,000g of CO2! The average car journey produces a fraction of that amount.

Per person, per kilometer, the plane comes out in front.

Or, show me a car that can fit 300+ people in at once...
Reply 16
Original post by Drewski
Per person, per kilometer, the plane comes out in front.

Or, show me a car that can fit 300+ people in at once...

Brought to you by SqueezyJet, quarter of the price but no room to fart.
Original post by DiddyDecAlt
Brought to you by SqueezyJet, quarter of the price but no room to fart.

Farting costs extra.
I also hold a BA Hons degree in International Business Management. In July 2020 I will be departing from Farnborough International Air Show on a flight that will see me flying a single engine aircraft to all 7 Continents with the aim of breaking down the stigmas associated with a career in aviation and STEM related studies.

Why aren't your sponsors sending someone with a STEM degree?

Why aren't you using a STEMME for the challenge (https://www.stemme.com/ )?

Who are your flying heroes/heroines?

How much are you paying TSR for this account and promotion?

:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest