The Student Room Group

Why have I been rejected from Cambridge

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Quick-use
Your personal statement was probably very bad. This is why us Brits spend time and energy on it (so we don't get rejected by our first choice universities).

Can i double-like this comment somehow?
I saw that comment just before this post and you honestly made my day.

OP, you should have spent more time on your PS. It sound exactly like something that you'd put together in 3 hours. We spend weeks to months on it because there is a way of writing it.
For example, you wasted a lot of characters. "Truly" "uncle/dad" or family members "ever-changing" (i believe it was something along those lines). As well as this you should have put way more specific things in it: what specific topics in Engineering interest you? Why? What steps did YOU take (ie rather than opportunities that presented themselves) to learn more about them?
And, I don't know about other unis but PS'es for Oxbridge need to be very academic rather than you introducing yourself.
As well as FM, i think your PS might have been another reason why they didn't offer you a place. no worries though, you can always try again next year or go to another wonderful uni!
Reply 21
Original post by VoteLabour
@Ryan220022 sorry you got rejected, you can always take the year off and reapply with your achieved grades. If you do, I really think it would be beneficial for you to revisit your personal statement. In my opinion, it is lacking experiences which show you are capable to carry out independent study for the subject you're passionate about. Just mentioning your family connections isn't sufficient, you need to explain how you personally arranged things to further expand your knowledge rather than relying on your family. Don't compare the UK to your own country, just say why the UK education system. suits you as a person etc etc
Best of luck.

I most probably will start my engineering degree in one of these unis (Edinburgh University,Manchester University, Leeds University ) as I was accepted in them But I surely will re-apply while doing my degree next year and If I'm accepted ill drop out from my current uni and go to Cambridge
Reply 22
Original post by krinyapajti
Can i double-like this comment somehow?
I saw that comment just before this post and you honestly made my day.

OP, you should have spent more time on your PS. It sound exactly like something that you'd put together in 3 hours. We spend weeks to months on it because there is a way of writing it.
For example, you wasted a lot of characters. "Truly" "uncle/dad" or family members "ever-changing" (i believe it was something along those lines). As well as this you should have put way more specific things in it: what specific topics in Engineering interest you? Why? What steps did YOU take (ie rather than opportunities that presented themselves) to learn more about them?
And, I don't know about other unis but PS'es for Oxbridge need to be very academic rather than you introducing yourself.
As well as FM, i think your PS might have been another reason why they didn't offer you a place. no worries though, you can always try again next year or go to another wonderful uni!

:smile: I was trying to make the person In that post less stressed as he was running out of time (not that I promote rushing your personal statement in any way) I will hopefully re-apply next year but I don't think my personal statement was the issue it's me not taking further mathematics most probably.
Original post by emily_000
your personal statement is not that great. Mine has more details in it and I don't even go to Cambridge. And no I am not planning to post my personal statement, I do have brain cells, people are going to copy paste it. And btw I can easily copy paste your personal statement and say that is mine without anyone to notice it. Is easy, I can write a similar personal statement with similar words. Thank you btw for sharing your personal statement, I will read it again and maybe do steal some information from it :smile: oops. Actually I already copied it. oops :|)

Why are you being so nasty? Seriously.... no-one asked for your opinion or how you feel your personal statement is. Not a single soul.
Reply 24
Original post by RogerOxon
You don't have many GCSEs, lack FM (not your fault, but an issue) and your grades are not anything special for Cambridge. Lots of good candidates get rejected pre and post-interview. You'll have to wait for their feedback to really know why you were, but you're in good company. Oxbridge is always a "roll of the dice" application, IMO.

What did Imperial say?

Actually I didn't apply to Imperial but I received acceptance from my "second choices" (manchester university, Leeds University, Edinburgh University)
Why are you being so nasty? Seriously.... no-one asked for your opinion or how you feel your personal statement is. Not a single soul.

I am not nasty. I am honest. THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THOSE TWO. And I am trying to get him/her to understand (the person who made the thread) that by sharing his personal statement was a huge mistake.
(edited 4 years ago)
I am not nasty. I am honest. THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THOSE TWO. And I am trying to get him/her to understand (the person who made the thread) that by sharing his personal statement was a huge mistake because I did copy it. And other people are going to do the same.

Why would you copy someone else's personal statement? Especially if you said it was bad? You're the one who will be rejected for plagiarism, he has already submitted his application. So you do you.
Why would you copy someone else's personal statement? Especially if you said it was bad? You're the one who will be rejected for plagiarism, he has already submitted his application. So you do you.

nope:smile: I am not going to get rejected as I am not planning to copy it, I was just joking around. I just wanted him to understand his mistake.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by black tea
You only have 7 GCSEs, which is not a lot, and your PS is far from brilliant. In the UK, having connections is not something to be proud of - you are expected to be proactive and organise things yourself instead of relying on family to organise things for you. Also, you haven't said why any of your qualities or experiences would make you a suitable candidate for the course that you are applying for. You haven't really sold yourself with that PS - the last paragraph is OK (though you still need to say why those things would make you a good engineer), but the rest of it is not great.

Many people seem to have got on the wrong foot with me xD let me clarify (I was not being "proud of having connections" I just said I worked at my uncle's company because they can easily figure it out from his name and mine ..... the family name is the same that's all and your asked to provide his full details in the "employer section" in case you forgot in the UCAS application)
Original post by Ryan220022
Thanks a ton for your time dude appreciate it. (I know its not the end of the world and tbh it's their loss 100% what makes Cambridge a great uni is its student's members and staff and I can firmly tell you they just missed out on a great student that possibly could've done great research)

Research & undergrad are very different, at research level your not really applying to a uni, but to a research-group & supervisory team (and this likely wont happen till your masters year ie another 4 to 5 years from now). The research areas of Cambridge are flooded with over qualified candidates, they just look for the best candidates to fulfil the projects they have lined up, its far too early for you to be thinking about PhD etc. but if you were it would be silly not to consider a research group at Cambridge purely on the basis of getting rejected at undergrad. The admissions dept & procedures are completely different, plus in research its important to work with people who are the leaders of their respective field.
idc :smile: Do you actually think that is a good idea to post your personal statement on the internet?
Reply 31
when did you get rejected bc I swear we don't find out until Wednesday ???
Reply 32
Original post by TCL
Are you aware just how competitive Cambridge is for International applicants?

On a quick look it appears that in 2018, for engineering, 113 offers were made to 657 applicants, so 17%. At Sidney Sussex 2/16 international applicants got offers. As others have said, and as you can see from the FOI linked below, almost everybody has all A/A* grades. They tend to interview fewer Internationals as it is so expensive and time-consuming for internationals to get to interview.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/557669/response/1334628/attach/2/FOI%202019%20151%20Hock%20response%20letter%20and%20data.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1

Makes great sense This clarifies the picture thanks a ton (Silly of me but I actually had no idea that International applicants chances are lower than national ones)

Thanks in advance again :smile:
Reply 33
Ya basha inta raw3a habibi, el masriin a5la nas <3 shokran ktir did you apply to Cambridge too ?

Hahahaha and Yeah I did apply to Cambridge ... Queens College ( Engineering) but I didn't go to my interview... my other choices are UCL, Imperial, Manchester and surrey. Also Applying to a couple other unis in US and Canada
Your grades are fab. I think the problem is that Oxbridge is extremely competitive and perhaps you haven't got the experience that some of the other applicants have.
Maybe (just in my opinion) you could have looked at your PS a bit more and talked more about your love for the subject and stuff like why you are excited to start the course. Nowadays personal statements are a massive thing and I spent ages on mine and had to get a lot of help from others :smile:
Many people seem to have got on the wrong foot with me xD let me clarify (I was not being "proud of having connections" I just said I worked at my uncle's company because they can easily figure it out from his name and mine ..... the family name is the same that's all and your asked to provide his full details in the "employer section" in case you forgot in the UCAS application)

That was not the main point of my post. Your PS is substandard for Cambridge.
Original post by Emily2001x
Your grades are fab. I think the problem is that Oxbridge is extremely competitive and perhaps you haven't got the experience that some of the other applicants have.
Maybe (just in my opinion) you could have looked at your PS a bit more and talked more about your love for the subject and stuff like why you are excited to start the course. Nowadays personal statements are a massive thing and I spent ages on mine and had to get a lot of help from others :smile:

TBH whilst OPs PS is not great, I dont think thats the main reason for rejection (although it certainly did no favours).

-Low number of GCSEs
-minimum number of A-levels
-No Further math
-No STEP
-Interview performance

will be the biggest factors imo, You can take any one element of OPs academic and go they look great but compared to a nominal Cambridge student I think its clear OP is lacking depth.

If OP gets 3A* this still a great achievement and can go study at any number of fantastic unis in the UK or around the world.
Reply 37
Original post by Muttley79
Please remove the e-mail addresses from your post.

You could have self-studied F Maths ... anyway, in my opinion, there are better places to study engineering these days.

Multiple people told me to remove my email adress but I have not added any and Ive checked 3 times can you tell me exactly where ? You might be confusing the post where i stated my schools domain @alhussan.edu.sa this is not an email but just a domain for an email
I am not nasty. I am honest. THERE IS A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THOSE TWO. And I am trying to get him/her to understand (the person who made the thread) that by sharing his personal statement was a huge mistake because I did copy it. And other people are going to do the same.

This is absolutely correct.

Do not post any personal statement, even if submitted, to a public forum. It's a very bad idea for all involved, not just the person copying any content.
I most probably will start my engineering degree in one of these unis (Edinburgh University,Manchester University, Leeds University ) as I was accepted in them But I surely will re-apply while doing my degree next year and If I'm accepted ill drop out from my current uni and go to Cambridge

I don't think it's possible to apply to Cambridge while you're enrolled at another university. Or at least this is what the rules were around 3 years ago. @Doones, is this still the case?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending