saneelakhan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
my question is that why activation energy is negative....plzz explain the answer with logic and examples....
Elizabeth2002
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
Activation energy is never negative. It is the amount of energy particles need for them to react when they collide. Therefore, it can’t be negative.

However, the energy change of a reaction can be negative if it is exothermic. Energy change = how much energy is absorbed to break the bonds of the reactants — the amount of energy when the bonds of the products are made. So, if more energy is released than absorbed, then the energy change is negative.

For example, N2 + 3H2 —> 2NH3. This is a reversible reaction, meaning that the products are broken down into the reactants at the same rate that the products is made. Anyway, the forward reaction (making NH3) is exothermic; the energy change is negative as more energy is given out when bonds are made. However, the reverse reaction (making N2 and H2) is endothermic; the energy change is positive as more energy is absorbed to break bonds.

I hope this helps and that it’s clear as I’m typing this out on my phone
saneelakhan
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
then what's the factor behind that...
by increasing temperature the rate constant or rate of a reaction decreases....in that case they said activation energy is low....then I am not understanding it...can u please explain it.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (622)
33.73%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (776)
42.08%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (364)
19.74%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (82)
4.45%

Watched Threads