satsun
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
how do I get these two assessment objectives stronger?
princetonalec
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Could you clarify what you mean? Do you mean how do you get better at analysing and evaluating data, text, news stories?
satsun
Rep:
?
(Original post by princetonalec)
Could you clarify what you mean? Do you mean how do you get better at analysing and evaluating data, text, news stories?
Okay! So I’m doing Politics and and quite a substantial chunk of the qualification is evaluation and analysis. I - obviously - understand how to evaluate and analyse, but I’m looking for A* tips and how to make it really unique, not just generic answers.
princetonalec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Ah, I see! I did Government and Politics at my ALEVELS, but I don't know if I can give you too much help since I dropped it after getting a B in my AS.
Generally speaking evaluation and analysis are two different things. If I were to ask you to evaluate a video of an animals behaviour you may sum up what they are doing, compare it to some other animal videos of similar scenarios, and come to a general conclusion on what the behaviour suggests. If I were to ask you to analyse that same footage you'd go into the animals body language, the reasons for why, and you would cross examine it with other videos affording this same level of detail, to come to a detailed conclusion on the who what where when and why.
I found it easiest to use evaluation as groundwork for analysis, because when it comes to politics what you're looking for is both a broad understanding, and the ability to tease out the why.
So say you were given a question on gerrymandering. Lets say the question is ""Gerrymandering affects the results of elections within British politics more often than not", do you agree with the previous statement? Give reasons both for and against, and then come to your own conclusion".
Your evaluation would be concerned with definitions, arguments, and general consesuses. So to evaluate the claim you would look to suggestions from polls in recent years, look to the ways some areas have been voted in the 60s compared to the 90s, and use this data to see if there is a trend. Once you have the bricks laid, it's time to start with wallpaper (or analysis, in this analogy). You'd look into the why, ask questions of economic standing within these areas, how do we know that the same people who voted labour in the 1960s would vote labour in the 1990s? Youd look into current events regarding Gerrymandering, see the different ways in which it has been used both by the most recent Labour government and the most recent Conservative government. You may even look at things like tactical voting as an argument for, where people look at the leaning of their constituency and decide to vote Green instead of Labour or UKIP instead of Conservative because one or the other is more likely to win.
Really its just about getting that extra bit out of the question. I'd suggest talking to your teacher about this too: I did my ALEVELS 3-4 years ago now, and with how fast politics moves I wouldn't be surprised if they want something more.
Wishing you the best!
satsun
Rep:
?
(Original post by princetonalec)
Ah, I see! I did Government and Politics at my ALEVELS, but I don't know if I can give you too much help since I dropped it after getting a B in my AS.
Generally speaking evaluation and analysis are two different things. If I were to ask you to evaluate a video of an animals behaviour you may sum up what they are doing, compare it to some other animal videos of similar scenarios, and come to a general conclusion on what the behaviour suggests. If I were to ask you to analyse that same footage you'd go into the animals body language, the reasons for why, and you would cross examine it with other videos affording this same level of detail, to come to a detailed conclusion on the who what where when and why.
I found it easiest to use evaluation as groundwork for analysis, because when it comes to politics what you're looking for is both a broad understanding, and the ability to tease out the why.
So say you were given a question on gerrymandering. Lets say the question is ""Gerrymandering affects the results of elections within British politics more often than not", do you agree with the previous statement? Give reasons both for and against, and then come to your own conclusion".
Your evaluation would be concerned with definitions, arguments, and general consesuses. So to evaluate the claim you would look to suggestions from polls in recent years, look to the ways some areas have been voted in the 60s compared to the 90s, and use this data to see if there is a trend. Once you have the bricks laid, it's time to start with wallpaper (or analysis, in this analogy). You'd look into the why, ask questions of economic standing within these areas, how do we know that the same people who voted labour in the 1960s would vote labour in the 1990s? Youd look into current events regarding Gerrymandering, see the different ways in which it has been used both by the most recent Labour government and the most recent Conservative government. You may even look at things like tactical voting as an argument for, where people look at the leaning of their constituency and decide to vote Green instead of Labour or UKIP instead of Conservative because one or the other is more likely to win.
Really its just about getting that extra bit out of the question. I'd suggest talking to your teacher about this too: I did my ALEVELS 3-4 years ago now, and with how fast politics moves I wouldn't be surprised if they want something more.
Wishing you the best!
wow, thank you so so much! this will come in very handy!!!
princetonalec
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by satsun)
wow, thank you so so much! this will come in very handy!!!
No problem, just be sure to pass it forwards!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (364)
67.03%
No (179)
32.97%

Watched Threads